JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear and a Bold Witness

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

When one does not have "courage",Wisdon, Knowledgeable Faith about what they are speaking about, then boldness is concealed and fear set in and bind there tongue and there throughts causing a henderance to speak and stand bold for Christ.

Only what we do for Christ will last, everything on this earth is temporal but eternal is for ever.

Not any. For God has not given us (me) a Spirit of fear but of Power and of Love and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to witness whenever I can. I don't feel comfortable just preaching publicly but when I'm in a conversation with someone I pray for God to give me the opportunity to witness and He does, and so I do. I usually witness one-on-one. I don't feel comfortable witnessing another way. I can't say that it's fear, I just want it to be sincere otherwise I might scare people away from God's kingdom and be responsible for more lost souls than saved souls. I know that when I get baptized by the Holy Spirit I'll be much, much more effective. To-date I've not yet been baptized by the Holy Spirit. I have the Holy Spirit in me but I haven't received baptism. I know that Jesus didn't start His ministry until after He was baptized by the Holy Spirit and He commanded the apostles to stay in Jerusalem until they received their baptism.

Hi -- I'm new to this on-line Bible study. I'd like to respond to Kas's comment reguarding the concern about the 2nd blessing/ filling of the Holy Spirit. Personally I believe the Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit indwells the person at the time of salvation. Salvation is a one-time event as is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. What can be confusing is the concept of how much the person Submits to the Holy Spirit. How much of our life are we willing to give to Him. We truly desire to be used more by God -- but what are we Presently doing? I found a really good site about this just this morning. I Googled " 2nd blessing/filling of Holy Spirit" and amongst the articles listed was "the baptism and filling of the Holy Spirit" . This article explains this Much better than I can. You can also try going to www.cmn.co.za/html/faq/baptism_hs. Have a good day :)

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

When fear controls us, the Holy Spirit can't! Fear can shut Him up, unless we give Him permission to override the fear, so that we can share Christ freely as He leads.

Why does fear of people bind our tongues?

We can become so paralyzed with what people think, or wanting to please people and to be liked and accepted, that these desires overcome the desire to share Christ with others.

How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

When we've lost our life for Christ, we no longer live, but He lives in us...then we are free from the fears and constraints which may have previously kept us bound and silent. Now we are free to live life as He planned for us.

What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

Before deliverance, I was bound with the spirit of fear, and panic attacks, which are gone now, thank God for setting me free. But even then the gift of evangelism prevailed and I didn't fear sharing my faith as He led me to do....the fears kept me from enjoying life and preoccupied with the fears, so my life was like living in jail.

• 1 month later...
Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

We are afraid that we might be persecuted like some saints of old and saints of today in diverse places. We can't imagine living a life like Paul, living through similar challenges as he endured.

The last temptation Jesus faced is the ONE temptation we face constantly: "Come down from the cross, and save yourself!" The Bible tells us not to be ashamed of Jesus Christ, and to not be ashamed of the cross, yet we are, even among our own family and co-workers. In practice, we are ashamed though.

We are to lose our life by losing our need to defend, justify, and advance ourselves; exalting ourselves, promoteing ourselves, saving ourselves, pampering ourselves, satisfying ourselves, indulging ourselves, and prefering ourselves (fr. Rylism devotional, June 11 - ESword).

In losing our life, we are, in fact, finding our true life. We find freedom from the effects of our sin nature, a freedom to choose what is right, we find peace in Christ, purpose in our life, joy in knowing we have something to look forward to now, the assurance of never being alone no matter what, etc... and the grace from Christ who understands our frailities and forgives us.

I try to witness for Christ, yet feel that I don't do enough to make a real difference. Yet, I forget that I am raising children for Him and still witness of His work in my life to my unsaved older children. I look for opportunities that He gives me and pray for boldness to loose my tongue and never be ashamed of Him. I believe that boldness in witnessing comes with maturity in the faith and the experiencing of life with Christ.

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness if our eyes are not on the Lord, but on US or the world around us. We will always have the "father of lies" whispering in our ear lies like "You're going to look stupid!" "You're not going to know the answers to the questions they ask you," "They're going to laugh at you or reject you or - (you fill in the rest)." So, what's the answer- part of the answer is to KNOW the Word of God and believe it. We have the mind of Christ. That's the truth. Fear of people binds our tongues because when we have a fear of people and we care what they think of us then we don't have much fear/faith in God. i keep going back to this: we have a fear of people because our eyes are on people and not on the Lord. Losing our life for Christ's sake gives us an abundant life because losing or life means WE no longer live... WE are crucified and Christ lives IN us. He walks through us, and talks through us. He is in control- not us. And, when He is in control, we have HIS peace, joy, love, etc. which IS the abundant life.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1:20-21)

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

The fear of rejection or of being ridiculed can easily prevent us being a bold witness for our Lord. This could perhaps be my problem? I know the object of our life is to love, worship, and serve our Lord Jesus; in other words our life is to be like the life of Christ. It is by

• 4 months later...

