JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q39. Pharisee and Tax Collector

Q39. (Luke 18:9-14) Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness? What do you think are his actual sins? What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer? Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves? Why did Jesus tell this parable for his disciples?

• 4 months later...

The pharisee thought because of his so called good deeds that made him better than others. This same thing happens today. People pick and pull certain sins and say how awful it is but look past other things that seem lesser. 

Having a prideful behavior. Looking at his own so called righteousness as the standard. The tax collector recognized that he was a sinner and he needed help. Help from God and that nothing he could do could make him righteous before God with his own works. He knew he needed God's mercy.

Prideful behavior can cause this in individuals. Always wanting to look the best in front of others not wanting to feel shame or embarrassment. 

He wanted them to understand that having a prideful behavior doesn't get you anywhere with God. We all need to humble ourselves before God and realize it is because of him we have anything.

Q39. (Luke 18:9-14) Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness? What do you think are his actual sins? What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer? Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves? Why did Jesus tell this parable for his disciples?

His position as a Pharisee, the things he was doing, “weekly fasting and paying tithes”, he didn’t think that he was a sinner and his pride.

His pride, (lack of humility)

His words were telling God that He would be fortunate to have a man such as himself in heaven and that they should get the band ready to play for his arrival. And not only was he a sinner, but the words that he prayed to God, shows his sin all the more.

We just want to look better in front of others and have the praise of men.

He wanted them to be aware of the trap of your position in life. That it’s what inside you that matters: not who you are and what you look like. You’re not fooling God. Fight pride and remember, he who humbles himself will be exalted. 

Q39. Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector (Luke 18:9-14)

Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness?

ANSWER: The Pharisee in this parable is proud of his religious piousness.  They considered themselves worthy of God's grace based off their religious performance. They thought they earned the right to demean others and make demands. When the Pharisee prayed, he asked for nothing because he thought that he already had it all. His entire prayer centers around how great he is and how terrible everyone else is, especially the tax collector. His pride oozes out of his prayer.

What do you think are his actual sins?

ANSWER: The Pharisee sin is that he is too prideful.

What is so remarkable about the tax collector’s prayer?

ANSWER: When the tax collector prays he doesn’t pray to himself, he prays to God. He recognizes his only hope is for God to save him. The tax collector recognizes his unworthiness and humbly asked for mercy.

Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves?

ANSWER: it is easier for us to promote ourselves in front of others because we are interested in appearances and elevating ourselves in the moment. We forget to negate our pride, set aside personal rivalry, exclude conceit, and look out for the good of another.

Why did Jesus tell this parable for his disciples?

ANSWER: Jesus told this parable for His disciples because He wanted to teach  them the importance of praying with the right attitude. This parable is aimed at those of us who think we are very righteous and look down on others.

Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness? Because the pharisee followed the law accurately - fasting twice a week and scrupulously tithing.

What do you think are his actual sins? Pride and sense of superiority

What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer? The tax collector's prayer is remarkable and short. Instead of telling God all the good things about himself, he describes himself as a sinner. He makes no excuses for his behavior, offers no mitigating circumstances. He confesses his sinfulness before God and takes full responsibility for it.  Then he asks for mercy

Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves? To make ourselves look good in our sight and in the sight of others.

Why did Jesus tell this parable for his disciples? so that the disciples will not make the mistake of trusting in their righteous living to impress God.  that way the disciples would have become proud and looked down upon others around them.  this parable attacks any pride and sense of superiority that our piety and obedience may foster. Faith and humility are marks of the men and women who follow Jesus.

Q39. (Luke 18:9-14)

Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness? What do you think are his actual sins? What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer? Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves? Why did Jesus tell this parable for His disciples?

