JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in God's Control

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty? What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems? What is your basis for believing that?

you know surrender and trust is not an easy thing to do. even though we may verbalize it, we just might still be holding on to our lives somewhere. but god does let us go until we finally commit all our difficulty to him. he knows we still try do it ourselves. but we know when he does take over, it is so much easier now isn't it?

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?

We can rejoice in the midst of difficulty because the God who holds the future holds our destiny. We can remain in control in the face of hardship and rejoice as God brings us to fulfill His Will in our lives.

What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems?

We must believe that God is in control and that He has a plan for our lives and if we but trust Him we will see that the problems we face are stepping stone to something greater.

What is your basis for believing that?

I believe Paul when he wrote:

"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose."
(Romans 8:28, NRSV)

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty? What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems? What is your basis for believing that?

It is that knowledge that God is in control (as James put it, rejoice in trials because God is developing our faith in them), that permits us to rejoice. All for Him. You must believe that God is your God and is in control to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems or whatever else. The basis for my belief in this is my application of the Word of God and my practical experience in permitting God to be my God.

• 6 months later...

I often focus on my own situation, and I often mess it up. If I don't remember that God is in Control, then I really get scared. I know that I don't have the skills and abilities to make it in this very competitive world, and I know that I wouldn't be able to save myself or my marriage or my relationships with kids or other families. I am a total screw-up. But --- when I get into trouble, and remember that God is in control, I also believe that he can make something positive out of the screwed up world that I have created for myself. It gives me some level of comfort and joy knowing that no matter how bad it gets, He's always there to make it better. Praise God@

• 3 weeks later...

There is no happiness outside of Christ. We have to have that hope or life is meaningless. You have to believe that God is bigger than you or you problems and that you believe all the scriptures that remind of us of that. One in particular is "Casting all your cares upon him, for he cares for you."(I Peter 5:7) And my favorite in Phil. 4:6-7-Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God and the peace of God that passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. This is my basis for belief--The Bible and Jesus living in me.

If you have no hope (faith), then you will never trust God for the outcome. We should be in a joyful mode when troubles hit because God said they would.

You have to believe Jesus is who he said he is and that even though his ways aren't our ways, he created the world and "us" and he knows the plans he has for us.

I trust him because I found out that there is no life apart from him.

• 3 months later...

We are dependant on our faith in God when we have problems because there's nothing else strong enough to see us though. If we have our faith then we can cling to that. He knows what's going on and he is in control. We can rejoice in God and stand on that. We have to believe in the promises of God during the bad times. My basis for believing that is what God has brought me through so far. What I've seen him do for others.

• 3 months later...

Is I am reminded that James was inspired by God to write and I qoute "Brothern Count it all joy when we fall into divers temptation, knowing that the trying of your faith worketh parience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing (James 1:2-4). To me this is perfect faith that produce perfect peace. We can not help but rejoice knowing that God is in charge of everything most of all in charge of my life, He is giving me self-controll to rejoice no matter what, Praise The Lord !!!

• 6 months later...

Q2. (1:18b-19) Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?

When I fall into the old rut from an abusive childhood, I feel fearful or angry in the face of difficulty. It's when I get a grip and remember that I'm His child, and that He's in control, that I can relax and rejoice, knowing there will be a good outcome.

I must believe that He is omnipresent and involved in my life, that He has a good plan for me (Jer 29:11), and that He will work all things together for my good and His glory, that I might be conformed into the image of Christ. (Rom.8:28,29) I must believe that any trial or difficulty passes through His will before it reaches me, so I can rejoice knowing it will be used to refine my character, bring Him glory, grow me in the knowledge of Him and His love, and strengthen my faith. C.S. Lewis said "Pain is God's megaphone", which tells me that trials are His voice to me and to listen up, and they are His voice through me, to speak into others lives of His love, power and mercy.

I believe the Bible is the Word of God...Jesus is the Word, and He cannot lie, so I can trust Him to do what He says in His Word. I also believe it because I've experienced His salvation, work, intervention, deliverance, help, love, care, provision, healing, in a lifetime of walking with Him.

• 1 month later...

My ability to rejoice is dependent upon my faith that God is in control and that He knows what is the best for me, that He is allowing these circumstances in my life to teach and grow me - in other words, He is right in the middle of my life, in the middle of my really difficult circumstances.

I have to believe that in God and in Christ, I will overcome in the end; I have to believe in all the promises that God made to me through His Word. I have to believe that He is a loving Father who wants to see me become more like Him and only He knows the best way for this to happen. I have to believe that even in the midst of these circumstances, even though I can't see it, Christ will be exalted through my life while I remain in this body whether I live or die. I have to believe that the prayers of others really does make a difference in my life.

Our ability to rejoice is dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty because if we truly believe that God is in control and He is out for our best interests, then we can leave it in His hands, trusting Him. If we did not believe that God was in control... if we did not have faith, then we would have no hope. We would have no joy. But, we HAVE faith! We KNOW that God IS in control. We stand on the scriptures knowing that "all things work together for good" for us when we are in Christ and called according to His purpose. And knowing that, we can choose to be joyful, to be faithful, to walk in peace.

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (1:18b-19)

Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?

As believers,

• 4 months later...

Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty? What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems?

Without our faith that God is in control, we tend to rely upon ourselves. In Paul's case Christians were preachin to cause him pain and strife.......Paul chose to rejoice. Paul chose to rejoice because he is confident that he is "in Christ", that Christ controls his desiny, and he can rest "in trust" towards God.

Like Paul, we are free to rejoice knowing God is in control.

The issue of rejoicing is one of control........worry, fear, anger, resentment are responses to out of control situations or events. To the extent we believe that God is in control, then we can rejoice freely, we can be filled with joy....even in the midst of our most difficult times.

