JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q48. Rich Fool

Q48. (Luke 12:16-21) Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

• 5 months later...

No being wealthy is not a sin. It's where the person's heart is at with what to do with the money. Being wealthy can be a big blessing to God's kingdom if the money is in the right person's hand with a godly love for wanting to bless others according to how God leads them. 

The rich man's sin was selfishness and thinking of himself and hoarding. He was rich to himself but not being Rich towards God with his heart and wealth. 

Greed can come up in different ways. Afraid to give to others and even poor people will hoard and can be afraid to give any money because of fear of having less than what they already have. Hoarding doesn't make things better. I have watch people do this and it still didn't make them have more. 

Christians being to focus on material things and hoarding money can cause them to lose sight of what it really means to serve Jesus and loving others. 

A48.

Being wealthy is not a sin for a Christian. However, how we get our wealth and how we use it could lead us to sin. If we work hard and get genuine wealth, and appreciate God as the source of the wealth, remove the appropriate tithes and also share what we have particularly with the needy, God will be pleased with us.

I have seen how greed led an Elder (leader) in the church to be pilfering church offering but was eventually caught red handedly. What a shame!!!

Q48. Parable of the Rich Fool (Luke 12:16-21)

Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian?

ANSWER: God wants us to enjoy all He has given us, as long as we don’t allow the gift to become the god. God doesn't seem to have a problem with people being wealthy. We are to consider everything we have as a loan from the Lord and ask Him how He wants us to use it. For those chosen by God, wealth is the result of trusting and obeying Him. As a Father, God blesses His children when their attitudes and actions align with His desires. 

A Christian's life purpose is to seek after, love, and honor God. All he does is for the glory of God. Whether a Christian is wealthy or not is irrelevant when everything he has is committed to God. A Christian may be entrusted with wealth, but it belongs to God, and his part is to manage it and use it for God's purposes and glory. When our hearts are not drawn away by the desire for riches, we can prove ourselves faithful stewards of that which God has entrusted to us.

What was the rich man’s actual sin or sinful attitude?

ANSWER: Not only was the rich man consumed by selfishness, but he also failed to recognize the source of his riches. He didn’t understand the concept of stewardship and that anything he had ultimately belongs to God and was meant to be used for His glory. He thought only about one person: himself. The rich man was a fool because: 1). He didn’t give; 2). He didn’t plan for eternity; 3). He didn’t know to whom his soul belonged; and 4). He wasn’t rich toward God.

This parable makes an important points, and one of the most important point is that if we are spiritually bankrupt, we are foolish. God does not bless us so we can spend our fortunes on ourselves. He blesses us so we can be a blessing to others.

How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle?

ANSWER: Greed is a very dangerous thing. A greedy person is more likely to be dishonest in their dealings with people especially as it relates to finance. They become manipulative and would do anything to meet their needs including defrauding people of their hard-earned money. There are many things that evoke greed in people. Some examples: are money, food, power, attention and shelter. It's important to note that greed can also have negative effects on society as a whole, such as increased economic inequality, decreased social mobility, and increased political corruption.

Like many other substances, greed is addictive, its power can make people do whatever it takes to get what they want, even lying. Like any other addictive behavior, its craving has to be continually fed. It can lead individuals to make bad personnel decisions. The greedy person reaches a point where they are willing to cheat, steal, defraud, and exploit the vulnerable in order to obtain unnecessary material gain. It becomes a divide between a moral compass and relationships.

Christians aren’t immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian’s behaviors and values?

ANSWER: Greed is also known as one of the seven deadly sins. Unrestrained greed in an individual can lead to callousness, arrogance, and even megalomania. A person dominated by greed will often ignore the harm their actions can cause others. It can cause some to wander away from the “faith” because of the self-inflected pains they have suffered due to their desire for money. Greed prevents us from resting in God's faithfulness. Greed, if not recognized and rejected, will destroy your life:

1. Greed makes you an Idolater. Greed eats away at gratitude and contentment by turning our hearts away from the one whose presence with us is our source of true joy.
  2. Greed never gets enough. Pursuing wealth and possessions as an end in themselves is like munching empty calories which may take the edge off our soul’s hunger for a while but will never be able to truly satiate us.
  3. Greed has dire consequences. When greed is clouding your vision, you begin to see others as objects to be used or as pawns to be manipulated in order to get more of what you crave, which makes it impossible for you to love others well.
  4. Greed makes generosity and Its blessings impossible. When greed enters a person’s heart, it blocks their ability to show generosity, and thus prevents the blessings of generosity from blossoming in their life.
  5. Greed does not lead to thriving. Greed turns a person’s eyes away from heaven and makes them unwisely act like this world is all there is, going against Jesus’ exhortation.

Greed is about our hearts and the contents of them. When greed takes root, gratitude cannot grow, and God is forgotten, which is a recipe for destroying your life. Someone who is greedy has fundamentally misunderstood what life is all about.

Being wealthy is not a sin because the Word of God, He gives us the ability to create wealth. Therefore God gives us so that we are able to take care of the needs of the poor, the orphans and the widows.