Fear is our human response to an out of control situation. Fear of death, fear of social recrimination, fear of the unknown and these days fear of lawsuits can hamstring our witness.

It is easy to be silent. That is why Paul recognizes that "through your prayers" and "the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ" that he will be delivered. Paul also hopes that he will "in no way be ashamed"; that is, that he will not be weak or faint hearted in declaring the gospel. Paul wants courage to speak boldly and plain so that Christ is glorified.

People these days are probably no different than in Paul's time. They mock and laugh at Christians beliefs. This is humiliating, of course, only if we allow it to be. Like Paul we must believe God is in control so that we can rejoice, be bold and let God's light shine through us for his glory.

How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness

Like Paul, we must be convinced that if we live, we get to enjoy Christ's presence as we do now. If we die, things get better yet. Knowing this can allow us to live life and live it more abundantly.

• 3 months later...

Fear robs us of the ability to continue functioning or being successful. It doesn't matter how well we have been doing, when fear comes in it prevents us from continuing in that successful action or activity. Fear is a results frrom the unknown, not knowing how a person is going to react to what we say as we witness - as opposed to continuing in faith trusting God for the outcome - we refuse to continue. . .

Losing our life for the sake of Christ and the Gospel provides us with more than we lose or feel might be lost - in fact Jesus promised us a greater blessing, with persecusions and in the world to come eternal life if we would give up this life for faithful service to Him. . .

I have no fear of witnessing. I try to take advantage of every opportunity the Spirit of God gives to witness understanding that I bear no responsibility for how or if a person accepts the witness of Christ. I am responsible to obey God's command to witness - I am not responsible for a person accepting or rejecting the Gospel. I am responsible to witness - the Holy Spirit is responsible to convict the hearts of people for sin, righteousness and judgment.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're too afraid, you rather don't want people to know that you're a christian.

Then it binds your tongue, and you don't say a thing.

Revelation tells us that the souls of people who died for christ, are already with Him.

Well, we want to be with Him but not too soon...

In my country, there's no threat of being killed.

That's only for some former muslims, and that doesn't happen a lot for this reason.

But people mock you, like you're a bad form of a retard.

It doesn't keep me from being a witness.

Sometimes, Satan keeps me from being a witness.

He gives me thoughts like, why should I testify for a God who doesn't do anything for me in this life?

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

A bold witness is one who's "faith" is in God and in the Messiah, "faith" refuses to succumb to, be intimidated by, anything the opposition to the gospel do, or think, this does not mean we must repress fear, what we must repress is allowing "fear" to govern over our "faith" for our strength is in and from God, a bold witness is an over comer, for we know, have confidence, that God will work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose.

If our tongues do not speak boldly the good things of God, than we have allowed "fear" to be our stronghold - if others insult us because of the Messiah, how blessed we are, for the Spirit of God is resting on us, we are not ashamed, and when we are tempted to give in to fear, do not lose courage, do not be ashamed, instead be that over comer who will bring glory to God by the way we bear his name.

It was at the "Cross" that "I lost my life" - It was there that I decided to offer my life as a "living sacrifice" up to God, and in return I found abundant life.

What fear is keeping your from clear witness? The content of fear differs from place to place, situation to situation; they are real "fears" that must be faced.

I have found, the more I study to show myself approved, and the more I put to practice my "faith" - the more "bold" I have become, I guess it is called "growing in Him" - at this time I find myself to be "BOLD" when I have to face the opposition to the "Truth" that lives in me, and at the same time I am relying on the Holy Spirit to lead me in what to say, and how to say it, because I do want to give glory to God, therefore my prayer is that the Holy Spirit will continue to teach and instruct me along the way, for I am reminded how important it was for Jesus to have the power of the Holy Spirit before He was confronted by the opposition.

The one "fear" I am afraid many have lost, is to "Fear God."

• 2 months later...

3a)Fear causes us to focus on our human limitations,rather than on Jesus.We are Christ’s ambassadors and he wants to use us to bring His reconciliation to others.