They took pride in the fact that they kept God’s law as well as the oral law; even fasting twice a week, for all to see their righteousness. Besides all this, they were Abraham’s seed, and this was a guarantee of God’s favour. They were blind to their actual condition. Their self-righteousness, letting all know how good they were. As well as their pride which saw them looking down upon others, even despising them. In contrast, the tax collector sensed his own unworthiness, and saw himself as a sinner in need of forgiveness. Praying for mercy, and grace. Pride makes it difficult for us to humble ourselves and admit that we are sinners in need of redemption. Our Lord hates any form of pride and told this as a warning for His disciples. With our extra knowledge and understanding of scriptural things we might easily begin thinking we are better than others. Instead, we should have an attitude of serving others.

Self-promotion is hard to deny. When others crush and demean me -- particularly when my persecutors are those I feel are "below me" ... I confess -- it's difficult to not snipe back, to defend myself and try to extract instant justice. I've noticed that my pride is always comparative. It looks horizontally instead of vertically. Instead of being concerned with what God sees, pride looks crab-wise at the people around me and is concerned with reputation and being well-regarded. Even hidden pride, that is pride that is carefully concealed or masked by humility, is comparative. There's always a pecking order in the world, with some on top and most near the bottom. I'd rather be at the top. That's pride!

The tax-collector was admirable because his focus was on Christ/God, not others. He must have been oblivious to the mocking and jeering around him, so desirous was he to get Christ's approval and forgiveness. The Pharisees, in contrast, were focused on the crowd, not Christ. They wanted approval. Public lauding. When I get to the point where I don't give a rip about what others think, but only care about what Christ sees, I'll be freed from the sin of pride.

This hasn't happened.

I'm wondering what the tax collector did that was so bad (in Christ's eyes.) He was an IRS agent known to the people as he personally shook down entire neighborhoods. If our IRS agents weren't anonymous and hidden in huge buildings with armories and stashes of weapons, they'd be hated, too.

--

Christians can be proud within their own walls, that is, they can compare themselves to other Christians. That's sorta what the Pharisees were doing in their society. I've watched Christian leaders obviously enjoy the sound their own voice amplified by the microphone as the beady eyes of the crowd follows their every move. They strut on stage so that their melodious words and slick presentations can "wow" congregants. Last week, when reading a book on the first Great Awakening, I was struck by Whitefield/Whitfield's polish and presentation in grand-eloquent speeches before thousands ... at the same time that the local pastors, displace by his performances, were humbly going about their business with smaller numbers, picking up the converts. Whitfield was an incredible speaker. In the natural. A talented actor. He was also a sincere Christian.

It's not that the presence of a crowd guarantees pride, but rather that such a crowd provides temptation. Even Whitfield, in his own papers, constantly battled his own pride as well as the ego-gratifying feeling of being admired by so many people. Yet God used him. Greatly.

God can use us, flawed as we are. Even pride doesn't disqualify us from being used. We still have to battle it, but God has ways of slapping us down, repeatedly, until we're humbled enough to be sent on another divine missions.

I think Jesus told this parable TO A CROWD because He wanted the crowd to distinguish between the pride-filled Pharisees and the humbled tax-collector. He was mocking the Pharisees. Overtly. Undeniably. He could have told this parable privately to the disciples, but did not. This may be significant. His warning against pride was to all of us, including the humble.

Because he has interpreted Scripture incorrectly.  He believes he has a birthright into the Kingdom of Heaven. He does not understand that we are all born into sin and nothing we can do can change that.  Only God can transform us from a state of sin to a state of righteousness.  But he put himself on the same level with God. After all... he was praying to HIMSELF!!!

