JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q38. Ultimate Prize

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46). If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

• 5 months later...

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46).

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus?

NOTHING

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

They have to see JESUS in my life. What I say and do must be JESUS first. JESUS is my everything no matter what come my way JESUS first. When you have burdens or challengers cast it unto JESUS. Sickness and sorrow cast it unto JESUS. JESUS is closer then a brother. HE fulfil any role in our lives. 

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus?

I can honestly say, at this point in my life, my relationship with Jesus is at the top of my priority list.  There are certainly no possessions that take greater value than Him in my life.  My family is extremely dear to me, but if He saw it in His Will to take them from me, I would be devastated but I would not love Him any less.  I know His Ways are best and I trust Him completely with the circumstances in my life.  I have a daughter, a father and a brother waiting for me in Heaven... it isn't about this life... it's about the eternal life that is to come. My only hesitation to losing my family now is that I have 2 children that are not walking with Jesus.  I need Him to reach their hearts before they leave this life.

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

I feel confident that my friends know Jesus is first in my life because they come to me for Biblically based advice and prayer often.  I love my brothers and sisters in Christ as if they were my birth family.  We support and encourage each other in our walk with Christ and we hold each other accountable to His commands.  We serve and do ministry together. God has given me a wonderful circle of Christian friends to journey through this life with.  I know, if they saw me veering off the narrow road, they would do everything in their power to steer me back to Jesus and I would do the same for any one of them. I couldn't have given this as my testimony 3 years ago.  God is so very very good1

Q38. Parable of the Hidden Treasure/Parable of the Pearl of Great Price (Matthew 13:44-46).

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus?ANSWER: I don’t think there’s a believer out there who hasn’t felt an unnerving disconnect from the Lord. We might feel distance from the Lord due too, unconfessed sins, pride, idolatry, selflessness, good deeds, and or purpose. It is essential that we have a strong relationship with Jesus Christ, because it is one of the best things we can do for our life. I have found that when God reaches out to me, seeking to throw me a lifeline, if I respond to His help, that is the best way for me to avoid getting disconnected for longer periods of time. And to avoid being distracted I should read the Bible, pray, obey, serve, and live with gratitude.

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

ANSWER: Prioritize Jesus before my friendships. When I talk to God about my situation first, I can be CONFIDENT because I know where my final confidence and authority comes from. Another part of talking to God first before my friends is that it allows me to be dependent on God, not codependent on my friendships. Friends friendship are intended to spur each other on towards Jesus Christ, not replace Jesus’ place in our life. We are not to put all our troubles or burdens on our friends, we are too give them to God. Other people aren’t meant to keep us going and breathing. They are to remind us of things forgotten, to encourage us closer to Christ, and to be there interceding in prayer for us.

I think we are prone to talk to our friends because they can immediately verbalize an answer whereas: we feel Jesus doesn't verbally respond. But if we study our Bible consistently, we will be surprised how He speaks to our situations and gives us exactly what we need, even if it’s not what we want to hear!

There is nothing of value to me than Christ. The reason I say this is that it is always my heart desire to see all my family members establishing a personal, permanent, intimate relationship with God. 

I do not have to prove to a friend that Jesus is first in my life but my actions and the way I conduct myself must be evidence enough to say I have a relationship with Christ that is not temporary but eternal. I believe that I must emulate Christ by showing compassion for all the people and in that way, my friends will be convinced that I live for Christ and He is the Only One who directs my steps.

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

All the things of my life, everything, cannot compare to the priceless value of His Kingdom. No way can I compare temporal things with eternal things. In this kingdom is an incorruptible, undefiled, unfading, eternal treasure. Jesus Himself; salvation; forgiveness of sin; love, joy and peace; heaven and eternal life; are all part of this treasure. It was one Sunday at church, over 40 years ago, when I responded to the gospel, was regenerated by the Holy Spirit, responded in faith and repentance, and accepted Jesus as my Saviour, that I discovered this treasure. This treasure is not visible to unbelievers; it is all foolishness to them (1 Cor 2:14); and the god of this age has blinded their minds (2 Cor 4:4). Not knowing if my friend is a disciple or not, I will not waste too much time explaining to him that Jesus Himself is this great treasure that I discovered, unless he shows initial interest. I have submitted everything, my all, to my Lord Jesus. It’s total surrender, complete self-denial, no half measures. I willingly place myself, my time, my possessions, my career, and the talents I have, and my life, if need be, at His disposal. He now rules my life.

No nothing is more important to me or of more value to me than Jesus Christ my Lord and Saviour.

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

My life has to be a living testimony of my love, obedience and dedication to God.  When they see the fruit of the Spirit in me it will be proved to them.

No, there is nothing I have, nor have ever had that could compare to how valuable my relationship is with Jesus Christ. For I know and understand that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that there is no other way to the Father except through Him, and that Salvation only comes through believing in Jesus Christ. So again, No there is nothing in my life more valuable than my relationship with Christ. 

