JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Value of Trials

Unfortunately my trials have come in the form of marital disputes. Satan knows that is the easiest way to get to me. I just have to keep in mind the verse that says it's spiritual warfare. I know satan is always the cause of it, it is just very hard to remember to let God handle the situation instead of taking it head on.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All!,

God used trials to bring me back to Him. I had been away from Him for 10 years and it was not until I had nothing left in 2001, that I finally called to Jesus to come back into my life. It has put a different perspective on my faith. While I had been a Christian 10 years before, my faith was more like expecting God to do what I wanted; rather like a spiritual Santa Claus. Now I am in a place where all I want to do is find out what His will is and follow that. I lost everything in 2001, but since I have come back to Jesus, He has blessed me in so many ways. I have a wonderful faithfilled husband, a beautiful bungalow, and have been welcomed into my husbands family. Although I ended up moving 150 miles from where I used to live in 2001, it feels like a new start and a new life. All I can do is praise and worship Jesus for all He has done for me. Without the trial it would have never happened.

Lizzie x

Unfortunately my trials have come in the form of marital disputes. Satan knows that is the easiest way to get to me. I just have to keep in mind the verse that says it's spiritual warfare. I know satan is always the cause of it, it is just very hard to remember to let God handle the situation instead of taking it head on.

Dear Kimmy, sorry to hear that you are suffering trials at the moment. May I tell my husband so that we can pray for you? I will be praying anyway. Try to meditate on how much Jesus loves you, so you are not completely drained. I send my love to you as well. Lizzie xx

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

When I go through trials, I am forced to call out to God for help with more passion, more desperation and a mdeeper sense of hunger for Him to move in my life in a more powerful way than before. trials remind me that God is shaping me as a powerful weapon against the enemy, satan. If I put my complete trust and faith in God, he gives me the strength I need to resist the devil. As long as I allow God to test me, I become more mature in Him and a much more grounded and happy Christian. However, there are many times when I give up too soon. I do complain. But thank God, He is stilll working on me and with me.

I have to say I have not had alot of really hard trials. I consider the things I have faced in my life to be like that of others...divorced parents, dad living far away, sorta rebellious in my late teen years. A first marriage that didn't work out and then trying to start over with two young daugthers. I accepted Christ's help at that time, ten years ago, and I left so many bad habits behind. Anxiety gone...a fresh start and I believed everything I read and heard. Lately my trial has been disappointment and hurt from the church I have attended. I feel very sad over the bad examples and wonder...HOW is God working in this. Satan did step in and try to convince me that God was not in it and I should just walk away. So once I realized that I was spending more time giving Satan the attention he wanted I had to get back on track. I have seen God step in in a moment and begin to show me to trust him again...TRUST is a big issue for me I am seeing. I also feel like He wants to take me back to the moment I accepted Jesus and start there. I want to be mature, I want to depend on Him and I want to change...pleasing God.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?
Trails in my life have brought me closer to the Lord simply because I realized that I can't do it alone. It has made me reached down inside and show me I had to reach up before moving out into the world. The song that comes to mind is Through it all, Through it all, I have learned to trust in Jesus, I have leaned to trust in God..For if I never had a trouble, I wouldn't know that God could solve them, I wouldn't know what faith in God can do.

Prior to this I had not viewed trials as a "value" before. But I suppose if trials produce perseverance, then they should be valued. When trials came, it's not like I had the attitude "Yahoo! Another opportunity to grow in perseverance!" It was more like, "Lord, what are you doing? Are you closing a door? Are you leading me to depend on you? Or are you testing me?" I've noticed that in big trials I tend to depend on the Lord more; however, with everyday little things, I tend to not notice them more readily thus Satan has the upper hand. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I've begun to really depend on the Lord. I've noticed that by depending on him, I see my circumstances more clearly as trials or answered prayers.

• 1 month later...

I used to be disheartened by trials and always used to ask always "why God, why do this to me of all people?" . Dispite being brought up a christian in all aspects,I was always hesitant to be submissive to God when I used to be under trial. But by His grace God has not let satan overpower me even when I used to turn to Him after trying to get out of it by myself without success and have always pulled me closer to Him.

Now I am more submissive and at peace what ever the problems be and I believe my Lord have been refining me allthrough the time and never wanted me to wander away...Maybe later in my life I will be able to be count it joyful to be under trials as James tells us to and trust God more to let Him refine me more and to improve my faith.

• 3 weeks later...

