JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Balancing Obedience with Rationality

Q4.

Q. Why do we demand that God's directions make sense to us before we'll follow them?

A. Because humanly, we can’t see clearly the paths He want us to follow and our faith is not strong enough to take His instructions by faith

Q. What's the spiritual danger here?

A. Our weak faith. We need to pray to God to increase our faith.

Q. We're afraid of being -- or being perceived as -- religious kooks. How can we balance blind obedience with getting confirmation through spiritual people whose discernment we trust?

A. By seeking the leadership of the Holy Spirit, our counsellor and source of wisdom. We can also pray for God to increase our faith even as we seek the counsel of experienced members of the church.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/24/2003 at 11:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. Why do we demand that God's directions make sense to us before we'll follow them? What's the spiritual danger here? We're afraid of being -- or being perceived as -- religious kooks. How can we balance blind obedience with getting confirmation through spiritual people whose discernment we trust?

Because we want it to work out so that we are successful. Pride.

Prayer, for discernment. Staying in God's word,  ask for counsel.  However, when sure have to be willing to obey, like Gideon.

• 9 months later...

We are molded in a rationalistic culture.  Our culture doesn't believe in "credo ut intelegam".  I believe so that I am may understand.  The consciousness of the average individual is quite limited.   German modern philosopher Martin Heidegger stated repeatedly that the herd existence of modern society is detrimental.  So the unbeliever cannot comprehend divine healing and other cardinal doctrines of Christainity.

In regards to spiritual danger, this is a timely topic.   If we don't heed to the Holy Spirit;  we do fall short.   If I didn't heed to go and preach on skid row in NYC;  people wouldn't get saved and others wouldn't hear the Gospel.  Yes, there were challenging times!   Days that were long and lots of highway miles.  Not looking for a pay check but doing all in a spirit of love.

Carefull discernment is critical.   Some new converts are not ready to go out and preach outdoors in NYC.  They need to prepare.  Develop a strong prayer life and disciplined life style.   Same thing with preaching outdoors---in other states--some people have great intentions but are not emotionally mature to take on serious ministerial duties.  Paul and Silas were ready for the ministry;  they were prepared over a period of time before embarking on mission trips.  There are well intentioned people that "went" but were not "sent" by God.  The gift of wisdom is so needed as we contemplate future decisions!

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why do we demand that God's directions make sense to us before we'll follow them?

What's the spiritual danger here?

We're afraid of being -- or being perceived as -- religious kooks.

How can we balance blind obedience with getting confirmation through spiritual people whose discernment we trust?

I don't think we always do that intentionally.    If we do I guess it is because we do not see the full picture.  

The danger is that we then partly follow His directions and then go off on a tangent  that reads "I think this way .   .   ."  There is no longer certainty and we no longer walk by faith.  Big doubts have clouded our visions.

I do believe that it is good to share with people we trust and to pray together for peace and clear guidance before venturing forth.