B)Fear is evil ones way of preventing us speaking/doing God’s work &taking hold of the salvation promises.

C)”Losing our life”dying to old self ,Making a commitment to follow Jesus, allows Christ to live in us.God’s ways are higher than ours. We live a more abundant life,free in Christ,when we speak/do things out of Jesus’ love &care for others in His strength to comfort them. God has given us opportunities.With Him we can forgive/love those that hurt us &our life even with trials has a new hope &salvation.

D)Fear that my actions do not reflect God’s love adequately.

• 7 months later...

Where live as in country and the environment can cause fear of losing one’s life making it a major hindrance in being a bold witness. That and the fear of being ostracized or intimidation are a few things that can keep us from witnessing boldly. Losing our life for Christ’s sake gives us an abundant life because He said, “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of me”, Gods’ blessings gives us an abundant life. When it comes to suffering for Jesus (because some witnesses do experience suffering), He also tells us to rejoice and be glad because our reward in heaven is great!

• 1 year later...

Philippians 1:12-30
Q). How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?
A). Fear makes us become faint hearted and not declare the Gospel
#
Q). Why does fear of people bind our tongues?
A).  Fear of people makes us worry about what to say to them.
#
Q). How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?
A). In death we will be with Christ and have everlasting life. As Paul writes to the church at Colosse, "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God" (Colossians 3:3). He has already settled the matter of death, as Christ had taught, "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it" (Matthew 16:25)."
#
Q). What fear is keeping your from clear witness?
A). Fear of not knowing what to say or how to give my testimony.

• 6 months later...

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

In order to be a bold witness for Christ one must not be fearful of the consequences of witnessing. Paul did not fear death for he wrote "...to die is gain."(1.21)

We are afraid of the consequences!

There are two aspects to the abundant life. (a) If one loses life in Christ than we live without fear of the consequences and as such have a more abundant life. We are filled with joy - our cup over flows and we live in love. ( B) If we actually lose our lives by a physical death we re guaranteed and abundant life with the Lord for eternity. Jesus Messiah had taught, "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it" (Matthew 16:25).

winstony

• 6 months later...

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

1. As God’s children we do not walk in fear.  According to 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.  2.  This is not my issue, but Moses had this issue.  Exodus 4:10-11 (KJV)  And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.  And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?  3.   Jesus stated, “John 12:24-26 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.”There is no fear when you live your life for Christ and His Father.The only fear we should have is to fear God.See 2 Timothy 1:7.

• 5 months later...

Fear has kept us from being bold by not wanting to talk about the things that are heavenly. We are concerned that we will offend somebody and therefore they will not like us anymore.

If we are “losing our life” for Christ’s sake, then we have lost the fear that was keeping us from witnessing for Jesus Christ. By speaking out we have life abundant. The fear of offending someone is the one that is holding me back from being a clear witness.

• 3 weeks later...

The fear of man (what people think about us or can do or say about us) can cause us to tone down the message of the Gospel.  However, when we have totally given ourselves over to God, we know our lives are in His hands.  If we die we are with God.  If we lose others' respect because of the Gospel, it is still well because Jesus is our Best Friend.  We can continue to be a witness for Him here on earth.  If Jesus is our Lord, the opinions and actions of others cannot defeat us!  Our main reason for living is to serve Him and give Him glory.  My struggle is wanting respect and prestige in temporary things like a career instead of serving where God wants me.  I am learning to be content where God has placed me and what He has called me to do.

• 6 months later...

Fear is a powerful emotion.  Praying to God for strength is more powerful.  God hears prayers and answers.  Sometimes not right away, but he answers.  We are afraid of what our friends and neighbors will say about us and do to us.  We often are embarrassed. God walks with us if we ask him to. Loosing our life here is the earthly life we live for the christian life we walk with God.  This earthly life is full of sin and things that do not please our heavenly father.  I learned a long time ago and it took some time for me to figure it out the God must come first.  Earthly things will pass away.  Heavenly things or things that come from God are the good things in life.  They are the things that will last and make you truly happy. 

• 8 months later...

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness.  Fear will make us think more about ourselves and what people will think about us. 

Fear will make us shy away from speaking the truth, as we will fear losing the company of our loved ones.  The fear of loosing our close relationships, fear of offending others , fear of being jeered at, all stops us from being a bold witness of Jesus.

Losing our life for Christ means, I am no longer owner of my life but I make Jesus Christ the Lord of my life.  When I die to my self, I unconditionally surrender my life in the hands of Jesus.  When we do this we give access to the Holy Spirit to control our lives and Jesus reigns in our lives, and the life which we live in Jesus is abundant life.