It was because of something I battled/struggled with for years that my Christian life hit a turning point. At that time I had a growth spurt, actually more like a launch into a deeper relationship with Jesus. That was 10 years ago and my relationship with Him grows deeper each year. I had been a Christian about 20 years before this launch took place. So that "trial" (stuggle) has great value.

Satan trys to destroy me using this specific struggle. But it seems to me all he's been able to do is trip me up. But my Lord is always right there to help me back up. And when I get back up, I'm stronger because of Him. He is refining me and I am so thankful.

How have I changed? I don't go to the false god nearly as much as I use to. It continues to become a smaller and smaller part of my life. I am more accepting of what might be God's will and letting go of what I thought was my will....but really I want His will.

• 1 month later...

The trials that I have had since presenting my self a living sacrifice have served to make me more dependent on Christ. I have been fortunate to hide most of his words in my heart in a very short period of time and have clung closely to his promises and his commands during many trials that would have led me headlong into destructive sinning prior to my conversion. Some of the trials have even served to cause me to walk in Christian ways that I had not yet known were required of me. I have found that perserverence during trials which satan would delight in, have in fact helped to coax me into closer union with our Lord and a standard of conduct more worthy of Him. For this reason, I can't help but marvel at how severely Christ continues to more than conquer our enemy and in fact uses satan's evil intentions to work good for me and His name's sake. What a sufficient savior we have!

Daily trials are brought accross my path whether it is at work, when amoungst friends or even when I am with family members and daily I have to pray for wisdom to pass these trials or selfcontrol to not give in to the temptatians brought before me. I think the value that trials have in my life is that it made me realise that I can not try and pass a trial without the power and assistance of the Lord. I have to submit to his will and he will help me overcome any obstical in my way. I have been destroyed by Satan before in my younger years, but I have found the Lord again and Satan has not had a hold on me ever since.

I have changed.

Charles

Daily trials are brought accross my path whether it is at work, when amoungst friends or even when I am with family members and daily I have to pray for wisdom to pass these trials or selfcontrol to not give in to the temptatians brought before me. I think the value that trials have in my life is that it made me realise that I can not try and pass a trial without the power and assistance of the Lord. I have to submit to his will and he will help me overcome any obstical in my way. I have been destroyed by Satan before in my younger years, but I have found the Lord again and Satan has not had a hold on me ever since.

I have changed.

Charles

Welcome back prodigal brother!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe we go through trials every day. For me, trials give me a opportunity to show my faith and conviction to live my life as jesus did. I know i fall short, but i allow god to correct me. I feel the the ways of the world pulling on me, but i know that god will deliver me from evil through the scripture and prayer. I change or improve every day.

• 2 weeks later...

It took a while for me to fully understand about trials and their purpose. It has been my experience that when I am faced with trials, my walk with the Lord has been slack. My prayer life has fallen off and my attitude toward worldy things has increased, taking my eye off the prize and my faith in the back seat so to speak. The trials seem to bring me back and help me regain my focus on faith that God WILL get me through the trial. I would tend to say that God has refined me through trials bringing me closer to him and his will for me. I have changed over the years working daily to try to keep my relationship with God 1st in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite ashamed about how I have dealt with trials lately, actually! Reading this passage has helped me put some things in my life in perspective. While they are indeed small trials, I can see now that they are God's ways of currently stretching me and preparing me for what is to come. I am so glad that I have been alerted to this concept. I know that it will really help me next time I feel tried. I need to look to Jesus instead of turning to things that I know are bad for me, things that Satan wants me to be involved in. God is so good! His Word is so appropriate for every situation.

• 3 weeks later...

:) Once in my life I allowed trials to dystroy me by talking about them to anyone who wanted to listen and sometimes talking (gossiping) about the person who hurt me. But, now since studying and understanding why we have trials I handle them through the Word. My heart is not as vunerable to attack as in the past. Now when thingss come my way I work on handling these trials the way that God meant us to. [/size].[/font]

• 3 weeks later...

What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

To be honest I have given into the attractive temptations that Satan has set before me many times and they have definitely hurt my walk with the Lord. But whenever I start to feel so guilty about the sins that I have committed I realize that this guilt does not lead to repentance, but to more guilt. I feel as if I am not worthy to be forgiven. This is when the Lord helps me realize that his guilt is not from Him, but from Satan. Guilt is different from conviction. Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit which leads to repentance. I believe that although I have struggled in the past and will continue to struggle in the future, the Lord has definitely taught me so much through these trials. He has given me hope after each trial to turn to Him for strength and has made it very clear that not only can I not overcome sin on my own, but that Jesus has already conquered sin for me and all of us. The Lord has taught me many things and I know that as I continue to walk with Him, He will continue to give me strength when these trials come and continue to increase my faith. God Bless you all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced several trials.. In 2005 I was going through a painful divorce, unemployed, technically homeless (I lived with my kids at my parents house but had no home of my own) and had numerous other struggles. This set of trials actually brought me back to Christ's love. When I hit 'rock bottom" in dealing with the overwhelming plethora of difficulties, I broke down and turned it all over to God. Since then my life has improved a thousand fold and I know, no matter what happens, I can find solace in Him.