I would hope that others can see how that I choose to follow Christ over anything else in this world, even over my family. In which I pray that that would encourage them to receive Christ as their own as well. 

A38

Nothing I have or own that can be compared to having the Lord Jesus Christ my Savior who redeemed me from the penalty of eternal death in hell and to eternal life with him in heaven.

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

The past decade, or so, I've been systematically giving up things that were once meaningful to me. Sometimes they have been taken from me against my desire but most of the time, I've wrestled to give them up. At this point, my life feels scraped raw. This is God's will.

Never will I get to the point where I can truthfully say I've given up everything for Him. Residues -- dreams or ambitions, desires or hopes -- persistently remain. These residues are not (necessarily) sinful dreams or hopes, but only those God has not chosen to fulfill. The continual emptying of life (kenosis of the human?) allows Him to insert a bit more of His Spirit within. So, to answer the question, the things that were/are more important to me than my relationship with Jesus are being extracted, slowly but with certainty, until nothing of greater value than Him will remain.

I cannot prove the Jesus is first in my life to anyone. (Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Christians are martyred?) His priority is between us; He knows how I struggle, daily, to make Him first.

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46). If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

No

I saw a great example for this question illustrated in the Kendrick brother’s movie, “Courageous.”

One of the main characters in the movie was a young Christian man who had recently immigrated to America from Mexico. He was struggling to find adequate work to house and feed his young family. A friend helped get him a full time job at a textile mill. After a month the boss called him into the office and told him what a great job he was doing and wanted to promote him to supervisor. The catch was, his boss asked him to do something dishonest on a regular basis. The boss asked him if he was a team player, if he was he would do this for him. He had until the next morning to make up his mind.                    
He agonized and argued with his wife all evening, weighing his family’s needs over honoring God and doing the right thing.

He chose wisely, turning down the job, saying doing right by God and not compromising his faith was more important than this job. Knowing he would probably lose the job he currently held also. 
Turns out the boss was testing his integrity and honesty. He was looking for a man who wouldn’t lie, cheat or steal, even if asked to by his boss. He was looking for a man who was trustworthy. He said, the last 6 men had failed the test. He was promoted immediately. The boss said to him, “A man with integrity was rare these days. 
That’s how I’d like to prove it.

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46). If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

1. No, because he has everything I need and will protect me as well as be my leader and guider.

2. I would live the life of a true disciple as an example of Christ. I would testify to that friend and also let it be known and seen that Jesus blessed with what I didn't have but have now.                                                               

If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus?     No there isn't,  may God help me not to have anything be more important. Jesus is my All in all.  

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your  life?

A very good description has been given by t-c.   

My actions in word and deed, ought to reveal Jesus.  When they don't, I need to search my actions and motives and repent from where I have deviated.  

Jesus is first in my life.  While I say that...do I LIVE that?  He continues to gently scrape away the layers of my life that are not proving Him FIRST.  I would ask someone to walk with me, get to know me, watch my life so they would know that Jesus is first.

• 2 weeks later...

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46). If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? No.

How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life? I can give them my testimony, and pray for them. God will demonstrate with signs following if you procaim the gospel of the kingdom to them. Never fail to thank God your seed is not failing. Praise Him for he can’t lie. His word is true. The promises yea and Amen. James 3 is always the test;  bless your seed and results never never curse your prayer with doubt. Things happen in God’s perfect timing. Instant answers maybe, rescued from the edge often. Takes some time to work in a lost life. God sent you to them. He means to win with them making the decision for salvation and freedom. Let the leaven work on the lumps. Keep on working WORD!

Q.38 (Matthew 13:44-46) Before I came to Christ I loved the world. I value my possessions etc. And of course I value my family. However, I know for a fact that they cannot saved me. There is no human being on earth who will save me. Jesus death on the cross was a one time sacrifice shedding His precious Blood for the Redemption of my sins. Everything that I own is only material, and my family is a loan from God. Like I am a loan to my daughter's and ten grandchildren. Values are important, but I will rather have a relationship with Jesus who died for me allowing me to share Eternal Life with him, because he saved me from the pits of hell. 

Salvation is free and because it is free I owe him my life. I try to tell people of the goodness of God and what Jesus did. Honestly, some people don't want to hear it. Jesus has done miracles in my life and the people that believe know for sure that Jesus lives.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q38. (Matthew 13:44-46). If you were to objectively assess your life, career, family, values, and possessions, is there anything more important, anything of greater value to you than your relationship with Jesus? How would you objectively prove to a friend that Jesus is first in your life?

There is nothing more important in my life than Jesus. He gave me life when I was dead in trespasses and sin. He has changed my life completely and I praise Him;

I would give them my testimony of how Jesus came into my life  and how He changed me and continues to change me.

Q.38 Nothing is of high value than having  relationship with Christ

I will prove Jesus being first in my life , by making known to them the relationship  I have  with Christ and continously  spreading the gospel to them letting them know what Christ in my life means and what He has done for my life

• 1 month later...