The fear of loosing loved ones, fear of rejection and being laughed at sometimes keeps me from being a clear witness.

(1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping you from clear witness?

1.  Fear can keep us from being a bold witness by causing us to be ashamed and not speak the gospel.

2.  Fear of people bind our tongues because we are more concerned of what they think about us than what God's word say. 

3.  Losing our life for Christ's sake gives us an abundant life because we will no longer have to go thru trials and tribulations of the world. 

Our eyes are not on Him.  We count our lives dear to us. Imagine witnessing with your eyes on yourself......

Our fear keeps us from believing we have Christ's power available to us.  Again, eyes on self.

When we surrender our wills to Him each day, He is able to do great things through us--bringing Him the glory!

Not fear--laziness...I have to ask myself, do you love these people who are heading to hell enough to share with them Christ's wonderful gift of salvation?   Then I tell myself, this is the eternal fruit we can strive for.

Shalom Saints by FAITH in Messiah.

1. Fear keeps one stagnant and it im-mobilizes one to speak and act. It is a device that the enemy uses to silence us to be a witness of the evangel. We must say to him, Get the behind me Satan for thou art an offense to me for thou savorest not the things of Yahweh (God) but those things that be of men." Matt. 16:23

We have to use the Word of Yahweh like Yahshua (Jesus) did in the desert against Satan.

2. Fear binds the tongue because the enemy does not want people saved. Satan uses FEAR so that we do not proclaim the evangel. People fear what people think about them, many want to be accepted and liked. What people say about you leaves an impact on one's life in leaving them feel, worthless, inadequate, not liked etc. Our flesh cries out to be accepted by the world.

Many think the majority rules, but if you notice Yahshua had only 12 follow him, so in reality it is the minority that rules. Mark 8:36-37 "For whosoever shall save his life shall lose it, but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the evangel the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul."

Losing our life for Messiah gives us abundance. The things of this world world will pass away, everything we own will rust and rot. This world will roll up like a scroll. It will not be worth anything,it will vanish.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures

upon the earth where moth and rust doth corrupt and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through, nor steal: for where your treasure is there will your heart be also."Matt.

6:19,20 Is. 34:4, Rev. 6:14, Rev. 21:1,2.

That is where I am going to be in the new heaven and new earth with my Sovereign YAHWEH and receive my inheritance in being a daughter of the King for all eternity.

4. What fear is preventing me from being a witness? I don't think there is any at the present. I do have a lady who is very argumentative strong-willed in her belief. When I say something's its never right. As Yahshua stayed silent many times Yah has silenced me. I wait on Him to fill my mouth with loving kindness before I speak. HalleluYah

Shalom Saints...

FAITH

Shalom Saints by FAITH in Messiah.

1. Fear keeps one stagnant and it im-mobilizes one to speak and act. It is a device that the enemy uses to silence us to be a witness of the evangel. We must say to him, Get the behind me Satan for thou art an offense to me for thou savorest not the things of Yahweh (God) but those things that be of men." Matt. 16:23

We have to use the Word of Yahweh like Yahshua (Jesus) did in the desert against Satan.

2. Fear binds the tongue because the enemy does not want people saved. Satan uses FEAR so that we do not proclaim the evangel. People fear what people think about them, many want to be accepted and liked. What people say about you leaves an impact on one's life in leaving them feel, worthless, inadequate, not liked etc. Our flesh cries out to be accepted by the world.

Many think the majority rules, but if you notice Yahshua had only 12 follow him, so in reality it is the minority that rules. Mark 8:36-37 "For whosoever shall save his life shall lose it, but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the evangel the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul."

Losing our life for Messiah gives us abundance. The things of this world world will pass away, everything we own will rust and rot. This world will roll up like a scroll. It will not be worth anything,it will vanish.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures

upon the earth where moth and rust doth corrupt and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through, nor steal: for where your treasure is there will your heart be also."Matt.

6:19,20 Is. 34:4, Rev. 6:14, Rev. 21:1,2.

That is where I am going to be in the new heaven and new earth with my Sovereign YAHWEH and receive my inheritance in being a daughter of the King for all eternity.

4. What fear is preventing me from being a witness? I don't think there is any at the present. I do have a lady who is very argumentative strong-willed in her belief. When I say something's its never right. As Yahshua stayed silent many times Yah has silenced me. I wait on Him to fill my mouth with loving kindness before I speak. HalleluYah

Shalom Saints...

FAITH