Christ definitely refined me (one of my favorite comparisons of tribulations is "like silver refined"). Oddly, it isn't the BIG moments of tribulations that cause me to struggle with my faith and trust in God's plan.. it's the little ones.. I had supreme faith in Him as I waited on a new job, for my financial situation to improve and for my life to get back on track.. It's the smaller things like still being single after 4 years since my divorce, going on yet another horrible date or having minor bills pile up, that I get frustrated..

I think of 2005 as a big turning point in my life.. I renewed my life in Christ, I found a church home, I became a Stephen Minister, a Eucharistic Minister and a volunteer with my local domestic violence and sexual assault response organization. I am contemplating becoming a foster parent in the future, I have done 2 mission trips to Romania to work with orphans and I am in a period of personal discernment to decide if I want to pursue candidacy for becoming an ordained deacon in the Episcopal church.

Of all the books, James is my favorite due to its practical focus and stance on "works". I completely embrace that through grace we are saved and that there is nothing we can do to ever earn that grace and salvation but, to me at least, it seems like we ought to at least attempt to emulate Christ in thanksgiving for our salvation. Christ was not someone who sat back and basked in glory or leveraged his power of being God's son for His personal gain. He went out and got hands on with people, healing, counseling, leading and teaching. If we live by His example, we should be compelled to help others and "work" for his grace.

I had faced an Trail of Failures in my life.. Whatever i do end up in failure

Yes... I think i have let the satan

I forgot God in my testing times

I changed by realizing that God is creator and destroyer of this whole world and i am his child.

Trials in my life have been many. The most trying I thought, was when 4 people who I really depended on died within a 6 month period. Satan thought he had me because I truly had trouble dealing with this. I often asked how could a God who loved me allowed this to happen. One night he brought to my remembrance when I was a little girl, I was kneeling on the ground drawing in the dirt and made the statement, "I wanted to die before any of my people." God showed me that he was the only one that I needed, it was like he said "Okay, where are they now?" From that minute to this I know without a doubt that as long as I have him I have everything.

The trials in my life have been invaluable. I've gone through more than one divorce and am now separated from my third husband. I was hurt by all three and felt unloved and embarrassed by their treatment and even more humiliated to "lose another one" (as a family member put it). After the collapse of my third marriage, I fell into depression and even contemplated suicide. The only thing I could think to do was call to God for deliverance. He lifted me. That statement is a fact.

I almost let Satan destroy me. Then I became angry with him for his cunningness and fell more in love with God for his faithfulness.

I'm still going through the refining process. I'm able to recall lessons from my great-grandmother and my grandmother so I have solid examples other than my own experience of how perfectly wise His lessons are for us.

I'm better able now to look past the person who seems to be hurting me to the spirit in the person that is behind it all. It helps me to be less judgemental and to pray for those who I would normally write off as "bad people".

The first major trial in my adult life lead me to God. This happened as a result of my realising that I simply couldn't go on without Him - I didn't have the strength. The strength I needed came from His love for me. I've since faced many minor trials and have learned to lean on God. I have to admit that I've slipped here and there - as we humans do, but the fact that He is always there waiting to dust me off and ready to love me through it never ceases to amaze me.

I now find myself, once again, facing a major trial in my life. One that affects myself and my children in a major and life changing way, and again, the only way to get through is with Gods love and strength.

We need to remember that the bad stuff doesn't come from God, but is bearable because of Him. We also need to remember that evil is ever present and ready to take hold of any opportunity, especially when we are weak and vulnerable. But it is through our own human weakness that we can become stronger in Him, simply by asking.

• 2 weeks later...

. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

I HAVE LEARNED THROUGH MY TRIALS TO LEAN MORE ON THE LORD,

MY TRAILS HAVE TAUGHT ME THAT GOD LOVES ME FOR WHO I AM,AND

THAT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS HE'S NOT GONNA ALLOW MORE ON

ME THAN I CAN HANDLE, I'VE LEARNED THAT WHEN THE TRIALS COMES

IT TO BRING ME CLOSER TO THE FATHER.

SIS. BARB