JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear and a Bold Witness

Fear is a tool of Satan. It can be paralyzing. The only way to overcome it is to let Christ more and more into my life.

Pride is one thing that prevents us from witnessing. I am proud of getting along with my coworkers and others and my selfish pride cringes at the idea of them laughing at me when I witness. Jesus took all the verbal and physical abuse and paid for my sins at the cross, so He knows how it felt. I believe He will give me the right words and help me to speak them.

"Losing my life" for Christ's sake means to let him have control, to seek Him in everything, to put His will first in everything. "Not my will but Thine be done."

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/16/2005 at 11:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

Fear keeps us bound keeps us from doing the things for God that we should be doing.

We are afraid of what people think of us.

Jesus takes over our lives, when we live for him we die to self, so intill then we are never truly living.

Not being sure of my self, not saying the right thing at the right time. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 8:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

Fear can keep us from a bold witness when we fear the possible consequences more than we love , believe, and fear God.  The fear of people binds my own tongue in the same way.  It is easier to share the gospel or even truth in love with someone when I am not facing a possible huge consequences.  This is something the Lord and I are working on and am not there yet.  I know in my heart that laying down or loosing my life for Christ's sake will actually give me more life spiritually. it's easy to share with someone when I truly feel I have nothing to loose,  but that is really not being bold.  It is my desire and prayer that God would give me boldness even in the face of possible severe consequence,  when He wants to speak through me and nudges my heart. that I will obey no matter the consequences.

• 4 years later...

These passages speak to my huge fear that the closer I get to God and the more His Spirit sanctifies me, the more He will make me suffer, perhaps unto death. I can’t help but notice that the apostles all died horrible deaths.

I fear this.

I also fear suffering in itself. In my life there has been a undeniable connection between suffering and spiritual growth. I wish this were not the case, but it is, and since I am determined to fight the good fight and run His race as fast as I can, I predict more suffering.

I am less afraid of being hurt by people than by God. This may sound sacrilegious, but it was God’s will that many died as martyrs and continue to do so. I was God's will that I suffered so greatly in the past few years. He could have changed my circumstances but did not.

He even wills, at times, our painful deaths. He also seems to will the deaths of those who are closest to Him. The paradox of faith is that He pulls away and demands still more from the spiritually mature, and coddles the young in Him. The apostles were murdered, all but one; eleven of twelve. Those are not good odds. Rationally, this should be a disincentive to wanting to grow closer to Him, for the cost is just so high.

Am I willing to suffer and die for Him? Yes, but I don’t want to.

--

If “losing our life” is seen as a metaphor, then it makes sense that a metaphoric death yields abundant life. But, if we actually die, we obviously don’t have abundant life. We’re dead, after all. We do have the next life, in heaven, and I suppose that could be construed as an “abundant life.”," but when I think of life, I think of breathing, eating and loving on this earth, not in heaven.

--

Stupidity, not fear, keeps me from being a clear witness. Also, spiritual immaturity. 

• 1 month later...

Fear is an evil lie.  It casts a dark shadow and touches all areas of our lives.  When we fear, we fear everything and everyone... to different degrees.  I used to be afraid of my husband’s opinion out of fear that he would become upset with me if I spoke up.  I could never witness to him.  Then something wonderful happened and I surrendered my idea of living to living to serve others.  I noticed there were no more criticisms after a while, and I could actually have conversations about Christ with him.  He doesn't yet believe; however, I see him being more considerate of my opinion, my witness.  It is such a blessing.