The rich man was selfish and thinking about himself and the future that he did not know. Instead of sharing his wealth with others, he wanted to enlarge his barn so that he could accommodate all his harvest so that he can be merry.

There are so many people in our country that are destitute. Some stand at the robots and beg. The monies that have been allocated to the elderly, orphans get misused by the politicians who are unscrupulous. 

Greed might influence the Christian behaviors and values in that we might lose focus of what God expects us to do with the wealth He has given us. Such Christians often want people to worship them because they are monied. They become gods and at times take advantage of those who do not have by even stealing from the poor. Greed is deep-rooted and can make one to even forget to faithfully serve God and instead of fellowshiping with other brethrens, he can go out to want to get more. Greed makes one not to be content with what one has.

Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

In the parable, the farmer's abundance is far greater than what he needs for his own household. So instead of dumping his grain onto the market during a good harvest year, he plans to hold the grain for the future, when he can get higher prices. He is a shrewd agribusinessman. Jesus doesn't fault him for his business acumen, but for his self-centered attitude. The rich man says to himself: "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." (Luke 12:19)

The man actually believes that his riches will now insulate his life from hardship. God isn't in the equation at all. The man's focus is squarely on goods rather than God. "20 But God said to him, 'You fool!41 This very night your life will be demanded42 from you. Then who will get what you have prepared43 for yourself?'" (Luke 12:20)

Our life is not ours to control, but God's. He is in charge and can call due the loan of our lives at any moment he chooses. Yes, God will hold us accountable for how we used our lives and the gifts are God's. And we cannot take credit for what is God's.  Unfortunately, the rich man's focus is on himself -- "what you have prepared for yourself" -- not on God. And so God chooses to take back that night what belonged to God in the first place.

Being wealthy is not a sin but if a person lives in such a way that others know he/she is wealthy, then it is a sin. Secret wealth that's given away according to His will is not a sin -- showy wealth IS a sin. Personally, I regard highly wealthy people suspiciously. They haven't given it away, and the fact that I know of their wealth -- that they've broadcasted their own wealth with their possessions or attitude -- suggests they have a serious character deficit.

What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude?

According to the parable, the rich man had an abundant harvest. Rather than give it away to the church or others, he spent his time worrying about how he would store and keep it for himself. He was neither "rich toward God," nor rich toward others. His sinful attitude can be seen in his greed, his desire for more-more-more, his pride in building bigger storehouses ... his public display of wealth.

How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

I live in a family who never has debt -- no mortgage, payments of any kind for cars, etc. We give to each other when we have need, sometimes large amounts of money. We live so simply and below our means that we don't have to worry or care about money (we call this "plain living"). Frankly, I think this is one of the best lessons learned from my earthly father who is not a Christian but inherited "Christian values" from his Quaker/Anglican forebears.

Very few people share our values about wealth and money. No Christian should have debt. No Christian should care about what others think about their income or social status. No Christian should live near or above his/her means. No Christian should hoard money (an implicit lack of trust in God's provision), but should be willing to give it away ... to give it ALL away, if this is what God demands.

No, being wealthy is not a sin for a Christian. 

The rich man's sin was greed, or a selfish attitude. 

Some people think that they have to have more, or better than what others have in the neighborhood. 

Some Christians think that they are liked more than others, or that they have a better office than others. Or even drive better vehicles just to be seen 

Q48. (Luke 12:16-21)

Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighbourhood or social circle? Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviours and values?

Being wealthy is not a sin, but it can be used for God’s purposes or for selfish means. There are many examples of wealthy people who were used by God in mighty ways. I think of Abraham, Jacob, Solomon, Matthew, and Joseph of Arimathea who were all people of great means. It is the deceitfulness of riches that we are to be aware of. It can cause us to wander away from our Lord, plunging us into ruin and destruction. The rich man obtains riches only for himself. He never thinks of the good he can do for God’s kingdom with all the extra wealth, but where can he hoard it. Jesus described him as a fool – not because he was rich, but because he lived without any awareness of and preparation for eternity. I saw greed in two of my friends. It’s not for me to criticise either one, for I know how easy it is to fall into this trap. Both have since passed on, so I feel free to mention them. My one friend was brought up in a very poor family, and by means of study loans he managed to graduate as a medical doctor. After a few years in practice, he started accumulating all sorts of things, as if in a frenzy. He had 10 cars, woodwork machines, cameras, suits – everything in excess. He bought a farm and built a shed on it, and would go to auctions and buy just about anything he could get his hands on. All to be stored in a huge barn he had built on the farm. It was not that he would ever use the items bought. It was just to have it. Then my other friend, he had his own construction company. He retired extremely wealthy and was living on a 28-acre property. He had more money than he could ever use. After about a year of retirement he decided to build an extra 14 new homes on his property as this would generate several extra millions. I must mention that he was most generous in supporting several missionaries as well as our church. Greed is a strong/selfish desire for more and more and still more. Besides material wealth there can be an excessive/greedy longing for power, for honour, for prestige, for position. I would imagine it could apply to anything that a person wants in excess of their needs. In both Eph 5:5 and Col 3:5, Paul calls greed idolatry because it places earthly possessions and passions ahead of God in the person’s life. I think in our materialistic world today this sin of greed/covetousness is the one we all are most prone to. Greed was Satan’s sin – he coveted something better, rebelled and was cast out of heaven with a third of the angels. Adam and Eve were not satisfied with the things which God gave them in Eden. They wanted more, and the result was that their sin brought death and damnation into the world. Greed is a sin which, ever since the fall, has brought ruin and destruction, misery and unhappiness to so many.

