JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in God's Control

Certainly we can only rejoice if our vision and purpose of life is for the Kingdom of Heaven, but not of this world.  If our purpose of life is for happiness and fulfilment in this world then very quickly we will find that Christian faith is a lost cause, a failure or an absurd reason of life.

Jesus Christ’s response to Pilate was:

Joh 18:36  Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

There is no reason for anyone to follow Christ Jesus if the Kingdom of Heaven is not the purpose of life.

If one’s eyes can open to see the glorious Kingdom of Heaven then the glory and fame of this world are simply vanity, which will quickly turns to dust, or the most detestable thing to embrace for living.

Only by rejecting the glory and fame of this world that we can stand firm and boast for our Christian faith.  We will therefore have the joy to face all adversities of life, and comprehend the joy of Paul that he has expressed while in prison.

Our strong base of faith is the Word of God.  It is the rock on which we should build our house.  Many Christians, though claiming to have faith in Jesus Christ, but are reluctant to read the Bible.  They prefer to listen to the preachers who will give them fabulous and sweet sermons, but they will soon forget all, and then live in fear of the trials of life.

Mat 7:24  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Mat 7:25  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

Mat 7:26  And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Mat 7:27  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Every Christian should read the holy scripture for himself/herself instead of relying to some nice sermons of the Pastor to secure their faith.  Many Christian preachers may twist the word of the Bible and introduce their own interpretation (doctrine) to lure the ignorant believers to work for their own agenda, or ambition.

The Word of God is our light of life, His Holy Spirit is the oil for our lamp, let no one forget the parable of the Ten Virgins:

Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

Mat 25:8  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

Mat 25:9  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

Mat 25:10  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Mat 25:11  Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Mat 25:12  But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

Mat 25:13  Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

God is in control of all, but only if we take His Word into our hearts, we will not be able to smile when facing the tribulation of this world.

Amen.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can have a deep sense of joy when we go through trials and tribulations because we know that this is Gods Will for us. Also has been embedded in our hearts that What we suffer is far less that what Jesus suffered on this earth

We know from the Bible and our life experiences that " all things work together for good" so we have Faith and Wait knowing that the end result will be far better that we can ever dream or comprehend

We can stand firm on the promises of God because He has said all through the Bible that He cares for us He will never forsake us and Lo I am with you ALWAYS even unto the end of this age. So we should adapt to the song DONT WORRY. BE HAPPY

We can have a deep sense of joy when we go through trials and tribulations because we know that this is Gods Will for us. Also has been embedded in our hearts that What we suffer is far less that what Jesus suffered on this earth

We know from the Bible and our life experiences that " all things work together for good" so we have Faith and Wait knowing that the end result will be far better that we can ever dream or comprehend

We can stand firm on the promises of God because He has said all through the Bible that He cares for us He will never forsake us and Lo I am with you ALWAYS even unto the end of this age. So we should adapt to the song DONT WORRY. BE HAPPY

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty? What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems? What is your basis for believing that?

Faith in God makes us to hang on knowing that He will be with us and will deliver us from whatever the challenge.

That God is with us and able to see us through victoriously.

His word assures us that he will ever be with us​

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty? What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems? What is your basis for believing that?

Our ability to rejoice is so dependent upon our faith in the fact that God is in control, and working even in the midst of difficulty; because it gives credence to our witness.   "...they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for My name's sake. "It will lead to an opportunity for your testimony. So make up your minds not to prepare beforehand to defend yourselves;…" (Luke 21:12-14).  Jesus, encouraged the disciples and told us in advance that there will be times of testing and persecution.

As a Believer I must believe in Jesus and in His Word in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems.  I must believe that He will, in the midst of the struggle, be with me and see me through.

I can believe this because Jesus has given me assurances in His Word: "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30).  “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” (1 Peter 5:7).  “…I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20b)

If we are trying to live to please God and not ourself, we have to accept that His will may include suffering and problems to further His unsearchable plan. We can rejoice that His will is being accomplished in our lives and lean on Him for strength. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."!

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?

Answer: Because thru our faith in God we know that whatever trials or problems we might face God is in total control and that we should not worry because He promised us that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems?

We must believed that God is in control and that "All things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are called according to His purpose".

What is your basis for believing that?
Romans 8:28

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 11:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Knowing God is in control brings such joy and freedom, count it All joy.

To believe that God has my destiny, that no matter what he will never leave me.

Because the bible tells me so. AMEN

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 8:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To the degree I truly believe God is in control, the more joy I will have, inversely the less I truly believe He is control the less joy I will have.  I still get bogged down with unbelief.  I say I believe and even think that is true until the trial shows me how weak my belief is.  That is where the trial is working in me the fact that I can trust God to be working behind the scenes and that He is in control of my future. Romans 8:28 is my basis for choosing to believe God in spite of my emotions.  He is refining that belief in me with each trial. After a trial ends, I usually have  deeper trust in Him.

• 4 years later...

I think our ability to rejoice is based on our ability to trust, which is difficult. In Paul's life, God's working-together-for-the-good meant he was brutally murdered. Perhaps this was the best case scenario in Paul's life, but this is hard to believe and I'm certain that Paul would have found difficult to believe that God wouldn't deliver him one more time. He trusted God. He trusted God to deliver him, and in a way, God did deliver Paul by taking his life.

Paul prayed for courage. He mentioned his own death. He saw his own murder as God's purpose to which he had been called. And, he saw this as good.

I'm having difficulties with this, admittedly.

I have no problem with believing that God is all-powerful. He controls human history. He controls the events in my wee life. He counts the hairs on my head and is aware of every dead sparrow falling to the ground. 

But I do have a problem with this: " ... all things work together for the good." Was being brutally murdered for the good in Paul's life? We must believe this, or we doubt God's love for us. 

Lord, Help me know your love. Only if I can trust you to be loving toward me will I be able to rejoice.  Amen.

• 1 month later...

God loves each of us and wants our best.  He also wants us to love and trust Him.  I would run to my earthly father to handle difficult situations when I was a young child.  He would always take care of the situation.   I was always happy because I knew I could count on him. 
There is no true comparison to my heavenly father because He is our ALL in ALL.  He will never leave me nor forsake me.  My earthly father was only human and did human things. God cannot, as He loves beyond measure, I’ve seen it in my life over and over again.  How can I keep from rejoicing?