He follows the law outwardly while having no compassion or love within. God's people are to look like Him and He tells us over and over again that He is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, bounding in love and faithfulness. (Exodus 34:6).  He also tells us in Proverbs 16:5 "Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD; be assured, he will not go unpunished".  This Pharisee saw his checklist of laws as his ticket to righteousness before God.  He failed to recognize his pride as the one thing that would keep him from ever knowing God.  He failed to understand that every soul is a creation of God and he was choosing to look upon God's creation with disdain and disgust instead of compassion and love.  When we see ourselves as better than anyone else... ANYONE... we are no better than this Pharisee.  We may not say it out loud but... God sees our heart... This is why He tells us to serve others... there is no greater difference in hierarchy than the Creator of the universe and the men He formed from dust... yet He has chosen to serve His creation...We serve a Servant King... so who am I to think there is anyone who is beneath me?!?  Forgive me Lord I pray.

What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer?

The tax collector recognized himself as a sinner in need of a Savior... He saw himself through the eyes of God instead of through the eyes of men. 

Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves?

This is something God is rooting out of me... I hate the pride within me... it camouflages itself in so many different ways... every time I think I'm making progress God reveals another tentacle of the monster within me.  There is only one reason we do not humble ourselves... it is because being humble hurts our pride.  I pray earnestly for God to humble my heart, knowing it's going to hurt every time it happens but, I also know when I reach the point that I no longer feel pain when humbled... this will be victory for it means God has pulled the last of the rotten root called pride from my heart. 

The disciples were set up to become the Pharisees of the new covenant.  How easy it would've been for them to feel superior to everyone else. After all... they were original followers of Jesus... Especially the original gang of 12... Jesus needed them to understand that being a part of His Kingdom meant being humble and serving those who the world tells you should be serving you.  Real authority doesn't have a need to prove who they are.  When we understand who we are in Christ, we will be able to live in the freedom of serving others without any thought of how that looks to those around us.  

The Pharisee is convinced of his righteousness because he thinks that praying daily and giving his tenth are things that touch the heart of God. Jesus had to remind him that God looks at the matter of the heart and not someone who is boastful. The Pharisee was full of himself and his prayer was selfish as he wanted to remind God what he was doing instead of giving God his shortfalls and ask God to assist him.

He showed how arrogant he was by standing prayer in the open. The Word of God says that when we pray, we need to go into our closet and close the door and pray. Praying standing in the open and make long prayer does not justify that the matter of the heart. Making known that he was paying his tithes in public was also not what the Word of God expects from us. We are told that whatever we do, we must not let the right hand what the left hand does.

The tax collecter's prayer is that he humbled himself and was open to God that he was a sinner. Acknowledging his sins was that he needde the grace of God to assist him and have his sins forgiven.

We always think we are better than others and want to be seen and acknowledged in public places. We just need to humble ourselves and God will lift us up. People will know that we do good deeds and we do not have to tell the whole word but our actions need to speak for ourselves.

Jesus wanted the disciples to understand that they have been called to serve the people of God and they need to always humble themselves. 

The Pharisees were members of an exacting party of the Jews who believed in strictly observing God's law, as well as the oral law.

The Pharisee's entire prayer is about himself. He thanks God, not for blessings, but that he isn't a sinner like others. The Pharisee also reminds God of how pious he is, fasting twice a week and scrupulously tithing.

Too much pride in their lives. 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men -- robbers, evildoers, adulterers -- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

The tax collector's prayer is remarkable and short. Instead of telling God all the good things about himself, he describes himself as a sinner. He makes no excuses for his behavior, offers no mitigating circumstances. He confesses his sinfulness before God and takes full responsibility for it. Then he asks for mercy.

You know who you are. You know what you have done or achieved. You know what you are capable off. 

This parable attacks any pride and sense of superiority that our piety and obedience may foster. Faith and humility are marks of the men and women who follow Jesus.

The Pharisee is confident of his righteousness because he is observant of the law and keeps the law, pays his tithe and offering, he does his good works. So he thinks he is a good and righteous person. 

But the problem with him, or his sin is his arrogance, selfishness, pride, just thinking that he is better than anyone else. 

The remarkable thing about the tax-collectors prayer was that he recognized, and knew that he was a sinner, therefore he was very sorrowful, humble, and was just asking for forgiveness, mercy and atonement with God. 

