JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q30. Shepherd's Voice

• 5 months later...

Q30. (John 10:1-5)

Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples?

If we do not recognize our Shepherd's Voice, it is impossible to walk in obedience to His Will.  Jesus did nothing without hearing His Father's Voice... we are to live our life in the same way.  Knowing God's Word gives us a road map to what a Christian life looks like but, it does not tell us where to go, what to teach, who needs a word prayed over them, who needs to hear from a friend, when to move, when to wait, etc. etc. We MUST learn to decipher our Shepherd's Voice... but... if we hear His Voice and we do not obey Him, then His Voice will not be as clear to us the next time and if we continue to disobey, eventually, we will not recognize His Voice at all. There is no greater privilege than to KNOW the Creator of the universe... we must not ever become complacent to the Voice of the Living God.

What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd?

We become lost sheep... there is no one who knows the mind of God except the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 2:11) We cannot possibly walk in His Will if we decide we know what His Will is without waiting to hear from Him first.

What causes sheep to stray?

Impatience and pride.  We may hear from God but then we decide we are going to "help" Him because He's given us a Word and we get tired or discouraged waiting for it to happen so, we set out to "help" Him reach the destination.  We see this with the promise given Abraham for a son... this promise took years to be fulfilled, so Abraham and Sarah decided they needed to "help" God, maybe they "misunderstood" His promise... so they chose to sin and compromise their vows to each other in order to bring about their interpretation of His Will.  They were wrong and the Middle East is still at odds because of it.  First... God would never compromise His Holiness and sinless perfection in order to bring about His Will... the means NEVER justifies the way... We saw it again with Esau, Rebecca and Jacob... God would never call us to use deception to reach His desired Will.  We stray when we are impatient and take matters into our own hands because we somehow feel God needs our help.  Or, even worse, we stray when we think we know best and don't even wait to hear His Will but set out to accomplish our version of His Will on our own. God isn't looking for CEO's... He's looking for obedient servants just as His very Son displayed faithful servant led obedience.

Q30. (John 10:1-5) Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? What causes sheep to stray?

Only the Shepherd has good intentions and our safety and welfare in mind. And only the Shepherd knows which paths are safe and lead to green pastures, and which paths are filled with ditches, patrolled by wild animals, or lead to arid lands.

When we act independently of Jesus, our Shepherd, we rarely seem to find the path that leads to green pastures. We often wind up wandering down rocky, unsafe roads to destinations that are futile, empty, or filled with dangers. I don't know if it's possible to find the right paths and destination by ourselves. But even if we did, we wouldn't have the rich presence Jesus. We would lack the sense of belonging and fulfillment that comes from his companionship.

What causes sheep to stay? Selfishness, self-indulgence, a willful desire to have our own way, pride in our own abilities or knowledge, and stupidity or ignorance over who our Shepherd is, why we need to follow him, and what's at stake if we don't.

I know all of these are true, in different measures and at different times, of me. I sometimes go my own way because I want something that benefits me, because I want to have my own way, because I want to do what's easiest, because I think I know what's best, because I minimize or forget the dangers of ignoring Jesus... and that's why the conviction of the Holy Spirit is so important. It makes me stop, listen, rethink, look at where I am with fresh eyes, and then turn back quickly to God.

Q30. The Good Shepherd and His Sheep (John 10:1-5)

Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? ANSWER: Sheep respond to the voice of the shepherd because they have learned to trust the shepherd. They know that if they follow the shepherd, the shepherd will provide security and rest and lead them to good pastures and fresh water. In trusting and obeying The Lord is our shepherd who gives us what we need for abundant life, causes us to rest and be restored, leads us in the right way of living, protects us from evil, and never stops pursuing us with goodness and kindness. Learning to hear the Shepherd’s voice is probably the most important thing one could learn next to salvation. Even with salvation, you cannot come to Jesus without hearing His voice saying “Come, follow me.”

