JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

God would give a Messiah to Israel theough David’s lineage. David would not build the temple , but his son, as David had his hands fill of blood of so many deaths due to wars.

God forgave David for his sin with bathesheeba. 

Q1. (2 Samuel 7:11-16) What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant? What does it say about the temple? About David’s descendants? About discipline? About mercy? About the throne?

The Davidic Covenant, as outlined in 2 Samuel 7:11-16, encompasses several key provisions:

1. The Promise of a Dynasty: God promises to establish a dynasty for David, ensuring that his lineage will endure forever. "I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom."

2. The Building of a House for God: Though David desires to build a house (temple) for God, God instead declares that He will build a house (dynasty) for David. "The Lord himself will establish a house for you."  In the passage, God redirects David's desire to build a physical temple by promising to establish a "house" (dynasty) for him instead. Although God doesn't speak extensively about the temple in this passage, He promises that David's descendant (Solomon) will be the one to build it. This suggests that while David's intentions were good, God had a different plan regarding the construction of the temple. The temple itself becomes a symbol of God's presence among His people and a central place of worship for Israel.

3. The Continuation of David’s Lineage: God guarantees that David's descendants will rule over Israel perpetually. "I will establish his kingdom forever."

4. Discipline and Correction: God indicates that He will discipline David's descendants when necessary, but His love will never depart from them. "When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands." God acknowledges that David's descendants will not always be perfect and will sometimes err. He indicates that when this happens, He will discipline them accordingly, using human instruments as a means of correction. This demonstrates God's commitment to righteousness and justice, even within the context of His covenant relationship with David's line.

5. Unconditional Mercy: Despite any wrongdoing by David's descendants, God assures His steadfast love and faithfulness. "But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you." Despite the acknowledgment of discipline for wrongdoing, God reaffirms His unconditional love and mercy towards David's descendants. He declares that His steadfast love will never be taken away from them, even if they falter. This underscores the enduring nature of God's covenantal faithfulness, which is not contingent upon human perfection but rather rooted in His own character.

6. The Eternal Throne: God confirms that David's throne will endure eternally through his descendants. "Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever. God promises that David's dynasty will endure forever and that his throne will be established eternally. This assurance speaks to the continuity and permanence of David's lineage as rulers over Israel. Ultimately, this promise finds its fulfillment in the messianic hope, with Jesus Christ being recognized as the ultimate fulfillment of the Davidic covenant and the eternal king of God's people.

7. These provisions highlight God's faithfulness to His promises, His commitment to David and his descendants, the importance of obedience, the consequences of disobedience, and the enduring nature of His covenant with David. 

8. In summary, while the passage primarily focuses on God's covenant with David and the establishment of his dynasty, it also touches upon themes of discipline, mercy, and the enduring nature of the throne, providing a comprehensive picture of God's relationship with David and his descendants.

That God would establish the dynasty of David through his descendants, even if they may sin and the promise has been the coming of Jesus the messiah of the house of David.

The temple is to be a permanent presence of  God where the people of Israel have found rest ie in Jerusalem.

God promised David that he would always  have a descendant to carry on his dynasty forever.But if the descendants sin, God would bring chastisement to them but will not cast them out as He did to Saul. The continuation of the throne in the Davidic covenant will eventually be the  coming of the Messiah who will sit on an eternal throne to rule and reign in power forever and forever in an eternal kingdom . 

What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant? What does it say about the temple? About David’s descendants? About discipline? About mercy? About the throne?

The main point of the covenant, as I see it, is that David's bloodline would continue and would in some manner produce leaders. One of those "leaders" was Christ Himself. Thus, his claim to the throne would be everlasting.

The two lesser points of the covenant have to do with the temple. David would not be the one to build the temple, but rather, one of his sons.

Regarding discipline and mercy, I'm not sure I can answer this question correctly so will wait and learn from these lessons.  

Q1. (2 Samuel 7:11-16)

What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant?

That GOD will raise up David's offspring to succeed him who will come from David's own body, and GOD will establish his kingdom. He (Solomon) is the one who will build a house for GOD's Name, and GOD will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

What does it say about the temple?

David is not the one to build a house (temple) for GOD to dwell in.

About David's descendants?

God promises that one of David's natural sons will build the temple.

About discipline?

GOD will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, GOD will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men. 

About mercy?

GOD's love will never be taken away from him.

About the throne?

David's throne will be established forever.

Q1. The main provisions of the Davidic Covenant are :1.The temple,2.Everlasting Dynasty.3. The temple builder. 
1. the temple will not be built in David’s lifetime by David but by one of his offspring.

2. Everlasting Dynasty God promises David that He will establish an everlasting dynasty to follow David and nothing will overcome it. God will never take His love away as He did with Saul.

3. David would not be the temple builder because he had spilt too much innocent blood, but one of his offspring would build it after David passed away.

In verse 14 we are told “I will be his father and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with flogging inflicted by human hands. 
verse 15 tell us that The Lord tell David that He will never take Hid love away from him as God did with Saul. 
verse 16 tells us that David’s house and kingdom will endure forever, and his throne will be established forever. 

It is a Davidic house; limited to posterity of David.  A throne: characterized by royal authority. A kingdom: a sphere of rule. Perpetually forever; it will last forever.  

Solomon will build the Temple of God in Jerusalem. God assures David that his posterity will always occupy the throne of David. One pertinent condition:  disobedience in the Davidic family will be meted out by the chastisement of God.