It is easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves, for no one likes to be looked down on. But most of the time it's selfishness and pride that causes a person to do such. Wanting others to think they are something they are not. 

Jesus is telling His disciples, as well as all of us that we need to be very careful and not allow pride to slip in, but that we need to keep ourselves humble. Because pride will cause you to fall: for all who exalts themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves shall be exalted. 

Q39, The Pharisee thought that by carrying out his religious rituals that he was pleasing to God. He thought highly of himself because he obeyed the law. He also thought he was superior to others because of what he did. He was full of his own importance and sinful pride.

The tax collector is the very opposite of the Pharisee, he stands afar off, keeps his head bowed and says a short prayer, which was full of humility and recognition of his need of God’s mercy. 
We can try to look good in front of others by maybe exaggerating our achievements rather than being humble and wait to be asked about them. We should never think too highly of ourselves, but have a balanced view of ourselves and think well of others. 
Jesus gave us this parable to teach us the importance of being humble and not to have an air of superiority with others. In God’s eyes we are all equal and that should be our attitude as well. 

1. The Pharisees were members of an exacting party of the Jews who believed in strictly observing God's law and oral law as well. The Pharisee pray entirely about himself. Thanking God not for blessing, that he is not a sinner like others. He makes it known that he fast twice a week and faithfully tithe.

2. Wanting to look good in the presence of others which is pride.

3. His prayer is remarkable and short. He doesn't tell God all the good things about himself, describes himself as a sinner. He makes no excuses for his behavior or offer no mitigating circumstances. He confesses he is a sinner before God, takes full responsibility and asks for mercy. 

4. It is easier to build ourselves up so that we will not be looked down on. When that happens, it is pride. We want to be looked up on as more than we are.

5.  Jesus is warning us not to have pride. Jesus was stating that we should always be humble. 

A39.

The Pharisee proclaims loudly his good works- how he worships God and his giving to the poor to the extent that his attitude was that of pride which is sin before God.

The tax collector on the hand is remorseful and humble because of his many sins such as over taxing to get his own personal portion of money from the people.

Jesus told this story for us to learn from the two, that we have to be careful or else we may also fall into the temptation to show off our good service to God and to people and thus fall into the sin of pride. We should be humble.

His so called prayer is full of his seemingly righteous deeds, and they are so different and above board in comparison to thieving, living an adulterous life and being openly unjust to his fellow-man.  He is thus convinced that his deeds prove him to be righteous.

Pride and looking down on others.  Also doing whatever he did, for man's approval, not for God's approval.

The tax collector recognized  his sinful state and acknowledged his need for mercy.  He was not proud of it, but beat upon his chest.  He was remorseful and recognized his need.

Why did Jesus tell this parable for His disciples?  

It is easy to hide pride in our charitable deeds.  These are easier to be spoken highly of.  In this way others become aware of us and our works are promoted.  This way it seems like there is no pride ,  meanwhile  we stink of pride.  I do think Jesus was warning His disciples of this.  These deeds are indeed necessary, but we need to remain humble at all cost.  When our deeds are pointed out,  we become more favourable to society, or notorious,  but we become known in a positive or negative way.  As we are human we prefer the positive, which often then leads to pride as man tends to put man on a pedestal, rather than giving the  honour to God.  

Be warned, don't look down on others, for there BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, GO I.  !!!!!!!!

I suspect the Pharisee thought himself so important because he was living as other Pharisees--raised in that tradition and not knowing The One who is Eternal and Almighty but going through the motions of serving Him.  The Pharisee's actual sin: not coming to God for salvation.  The tax collector's prayer is remarkable in that it was purely heart-felt; he wanted forgiveness.  I think that in our culture we have a public face on our persona and we do not always let our true hearts be evident.  Jesus told this parable to us to remind us that WE ARE ALL SINNERS.  WE ALL FALL SHORT OF GOD'S GLORY.  Not one of us is any better than any other no matter what we do.