ANSWER: Life without God has no purpose or hope; man's worth comes only from the Lord. Apart from Him, we would walk through life without God. We would become distracted and lose sight of what was most important. Apart from Him, we can do nothing. Nothing to save ourselves. Nothing to redeem ourselves.

ANSWER: Sheep are sensitive creatures.  If a lamb gets rejected by its mother or the flock, it’s called a bummer lamb.  Without acceptance, the lamb will die.  It will literally grieve itself to death if the shepherd does not intervene.  We people are the same way.  We need love and acceptance; if we don’t find it at church, we will find it elsewhere. Most of the wandering sheep have purposefully left Jesus because they didn’t feel accepted by His flock. Being part of a congregation where you feel loved and accepted is a blessing.  But sometimes, we can become so entrenched in our church relationships we don’t realize we have formed an impenetrable clique. 

It is important for Christ's disciples to know His voice, the Holy Spirit, for this is the only way for Him to guide us, and teach us: then we must be obedient to His voice that we may lead others to Christ, and that we may enter into life eternal. 

When we act try to act independently of the Shepherd, not only do we go astray but we also lead others astray from the truth, from Christ. For we must all realize that we cannot do anything on our own, and without following Christ we will all fall. For Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, and there is no other way to the Father except through me. There is no other way to the Father, to the kingdom than through Jesus Christ. 

Sheep go astray when they fail to know the Shepherds voice, or if they do know it, they fail to follow Him. For in order to enter life eternal we must follow the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ. 

Q30. (John 10:1-5) Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? What causes sheep to stray? 

I too have witnessed the orderliness of sheep in the hills of Romania--the sheep dog was AMAZING!!!  It reminds me that our God is a God of order! It is so important to hear our Savior's Voice.  He leads us on the path to the fullest life!  We want to walk with Him eternally!!!  Unfortunately all the things you mentioned distract us from our Saviors Voice and cause us to stray: society, expectations, selfishness, whatever we are doing or even notice at the moment.

I love what Nyonka16 posted under What causes sheep to stray.  May we ALWAYS keep our open, church welcoming, and a loving family!!!!!

Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? What causes sheep to stray?

Knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it is important for disciples because only then Jesus can guide us, teach us, and use us much more effectively than before for His kingdom and His purposes.

The Shepherd's voice will not lead the sheep astray because He cares, loves and feeds His flock with good nourishment. Jesus Christ as the Good Shepherd has laid His Life for us so that the thief cannot claim us as his people. It is therefore important for the disciples to listen to listen to the voice so as to follow the Shepherd's instructions. God has an assignment for each sheep and the disciple must learn to listen to His voice and be obedient to His will.

When we act independently, we will miss His guidance and find ourselves acting out of His Will. The Word of God says that His Will is good, pleasing and perfect and therefore if we act independently, we will want to do that which satisfies us rather than that which we are called to do (The Great Commission).

The sheep go astray when they do not listen to the voice of the Shepherd. The sheep must learn to attentively listen to the voice of the Shepherd are there are many voices out there. When you do not learn to listen to the voice of God as His disciples, you may find yourself being confused by so many teachings which will lead us to destruction.

1. When we learn to discern Jesus' voice, then he can guide us, teach us, and use us more frequently and effectively than before. We can be an example and help to others when we know our Shepherd's voice.

2. It can be trouble for us and lead to destruction. We will become not knowing him, but knowing Satan. We become selfish and have pride.

3. Not listening and obeying the Shepherd's voice. Therefore, we will not know his voice. Having the wrong company and environment.  

Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? What causes sheep to stray?