• 3 months later...

To rejoice is a choice "this is a day that the Lord has made, I WILL rejoice and be glad in it". . . Rejoicing is a choice that can be made - and is made - based on the confidence we have in Jesus and His Word. Knowing that God is in control, no matter what the situation is, or what the outside circumstances may be - gives us the liberty to rejoice because we know that "in all things He is cause us to triumph in Christ Jesus" - and that He had already "given us the victory". . . I think that we place far too much emphasis on fighting a battle that has already been fought and won than on rejoicing in what God has already done for us in Christ Jesus. . . By faith I accept the fact that Jesus has already fought the battle and won the victory at Calvary - for me to continually try to fight this battle is an indication that I really don't believe that it has been fought and won by Jesus. The Word of God tells me that it has been fought and won - and for me to exemplify faith in this fact I can and must rejoice - because it is so.

To rejoice in all situations is based on the knowledge that whatever happens WE WIN - and in knowing that we are "more than conquerors through Him that loves us". . .

I believe this first of all because the Word of God tell us that we have already overcome in Christ Jesus - and secondly, because of what I have already experienced in my walk in Christ Jesus and what i continue to experience.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

In Yiddisch, they say: der Mensch macht und G.d lacht.

In English, this means that when people are doing something their way, G.d is laughing at it.

We better not rely on ourselves but on Him because He's in control.

If I were in control of my own life, I would make a mess of it.

It comforts that G.d is in control and that He takes care as a father.

"Jesus loves me, yes I know, for the Bible tells me so"

Many times I feel like Satan is in control and that G.d doesn't care at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

As Romans tells us, we who are working together because we love God and our intentions are to please Him, difficult times will work out, because it is God's will .

Our "faith" that God's will be done in our lives, may be difficult "faith" when put to the test, that is, if our intentions are contrary to those of God, but for those who are called to His purpose, we rejoice, for we know we are in God's will.

What we must believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems is our "faith" - are we by "faith" standing firm and faithful to God and to His calling upon our lives, if so, rejoice, because it calls for God's will to be done, that still means, His will, not ours, that is what we are to rejoice in, no matter what the outcome may be, it is His will that we rejoice in.

My basis for believing this is because God's word tells me it is so and the Holy Spirit has birthed it in my soul -Paul set the perfect example of that, he was faithful to God

• 2 months later...

2a)As believers we are in Christ,He controls our destiny and in him we can chose to put our total trust &through prayers and Holy Spirit we will be emboldened to stand firm,persevere in trials,give thanks to God,rather than worry,be fearful,hold resentment/ anger even in the face of difficulty.

b)God has promised eternal life,to protect us and given us Holy Sprit comforter to help us.Paul Romans 8:28 wrote “we know all things work together for good for those who love God,who are called according to his purposes”We need to stand firm in faith believing that God does provide for our every need.

c)God is faithful.He will never leave us,nor forsake us,He is our constant source of hope and strength to help us persevere through all things. :D

• 7 months later...

We rejoice because we know and believe that we are in God, that He is in control of our destiny, and is working things for our benefit, and that He will deliver us from our difficulties. The basis for our belief is “all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose”. In addition, we have prayer and the Holy Spirit to help us when we have troubles strengthening the basis for our belief.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 1:12-30
Q). Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?
A). We should be honored by the privilege of suffering for Christ. Our faith that God is in control makes us able to rejoice in our suffering.
#
Q). What must you believe in order to be able to rejoice in the midst of problems?
A). For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. -Philippians 1:21
#
Q). What is your basis for believing that?
A). If I live, I get to enjoy Christ's presence as I do now. If I die, things get better yet! (Paul considers death as "gain")

• 6 months later...

question 2-2 Why is our ability to rejoice so dependent upon our faith that God is in control, working even in the midst of difficulty?

To rejoice is to feel or show great joy (in Christ). Paul rejoiced because he knew Christ Messiah was in control and that he was in Christ and longed to be with Christ. He wished to die onto Christ. We also need to trust that God in in control of our fate and that of the church in order to rejoice. As Peter says we must be ready to tell that we are so joyful because our trust is in the Lord.

We must believe as did Paul that God is in control of our lives. We can not believe, no doubt , as fervently as did Paul but we must know and believe as Paul told the jailer in Acts 16.31: "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." This is our task, if we fulfil it we will rejoice in the Lord.

Philippians chapter one!

wwinstony

• 6 months later...

1. According to Hebrews 11:6 (KJV) - without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.  This is definitely a reason to rejoice.  2.  See no. 1, We must believe in the existence of God. 3.  The undisputed “Word of God”, as well as knowing that you know that God is the Master and Creator of all things. 

• 2 months later...

Either I am in control or someone/something else is in control.  If I'm in control I know that I do not have the ability to determine the outcome so if the outcome is what I wanted/expected then I'll be able to rejoice, and if it is not then I won't be able to rejoice because I'll feel I did something wrong or that I could have done better.  But these are after the fact responses.  Looking forward, I don't know if the outcome will be acceptable so I cannot rejoice looking ahead.  I am an unreliable predictor of the outcome -- good or bad.

If someone else is in control then it would be best if that someone is reliable.  God is reliable.  Only God.  Since He is reliable then I know that whatever the outcome it is the best outcome.  Thus by faith I know that I can rejoice because there cannot be failure.  The outcome might not be what I wanted/expected, but at least it will be the best possible outcome since God is reliable.

I can believe that God is reliable because everything that He has said about Himself and about what He created has been found to be true.  Nothing that God has said has turned out in any other way than what He said it would be.  In this I can rejoice.

God has said in Romans 8:28 that He will work all things for good when I rely upon Him and allow Him to be in control.