JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Barren Fig Tree

On 4/22/2023 at 2:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Luke 13:6-9) What caused Israel’s barrenness in Jesus’ time? What keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) from growing and maturing in our lives? What can we disciples learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree?

The barrenness was caused by the Israelites not repenting and not wanting to know him and accept him as Messiah.

We deter the fruit of the holy spirit growing in our lives by not walking the Jesus lifestyle. Maybe one foot in the world and one in Christianity. Not forgiving people and not repenting of their sin would also affect growth.

We can learn that we are not to be unfruitful like the Israelites. To draw near to God and abide in him. He is our saviour and Messiah and to repent of any sin.

Q5. (Luke 13:6-9) What caused Israel’s barrenness in Jesus’ time? What keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) from growing and maturing in our lives? What can we disciples learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree?

Israel was barren because they had lost their intimate connection with God--the Source and Giver of all things.  The same keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit from growing and maturing in our lives: we must stay connected to the Source.  Jesus reminds of this in John 15, 'I am the vine, you are the branches...apart from Me, you can do nothing.' From this Barren Fig Tree, we learn that bearing fruit in our lives is key.  Staying connected to the Source will allow that to occur.

During JESUS' time, lack of fruit came from lack of faith in people, and years of being oppressed by the Pharisees' and Sadducees' strong hold on the Israelites. There was no fruit in the nation because of years of idol worshipping and not staying the course with God when HE was intentionally stayed with the nation of Israel and pleading with them to love HIM and follow his laws thru the prophets. During the time of JESUS, Israelites where adding there own rules their own prejudices against themselves and their own people. 

What could keep the HOLY SPIRIT from growing and maturing in my life would be if I stray away spiritually from God and not studying or be honest with myself and pray faithfully and walk with the HOLY SPIRIT. By allowing "the world" to interfere in my emotions and influence me to egoism. 

What I can learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree is that I should not take God's patience for granted. He is giving me so many chances to turn away from selfishness (which bares no fruit) and receive the gifts of the HOLY SPIRIT and stay close to God and what HE wants for me. I need to re-soil my mind and spirit and give the nourishment it need to grow and that is by studying the WORD OF GOD continuously and faithfully believing in HIS promises and walk the walk. 

Israel's barrenness in Jesus time was caused by disobedience and rejection of God's teachings.  Self pride can be a killing factor in keeping fruit of the Holy Spirit from growing.  Let our good works speak for us. The willingness to follow God's commandments . Above all, we must love our fellow man. 

A5.

Israel’s bareness in Jesus’ time was mainly due to their jealousy and refusal to accept and welcome him. They saw Jesus as a threat to their position, as they saw Jesus attracting crowds and thought their position was threatened.

What keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit from growing and maturing are the acts of the flesh from Galatian 5:19-21- sexual immorality, impurity etc..

What we are learning from the parable of the barren fig is that we are alive today because the Lord Jesus Christ our Gardener has pleaded for more time for us to bear fruits or else we would be uprooted by the Lord God.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The people of Israel refusal to to repent and refusal  listen to Jesus.

Un forgiveness and un repent fulness.

For us to repent and to do good works.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Their unwillingness to repent and turn to God.

Our unwillingness for repentance.

To produce good fruit, to go forward and bring God to the people.

• 4 weeks later...

Q5. (Luke 13:6-9) What caused Israel's barrenness in Jesus' time? Harvest requires sowing as well as growing conditions. And there are seasons, times for the proper sequence. The Pharasees only took from the field.

What keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) from growing and maturing in our lives? Failing to plant. Or more correctly failure of faith. If all I have is debt and failure that is what I have to give to God. If I give of what I have he will honor my heart and reward me from his abundance of goodness and turn my life around. But we must give seed to hain harvest. We must invest ourselves.

What can we disciples learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree? Oddly there is an owner who knows three years. It takes a fig four years to five before the fig tree is giving good edible fruit. The parable says the vine dresser said. Indicating to me the owner or manager is much like poorly trained mangers today. No understanding of the nature of the process. Just demanding of right now answers. We must stay in harmony with the seasons God is placing before us. The vinedresser knew it would take one more year to get good fruit.

• 3 weeks later...

The spiritual leaders didn’t want God’s son to be with them and they were doing everything that they could to get rid of him. The thing that keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit from growing and maturing in our lives is we aren’t always willing to do the work that God wants us to do. We disciples can learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree that we need to get on board with Jesus or we too will be removed from his presents.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Luke 13:6-9) What caused Israel’s barrenness in Jesus’ time?
Unbelief in Jesus is what caused their barrenness. They were still waiting for the Messiah to come not realizing that he was here. They looked at Jesus as being a man born to Mary and Joseph and not the son of God. It also didn’t help that their religious leaders the Pharisees thought theyd surly know for themselves when the Messiah would come. Israel needed to repent and turn from their ways.

What keeps the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) from growing and maturing in our lives? Not wanting to repent of our ways. Thinking we know what’s we need what’s best for us. Looking and worshiping the creation instead of the creature. Not accepting God as our Lord and Savior.

What can we disciples learn from the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree? God is very patient with us, he gives us chance after chance to repent and turn back to him. We need to realize that sin leads to death, Jesus leads to life. The last thing we’d want to do is have God turn us to a reprobate mind set, it’s better to be saved then to die in our sin.