God speaks to us through His Word. So, to hear His voice and to obey His commands requires us to read, study, and meditate on His Word. We need to be in prayer and have a personal relationship with our Lord. A verse in Psalms comes to mind: “I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You (Psalm 119:11). If only we can keep His Word as a special treasure in our heart. Before we put our trust in Jesus Christ as our Saviour, we all, like sheep go astray (Isa 53:6). We turn to our own way rather than faithfully following our Good Shepherd. Also, sheep tend to travel together and follow the lead sheep which often can land them in dangerous situations. True believers hear and know His voice; they would never follow strangers, or be led astray by false teachers. Jesus Himself does not merely lead the way; He is the way (John 14:6). "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6). He teaches us the way (Luke 20:21), guides us in the way (Luke 1:79), and opened for us a new and living way (Heb 10:20).

On 10/10/2023 at 1:38 PM, Niyonka16 said:

ANSWER: Sheep are sensitive creatures.  If a lamb gets rejected by its mother or the flock, it’s called a bummer lamb.  Without acceptance, the lamb will die.  It will literally grieve itself to death if the shepherd does not intervene.  We people are the same way.  We need love and acceptance; if we don’t find it at church, we will find it elsewhere. Most of the wandering sheep have purposefully left Jesus because they didn’t feel accepted by His flock. Being part of a congregation where you feel loved and accepted is a blessing.  But sometimes, we can become so entrenched in our church relationships we don’t realize we have formed an impenetrable clique. 

This is profound. Thank you, Niyonka16.

Sheep are dumb as well as sensitive. Their dumbness saves them from over-thinking the shepherd's commands and their sensitivity, as Niyonka describes, compels them to seek acceptance and love from the flock as well as from God Himself. We have difficulty knowing God's voice, not because we're so stupid, but because we're NOT stupid. Also, we have difficulty hearing His voice because our emotional needs are so layered and protected that we no longer feel what used to be obvious. 

We also have difficulty hearing His voice because God speaks softly. Divine mumbles. I don't know why God doesn't just direct us clearly, handing us an instruction sheet or map, but He chooses to be obscure with us. I do not think this is always our fault. Most of the time, in fact, we'd love to obey Him if we only knew what He wanted! We go astray because He lets us do so, then. He has something to teach us beyond our obedience. 

"Lord, speak clearly now. Comfort me with clear words and gestures. Show me what I'm to do and say. Be with me in a way that I can FEEL your presence. I want to feel Your love, Jesus. I want to know You as a loving and good God, a gentle Father willing to guide me through what remains of my life."  Amen.

Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples?

There are too many voices in the air. Only one of the voices is the right one. 

This can only be obtain by, in the presence of the Shepherd. When in the presence of the Shepherd you learn how HE utter, how HE pronouns HIS words. 

When hearing a voice, you will be able to recognize HIS voice and immediately obey what HE wants to say to us.   

You will slowly drift away, no more in HIS presence. Start to do things in own strength. 

As the previous question say "when we act independently."

A30.

There are many voices out there. Just as a sheep needs to know the correct voice of her shepherd to avoid following wrong shepherd, we as the disciples/ sheep of the Lord Jesus need to discern correctly His voice to avoid going astray. 

Is we act independently of the shepherd (the Lord Jesus Christ) we would miss heaven and go to hell.

I personally desire to hear and recognise the voice of the Lord better and would thus have a look at his: Listening for God's Voice: A Discipleship Guide to a Closer Walk (JesusWalk Publications, 2018)www.jesuswalk.com/voice/

It is important to keep us from doing the wrong things. Listening to Jesus and doing as he says will save us unnecessary trouble. Trouble that could be avoided. Things can also happen quicker in our life by being obedient. Plus we want God's best so we need to obey and listen.

Acting independently can cause many troubles and confusion. Listening to the wrong voices can cause people to stray. A person wanting to do things in their own way instead of doing it God's way can cause people to stray. 

Sheep can go astray for several reasons:

1. Distractions

2. Curiosity

3. Lack of Leadership

4. Fear

5. Disorientation In unfamiliar terrain or bad weather

6. Lack of Boundaries

Same for us , Abba has for us well trodden paths of Righteousness, green pastures and still water. Sometimes as his sheep we may think we know a better path or for the reasons above we may stray.
But our Good Shephard comes after us , Calling our name. If we know his voice we can respond and be saved or not stray in the first place.