Mercy of God is everlasting!  Principal of judgment is always remedial for those in the family of God.  However; judgement of the wicked is penal, not remedial. The Davidic throne will be eternal.  The Lord God will yet give to Christ "the thorn crowned One  "the throne of his father David".

Q1. (2 Samuel 7:11-16) What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant?

ANSWER: The Davidic Covenant refers to God’s promises to David through Nathan the prophet and is found in 2 Samuel 7. This is an unconditional covenant made between God and David through which God promises David and Israel that the Messiah (Jesus Christ) would come from the lineage of David and the tribe of Judah and would establish a kingdom that would endure forever. The Davidic Covenant is unconditional because God does not place any conditions of obedience upon its fulfillment. The surety of the promises made rests solely on God’s faithfulness and does not depend at all on David or Israel’s obedience.

What does it (the Davidic Covenant) says about the temple?

ANSWER: In 2 Samuel 7 David expresses a desire to build God a “house,” i.e., a temple (7:2), but instead God promises to build David a “house,” i.e., a dynasty (7:11). GOD told David It was good that you wanted to build a Temple in my honor, most commendable! But you are not the one to do it, your son will build it to honor my Name. '

What does it (the Davidic Covenant) says about David’s descendants?

ANSWER: This is the covenant where God promises a descendant of David to reign on the throne over the people of God. God promises that David's offspring will build a house for God, and that he will establish David's kingdom forever (2 Samuel 7:13). God promises, "I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son" (2 Samuel 7:14a).

What does it (the Davidic Covenant) says about discipline?

ANSWER: God warns that he will discipline David's offspring if he commits iniquity, but God also promises that his steadfast love will not depart from  David as it was taken from Saul (2 Samuel 7:14b–15).

What does it (the Davidic Covenant) says about mercy?

ANSWER: Mercy brings us from the status of being being condemned to forgiven, and grace brings us from forgiven to favored. The covenant of God's mercy promises the gift of salvation and righteousness to anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as lord and savior. This salvation is all encompassing, deliverance from eternal condemnations, healing, recovery and prosperity.

The covenant of the sure mercy of David. This “sure mercy” encompasses the selection of young David as king after Saul, a man after God's own heart who would fulfill all of God's will (Acts 13:22) as well as the covenant that God swore to David concerning his seed: “Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Savior Jesus.”

The message on the sure mercy of David: … In the matter of our salvation, “the sure mercies of David” mean that God has laid help upon his Son, Jesus Christ. You cannot help yourself, but Christ can help you; you cannot cleanse yourself, but Christ can cleanse you; you cannot save yourself, but Christ can save you.

What does it (the Davidic Covenant) says about the throne?

ANSWER: The meaning of the throne of David: … THE THRONE of David: Or An exposition of the second book of Samuel. Wherein is set down the pattern of a pious and prudent prince, and a clear type of the prince of princes Christ Jesus the son of David, and of his spiritual Kingdom.

“He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end” (Luke 1:32–33; cf. Luke 1:68–75).

God promises the children of Israel peace i.e. He will give the rest

David had the intention of building the temple but God thought it otherwise and told him a person from his linage will build the temple 

The Lord promised David that His throne is established forever and will not miss a person from his linage on the throne

The Lord will discipline those who disobey His commandments

What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant? What does it say about the temple? About David's descendants? About discipline? About mercy? About the throne? 
The main provisions are that David will have a son (Solomon) who will succeed him and establish his kingdom; the throne of this kingdom will be established forever; and will not be taken away because of Solomon’s sin. Solomon and not David will be the one to build the temple. Further David’s dynasty, his throne, and his kingdom would be established forever, and his own descendants would sit on the throne. About the temple - God had told David that he was not to build the temple since he was a warrior and his job was to unify and lead Israel and destroy the enemy. He would use Solomon instead who was a man of peace and rest (1 Chr 22:8-9). About David’s descendants - we know that it is through this covenant that God promises that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Messiah, will ultimately establish His throne and His eternal kingdom. About discipline - it is an unconditional covenant. There is no mention of discipline or any conditions of obedience. About mercy - it is solely dependent on God’s mercy, faithfulness, love, and grace. About the throne - the throne of Solomon will not be taken away even though his sins demand punishment. The throne of his kingdom will be established forever.  

On 3/18/2024 at 7:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (2 Samuel 7:11-16) What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant? What does it say about the temple? About David’s descendants? About discipline? About mercy? About the throne?

Temple. Everlasting Dynasty, Temple Builder;  God said that one of David's natural sons would build the temple; God said, I will raise up a dynasty of kings!  His son would build a house—a temple—for my name and I will secure his royal throne forever;   After David's death, I will raise up one of your descendants, your own offspring, and I will make his kingdom strong;  He will be my son, If he sins, I will correct and discipline him with the rod, but my favor will not be taken from him as I took it from Saul. Your house and your kingdom will continue before me for all time, and your throne will be secure forever.’”  

Q1. (2 Samuel 7:11-16)

What are the main provisions of the Davidic Covenant?

God will be with him.  Enemies will be cut off.  He will not be forgotten, but will be counted with the Great men.  God will appoint a place for His people, Israel.  They will have rest from their enemies.  David's throne will be established forever.  

What does it say about the temple?

David will not build God's "House", but one of his offspring will. 

What does it say about David's descendants?

It will  be an everlasting dynasty.  Eventually it will be the Messiah Who will reign on David's throne.  

What does it say about discipline?

David's offspring will be punished if they do wrong.  They will be disciplined like a son would be disciplined.

What does it say about mercy?

There will be forgiveness of sins, so there will be MERCY.  

What does it say about the throne?

His throne will be established forever.