JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q21. Hedonism

Is God against pleasure? What wrong in living to increase one’s pleasure?

God Himself is pleased at His own creation – the root of the word pleasure is “to please.” Having said this, God often puts believers through times of testing and pain. I would be surprised if any Christian has lived to an old age without suffering. So suffering, not pleasure, seems to be the way He relates to us most strongly.

Most hedonic pleasures are attempts to escape pain, suffering or reality, though not all. Suffering, not pleasure, forces a Christian to face reality squarely, which is why it's so painful. One idea in the scriptures is that suffering is the ONLY way God brings us back to Himself, or grows us spiritually. I would like to think that during times of intense pleasure -- laughing, sex/love, beauty both natural and human, etc. --  we could turn to Him in gratitude, and many times we do. 

Perhaps maturing in Christ includes seeing God in times of pleasure, not only pain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. God is not against pleasure, He has given us all good things to enjoy. This means enjoying them in moderation and as a part of a life that is balanced between work, rest, and play. We are here to serve God, and He has good works prepared for us to do. If we are constantly focused on our own pleasure, we are not living for God and doing the things God wants us to do. 

Q21. (4:1-3) 
Is God against pleasure? 
What wrong in living to increase one's pleasure?
No, I don’t think God is against pleasure as such; in the unselfish sense of the word. He is definitely against any worldly pleasures that take His place in our lives; when the pursuit of personal pleasure becomes selfish, leaving no time to consider our fellow believers; when we become totally self-centred. Besides, worldly pleasures are not always pleasing to God. We only have to read Col 3:5 and Gal 5:19-21 to get an idea of our evil desires. Our hearts are truly deceitful (Jer 17:9). We have this craving for pleasure to satisfy our bodily appetites. There is the **** to accumulate material possessions; also, a drive for prestige. We never seem to be satisfied, always wanting more. This then becomes the source of bickering and strife among unbelievers and unfortunately also believers. It comes from the desire for more, in other words greed; also from covetousness, and jealousy of others. We seem to forget that Jesus told us to first seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness, then He will guarantee our future needs – we will never lack the necessities of life (Matt 6:33). That is to put God first in our lives. 

Q21. (James 4:1-3) Is God against pleasure? No, God is not against pleasure because Psalm 37:4 says delight in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart. John 16:24says …Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy. What's wrong in living to increase one's pleasure? It is wrong to live for one’s selfish pleasure as an end in itself,  devoid of the righteous motives of doing God’s will, because selfishness can deteriorate into quarrels, strife and anger against those we perceive to be frustrating our pursuit of happiness.

Q21. (James 4:1-3) Is God against pleasure? What wrong in living to increase one’s pleasure?

God is not against pleasure, He's against pleasure when it violates his commandments and when it makes us become selfish and when that pleasure causes us to seek the desires of the flesh over the righteousness of God.

Living to increase one's pleasure is self serving and will block your blessings.

Is God against pleasure? What wrong in living to increase one’s pleasure?

God is not against pleasure.  Nothing is wrong with living to increase one's pleasure as long as it is not your main goal in life.  Our personal pleasures must not consist of selfishness.  We must not put everything before God and his people.

Q21. (James 4:1-3) Is God against pleasure? What wrong in living to increase one's pleasure?

No, God is not against pleasure. He is against selfish pleasure. Seeking to increase our pleasure is wrong when it is self-centered and does not take others into consideration. So help me Lord not to be selfish.

Q21. (James 4:1-3) Is God against pleasure?

What's wrong in living to increase one's pleasure?

No I don't think God is against pleasure as such, depending upon the definition of pleasure. Worldly pleasure is definitely not something that is a gain in one's life. Selfish pleasure neither, specially if it is to the detriment of a fellow human being.  Where are one's eyes when our pleasure is increased. Is our focus still on God.

I am reminded of the words a song writer (James Rowe) penned:  Earthly pleasures vainly call me, I would be like Jesus. Nothing worldly shall enthrall me, I would be like Jesus.  Be like Jesus this my song in the home and in the throng, Be like Jesus all day long, I would be like Jesus.     This too is my desire.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what God approves of is what He deems as good-peace, love, faith, innocence, humbleness-this is what pleases him, this is His pleasure. Our pleasure is for sure self-centered-this is the opposite of what those qualities stem from-rather they stem from selflessness. What is wrong with living to increase ones pleasure is we would be living out of God's will-pleasure based life is living more in the World.

On 12/17/2004 at 3:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q21. (James 4:1-3) Is God against pleasure? What wrong in living to increase one’s pleasure?

No, God is not against pleasure.  Rev. 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

If you are living to increase your pleasure in evil desires, passion and ****, and are not seeking to love others and caring for their needs but our own selfish and lustful desires, God is not pleased.

• 2 weeks later...