JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q32. Sower
  • 5 months later...

These people does not have true root in the word. They may seem happy about it at first but there wasn't a true change to start truly following Jesus and his words. This happens all the time. If trials come along or tests they want to back off of it and go back to the way it was before. We have to be truly serious when we say we want to follow the Lord and must understand that things will not always be easy because just like God is working so is Satan. 

Q32. (Matthew 13:20-21)

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly?

GOD's Word say. that people perish for lack of knowledge. People hear the Word but don't make the effort to go read it by themselves. The moment they hear the Word immediately the Word is snatch away from them. They have actually nothing to chew on, there is no deepness in it.

What is their problem?

This is a type of Laissez faire attitude or comsi comsa they don't care about the Word, they don't love the Word. They don't make the Word their own. Ownership here is the problem.

Q32. Some people hear the word but are unreceptive, their hearts are hard. The word just doesn’t make any impression on them. Then there are people who receive the word of God with great joy but in times of testing they turn away and give it all up. Then there are others who receive the words of the gospel but as they go on in life they get distracted by worldly things and the gospel gets blocked out. 

I don't think we understand the significance of what we are thinking and doing, or, worse yet, are unable to "reprogram" our minds to think differently about the gospel message. It's just that the Christian message and life is so foreign to most Westerners today. We (Westerners) simply have no idea how to go about growing in faith, the discipline of study and prayer and fellowship. So, the seed dies. We fall away. 

I liked what Pastor Ralph wrote at the end of this section about people whose minds are furrowed by later events or ideas ... whose "mental soil" is thrown over to such a degree that they become open to the gospel. Some may be reclaimed after they fell away. Some may be able to hear the gospel message for the first time.

The bottom line is this: God pulls us to Himself. We don't open up or merit our own salvation ... we're plucked out of obscurity and sin. God is ultimately responsible for our salvation, reaching us and pulling us toward Himself. We must respond, yes, but do we really do even that, I wonder? When Jesus is asked why he speaks in parables, he essentially admits that people have been selected to understand as well as not understand.

"10 The disciples came to him and asked, 'Why do you speak to the people in parables?'

11 He replied, 'The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.'" (Matthew 13:10-13)

I do not know why some have been gifted with understanding and others scratch their heads stupidly. It's difficult not to conclude that some people have been chosen and others damned.

Some people fall away easily because they do not internalize the message of the Kingdom. They are quick to accept Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior but do not listen well to His teachings. At times, such people follow the crowd and do not understand what it is to give your life to Christ. They still want to live their lives as before and do not understand that once you accept Christ as your Lord and Savior, you allow Him to be at the centre of your life. Paul says " It is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me".

Their problem is that they do not ask for guidance and allow to be shepherded. They do not want to present their bodies as living sacrifices and do not read the Word of God so as to understand the new path taken.

Q32. Parable of The Sower (Matthew 13:20-21)

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people falls away so quickly?

ANSWER: The human heart is like receptive soil to the seed of the Word of God. First, there is “the hard heart, the seed that falls along the roadside. This represents people who hear the Word of God, but never really believe. Then there is “the shallow heart. That is the seed that falls on stony ground. This signifies the people who hear the Word of God and receive it with joy, but because there is no root to sustain them, they wither. Finally, there is “the crowded heart. That is the seed that falls on ground where weeds choke out its growth. Slowly and surely, these people, busy with the cares and riches of the world, just lose interest in the things of God.

What is their problem?

ANSWER: The problem is they do not have receptive hearts and the Word of God cannot work in their lives. We are the ones who determine what kind of soil our hearts will be. We decide whether we will have a hard heart, a shallow heart, a crowded heart, or a receptive heart.

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly?

I tend to call this an emotional response to the gospel.  I saw this firsthand when I volunteered for a crusade that came to our town. When the invitation was given each night, hundreds of people came forward to be saved.  I walked several people into the Kingdom of God that week.  I kept up contact with all of them for several months.  Little by little, one by one, they each stopped responding.  Only 1 of them is still in the Word and growing and thriving as a child of God.  The rest had an emotional night and made an emotional decision based on the excitement of the crusade. 

What is their problem?

Honestly, I don't think they were called... we have a God who calls each of us to follow Him.  Salvation isn't a decision we make on our own... it is a transformation that begins with the Holy Spirit speaking personally and directly to our heart... We do not "decide" we are going to be saved... we "agree" to be saved when we are invited in by God Himself.  Only God knows when a heart is ready.  Only He knows when we understand the destruction of sin in our lives... only He knows when our heart is ready to be humbled and ready to give Him the throne to rein as King and Lord in our life. 

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly? What is their problem?