• 2 weeks later...

Q39. (Luke 18:9-14) Why do you think the Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness? He has been taught that strict following the law and the verbal traditions makes one righteous. The teaching itself was totally flawed. It proposed the rules from God for relationship with God and therefore proper treatment of fellow man that counted.. The I I I I is look at me! While righteousness requires humble service for God not self. Moses was the most humble.

What do you think are his actual sins? Pride in his doing and not doing. Which was failure to do for others less blssed in society.

What is so remarkable about the tax collector's prayer? It is clear that he had heard the hundreds of scriptures in the word stating God is merciful.  40 or more in the Law alone. While sin was mentioned more than twice as often. David had God’s heart. Ps 35:13-14 David declairs he saught God for those attacking and hunting him as though they were sick friends or family, not requesting judgement. Clearly mercy touches God’s heart and nature. If you were listening to the reading of the law you would know that. The Pharisees did not listen to learn.

Why is it easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves? Ego. The desire for self advancement. 

Why did Jesus tell this parable for his disciples?   Because God hears cries for His mercy. God gave me back my life when I cried “I can not do this, You have to do this” Life support, morphine, and pain. And every thing done to help me would hurt terribly. I needed patience take the pain as they tried to help me. God showed up in my room like a warm blanket. My son says you could feel it it just walking in the door. I was saved a month plus later when I could wheel chair into church. God hears cries for mercy. Especially yours for those who trouble you.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

"The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself4: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men -- robbers, evildoers, adulterers -- or even like this tax collector. He thought he was better than sinners.  He had a high example of himself. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'" (Luke 18:11-12)  He was confident of his own righteousness.  

His actual sin was pride and self-righteousness.  

He knew he was a sinner.  The tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'" (Luke 18:13)  

It is easier to promote ourselves in front of others rather than humble ourselves because we want recognition for what we have done - pride -  and we want others to like us and see our better side and how happy we are - and not our weaknesses and problems.  Like social media.🙂

He wanted them to know they were saved by grace, God's atonement and mercy and not their righteous deeds.  That they were not to be prideful but humble and they are not better than others because we were all sinners and needed a Savior.

Q.39 (Luke 18:9-14) The Pharisee wanted to draw attention acting if his prayers were heard he would be consider righteous. However, his pride was taking over him. This Pharisee didn't understand when a person does that they commit a fatal error, for righteousness turns into pride, and pride will lead people to look down on those people consider morally inferior to us.

I rather be like the tax collector he humble himself and admitted he was a sinner. He boldly confess before The Throne of Grace. 

Again, it is easier to promote ourselves in front of others like the Pharisee's so to be seen by others. Again, this all has to do with pride. And pride is one of the 7 things God hates. (Proverbs 8:13).

Jesus wanted his disciples to understand that they should never be prideful. They are to be humble and have faith, because this is what Jesus promotes. And, we are all sinners and Jesus came to save the world not to condemn it.

Q.39  The Pharisee knew and followed God's  laws and the laws they put themselves , and that made them feel righteous  in deeds

His actual sin is that of pride and feeling superior  to others

Tax collectors prayer was that of a sinner who felt required God's  mercy for his sins

It's easier to promote ourselves  before others for we want to be seen as good people on the outside , yet on the inside we are just like the rest

Jesustold this parable to His disciple to teach them about humility , not to look down on others or sinners but realize that they also capable of repentance and turn back from their sins

• 1 month later...

The Pharisee is so convinced of his righteousness because he is following all the rules that God had given him and the rules that they had made up. His actual sin that is obvious is pride. He probably had others but this one stands out. The tax collector is a sinner and wanted to be forgiven. We are always wanting to show people how much better we are then they therefore we promote ourselves. Jesus probably knew that they would get big headed and he wanted them to know that they should be a humbling person.