His voice , His heart , His ways are in the word for us to see.
We just need to keep recalibering our hearing in tune with the frequency in which he speaks to us.

Q30. (John 10:1-5

It is very important to know the shepherd's voice, so that we can follow the right voice.  It doesn't help not knowing His voice, because which voice do we end up obeying.  As disciples we need to know the Shepherd's voice that we are following.

When we act independently of the Shepherd, we are on dangerous ground.  Bound for disappointment, disillusionment and abandonment.

That is a very interesting point made about the Bummer lambs.  (Nikonya16)  Yes, rejection is a prime reason for straying and for fear to set in and uncertainty and then not to return to the original "church fold" one was in.  Unfortunately very often it makes a person turn away from the Faith completely .

Important:   Don't look on the other "sheep" nor on the so-called leader of that church-flock.  Look to JESUS  the TRUE SHEPHERD!!!!!   I am talking from experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Q.30 (John 10:1-5) The importance of knowing the Shepherd's voice and having discernment to know his voice is for the the believer's not to go astray.

When we choose to act independently we get lost.

When we hear many voices-the pressures of our society's expectations, family desires, our own selfish desires, our inner voices, and not sitting quietly to hear the still small voice will enable many believer's to go astray. And, lacking the time to sit and read the Word. 

On 4/21/2023 at 11:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is so important to know the voice of the Shepherd and obey it because if we don't we can easily be led astray.  We hear many voices -- the pressures of our society's expectations, our family's desires, our own selfish desires, our own inner voices.  It is possible to hear Jesus' voice and distinguish it from the others, but we must make a practice of learning which is which. And that is gotten by spending time with the Lord and listening to the  voice of the Holy Spirit.  having fellowship with Him.

When we act independently of the Shepherd and we think we know best, we leave ourselves open for the thief and robber, making a way for the enemy.

The sheep stray when they don't listen to the Lord do, our own thing and then we make ourselves open to  the enemy.

Q.30 Knowing  the sheperds voice is important  for disciples  so that they will be able to hear and distinguish  his voice or call from other sheperds voice and do accordingly 

Acting independentl of the sheperd will cost the sheep to get lost  along the way as the do not do what the sheperd require of them

What causes the sheep to go astray is not recognizing  the  sheperds  voice  and choose to go their way

Q30. (John 10:1-5) Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? That is the only way to be close coupled with God’s perfect plan.

What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? We create issues with God’s perfect plan.

What causes sheep to stray? It is their nature. That grass looks better. Wonder if that might be tasty. Philip Kellers books on the sheep and the Good Sheperd are very instructive. Calling us His sheep was not a compliment but a truth that we needed constant care and the shepherds attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, George L said:

Q30. (John 10:1-5) Why is knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it so very important for disciples? That is the only way to be close coupled with God’s perfect plan.

What happens when we act independently of the Shepherd? We create issues with God’s perfect plan.

What causes sheep to stray? It is their nature. That grass looks better. Wonder if that might be tasty. Philip Kellers books on the sheep and the Good Sheperd are very instructive. Calling us His sheep was not a compliment but a truth that we needed constant care and the shepherds attention.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:33 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Knowing the Shepherd's voice and obeying it is so important because we wont be led astray, when we act independently of the Shepherd make us to lose our ways, because the Bible tells us that He goes before us, and calls us by our names. the sheep go stray when do not know the voice of strangers.

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing the Shepherd’s voice and obeying it is important to us because there are a lot of voices out in this world. If we can’t recognize the shepherd’s voice, they we will be lost. If we try to independently act on our own, we will be lost in a hurry and only here the call of the voice of the devil. The things that cause sheep to stray is the calling of the world. We think we need more of what we don’t have so we can fit in.