The seed sprang up quickly but the shallowness of the ground prevented it from taking root. In the same way, the Word is quickly, immediately, impulsively, received with great joy. But there is a shallowness here; with no conviction of sin, no remorse, no repentance, and no depth – no root, and ultimately no real commitment. The Word of God does not penetrate the heart. Their main interest is more on worldly things like entertainment, sport, and trivial things but not eternal things. It is a light-hearted acceptance, and at the first sign of trouble or trials they fall away. Their faith might be genuine, but is not rooted enough to withstand the hatred and enmity of the family or world. Definity not prepared to suffer for Christ – they want the crown, but not the cross. Perhaps they enjoy the friendship, companionship, the entertainment, and the singing, but have no intention of serving the Lord. Thinking that life from now on would be a bed of roses, with God answering all their prays. Sadly, it might last awhile but, in the end, once the spell has subsided all is forgotten and they return to their former sinful life.

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly? What is their problem?

The rock represents people who have surface enthusiasm, but a hard heart. These people can be sorry for their sins and pray the "sinner's prayer." But, in fact, they haven't really internalized King Jesus' teachings and restructured their lives around him.  They have sorrow over their sins but lack real repentance.  true repentance is necessary for Salvation. Where this doesn't happen, we have the kind of people whom Jesus describes here, with surface growth, but who fall away in time of testing.

Some people fall away so quickly, because they are not listening, hearing the word, and applying it to their lives. Therefore they have no roots, or no depth in their roots, so that when times get hard they fall away. 

Their problems is that they are not rooted and grounded in the world, maybe just not ready to receive. Therefore it may take something happening in their lives before they will wake up and see the need for the word and hear the word, and receive it in their hearts and be saved. 

Q32. (Matthew 13:20-21) Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly? What is their problem? 

I think your idea that the people do ask for forgiveness of sin--they want to be forgiven, but then do not actually repent - could be it.  I am sad that this happens, and yet I see believers walking down paths and into the weeds so identifying one problem is tricky.  Perhaps it is all we do not really grasp HOW MIGHTY IS OUR GOD, HOW MUCH HE LOVES US, and HOW INCREDIBLE is the CROSS and RESURRECTION.  What power He offers us through His Spirit breathed in us to live as He would have us live.  May we all always choose Him.

A32

From the parable of the sower, some people are not willing to listen to the word. When they listen to the word of God, they do not store it in their hearts. Consequently they do not obey and easily fall away completely from being followers of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Why, according to the Parable of the Sower,  do some people fall away so quickly? What is their problem?  Unbelief  .  .  .  doubting

Reading the responses brings many thoughts to mind.  It is all well and good to say, they do not read the Word, or they fail to be grounded in the Word.   What about the illiterate persons or where there is no Bible.  I think of those in the Communistic countries who cannot even openly gather together around the Word.  I personally have experienced not being free to openly read the Word.  The Bible and any Christian books were hidden to not be thrown away or torn up.  

I do feel that  if the response to someone having shared the Gospel is shallow then indeed they will fall away quickly, as testified by ROBOMOM3.  I also believe that if there is a genuine desire to have a change of heart that, that person will grow with or without normal fellowship and reading of the Word.  Talking to and waiting on the Lord is also important.  Reading the Word is very important (I don't deny that).  Believing and trusting Him, is what matters.

Q32. (Matthew 13:20-21) Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly? What is their problem?

1. They begin with enthusiasm only to fall away because of letting their minds not care to know and understand. Many are spiritually dull and have stopped their ears and closed their eyes. They do not apply themselves to the word or read it which shows that they will not obey.

2. The flesh is allowed to take over because there is lack of interest in their hearts. There is not any receptive to having God fully.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When life get's hard when problems come as they always do, they let go of God, they stop thinking about him and think and worry more about their problems.

Thy get out of God's covenant, they stop reading his word.

Q32. (Matthew 13:20-21) Why, according to the Parable of the Sower, why do some people fall away so quickly? They fail to hear to absorb because they came to hear the speach but not to understand it fully the teachers message.

What is their problem? They have no root in themselves. May have heard and can repeat the words but the words have not become a doctrine of comply in honor of that word. Seeking to be entertained with the new thing not seeking knowledge to live by.

Q32. (Matthew 13:20-21) People fall away quickly because the fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing in God's word. The problem is not everyone who hears the gospel will understand and believe. Depicts a heart that is immediately receptive, but hardened, so the gospel never takes root and thus fails t  bear fruit.

Q.32 Some people fall away so quickly because they don't have the heart for the word of God . When they hear the word they do not internalize it , meditate about  and it quickly gets out of their minds 

God's  word doesn't  take centre stage in their lives , they are not serious about God's  word 

On 4/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because they don't receive the Word and give it a chance to grow in their heart, the soil of their hearts is hard, persecution.

They won't repent and let Jesus turn their life around.

• 1 month later...