Q48. (Luke 12:16-21) Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

No, but loving money in competition with loving God is a sin.

Pride; the pride of life and the pride of all have accomplished and accumulated. And leaving God out of his life, thinking, I’ve got it made. All his treasures were of this world and none laid up for heaven.

Sure and in myself as well.

The Bible says that you cannot love both God and money. They are not compatible in competition with one another. Greed will most definitely influence a Christian’s values. It will draw him/her away from their faith in God.

No being wealthy is not a sin for many patriarchs in the Old Testament were wealthy.  Even David, when rebuked, God basically told him, I have given you everything you could ever want and would've given you more if you had only asked, but you chose to take what belonged to another and which was all he had... what was not yours. Money is not evil... it is the love and dependence on money that turns our focus from eternal to temporal, that removes Christ from the throne and places worthless paper in his place.

He was selfish, thinking only of himself.  He saw his abundance as a blessing all for him.  He did not understand that every good thing comes from God and He gives freely so that we, also, can learn to give freely.

How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle?

I think America has become a country of self-indulgent greedy people.  Bigger is better... more is never enough... new phones that cost thousands of dollars seen as a necessity yearly... multiple cars that cost more than houses parked in every driveway... We see someone as poor if their car is more than 10 years old... we have lost the understanding of true need... we are a nation of bigger barns... just look at the self-storage industry! They are on just about every corner and every unit is full of "stuff"! We only see greed as those who are millionaires buying yachts.  We fail to look at our own homes where we have more TVs and cars than occupants living there.  We fail to look at our own closets that are overflowing with clothes as we say, "I have nothing to wear".  Looking for greed in my neighborhood and social circles is like trying to remove a speck from my neighbor's eye when I have a timber in my own.  

Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

Spiritually:  Greed causes us to hold on tightly to what is temporal.  Greed causes us to serve money and possessions instead of the Most High God.  Greed causes us to make idols out of things created by men. Greed steals our purpose as a child of God.

Secularly: Greed causes us to give away that which is worn out and no longer of use and call it charity.  Greed causes us to give without sacrificing a thing but feel, in our hearts, as if we sacrificed greatly.  Greed causes us to judge the poor and needy before, after and while we are helping them. 

Q48. (Luke 12:16-21) Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

1. No! It is the way you handle money. We must always put God first regardless of how much money we have.

2. He only thought of himself and put God on the back of things. He had a selfish attitude. 

3. They think of themselves and will not give anything to people that have less. They feel as if it's all about them and have respect of persons to give a little to.

4. Yes, Christians can be. Holding on to something when they have enough to give others. Not having enough faith that God will provide if they give their last.

5. Trying to have more than others, refusing to give when they see others in need, giving what they don't want, and judging others because they have something that looks bad to them. Thinking they are better because of the things they have and refusing to use what they have to help others. 

I love Proverbs 30:8&9--what a concept: our daily bread.  Jesus imparted wisdom when He taught us to pray that! (Matthew 6) I see greed in my own life with my full closet and full pantry while I know others in the world are in need.  While I cannot provide for all of the poor in the world, I need to be sure I am giving to God what He asks of me.  He has blessed me with daily bread.  He has blessed me with abundance.  When we begin to think we 'deserve' extra wealth we fall into a perilous pit of greed.  Yes, I see scrambling for gain everywhere in my neighborhood and social circle.  I see even Christians living in this manner.  I need to pray for myself and for them--more.

Q48. (Luke 12:16-21) Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian? No.

What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude? Selfishness. Greed.

How do you sometimes see greed in the people in your neighborhood or social circle? My mothers word was “parsimonous”. People making a point of tipping to the penny the minimum expectation openly.

Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values? To hold back a sudden abundance instead of paying attention in the Spirit to dispence as and when told.

Is being wealthy a sin for a Christian?  No

What was the rich man's actual sin or sinful attitude?  He did not consider God at all.  He was greedy in wanting to keep his riches all for himself.  There was no thought of sharing even a small portion with the poor.  So it was the love of riches that had caught up with him.  Selfishness.

Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?  Being blind to the needs of others.  Accruing wealth and not helping the poor and needy in any way.  Not looking to God to fulfill His purpose in our life, with the gifts He has graciously bestowed on us.  

No, as long as we put GOD first in everything we do.

He was self-centered, everything was about himself. He will do this and this. Nothing about GOD or even his workers.

The more they have the more they want. There is no need for anther but yes it is there.

Christians aren't immune. In what ways might greed influence a Christian's behaviors and values?

When competition arise and focus is not on GOD but worldly things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Being wealthy is not a sin for Christians. It all depends on how we got that wealth. The actual sin was that man plans did not including God in what he was going to do with that abundant harvest. We can usually see greed in people by their attitude.