JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Immediately in Christ's Presence

Q4. (1:23) 

What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death? 

How does this comfort you? 

How does this energize you?

This comforts me in that there is now no fear of the future, knowing He is in control, and on dying, I will immediately be with Him.

This energizes me to share the Gospel and help all to realize the great free gift of salvation and eternal life awaits all who repent and put their trust in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death? How does this comfort you? How does this energize you?

Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teaches us that the state of a Christian after death is to be immediately in the presence of Christ.

This comforts me because what ever the sufferings we experience in life, we will be delivered into Christ presence.

This energizes me because this life is full of hardships, diseases and other things we encounter for witnessing for Christ. Knowing what ever may come, it is all worthless for the gain of Christ.     

Q4. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death? How does this comfort you? How does this energize you?

Philippians teaches us that our Paul purpose for living when he serve others. We also need a purpose for living that goes beyond providing for our own physical needs. Whom we can serve or help and our purpose for living? 2 Corinthians 5:6-8,Paul was not afraid to die because he was confident of spending eternity with Christ. Of course, facing the unknown may cause us anxiety, and leaving loved ones hurts deeply, but if we believe in Jesus Christ, we can share Paul’s hope and confidence of eternal life with Christ.

This energize me to work for Christ and not fear to advance the gospel

What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death?

How does this comfort you? TWO LEVELS TO WIN, EITHER WAY, FOR CHRIST WE LIVE AND FOR CHRIST WE DIE.

Paul assures us in Philippians 1:23 that "to depart and be with Christ ... is better by far" than life in this body.  WORKS FOR ME.

"To live is Christ" and "to die is gain" says to me that there is no way that I lose. I win--whatever happens. When my father died in 2014, I experienced death in a close family member for the first time. His last words were, "I am going to be with the Lord." Those words of faith and love sustain me and comfort me when I feel that sense of loss that comes over me from time to time. Knowing that my dad is in a much better place, experiencing the greatest of joys--being in the presence of Jesus--is so much better than his last few months on this earth. 

Realizing that this is also something that I can anticipate with great joy, I can be free to tell others about how I experience the love of God and how that enables me to keep on keepin' on, even as I watch my husband's health deteriorate and my own body become limited in its ability to move around and do the physical work that it once was able to do. "It's all good" is the phrase that comes to mind when I read these passages.

"To live is Christ" and "to die is gain" says to me that there is no way that I lose. I win--whatever happens. When my father died in 2014, I experienced death in a close family member for the first time. His last words were, "I am going to be with the Lord." Those words of faith and love sustain me and comfort me when I feel that sense of loss that comes over me from time to time. Knowing that my dad is in a much better place, experiencing the greatest of joys--being in the presence of Jesus--is so much better than his last few months on this earth. 

Realizing that this is also something that I can anticipate with great joy, I can be free to tell others about how I experience the love of God and how that enables me to keep on keepin' on, even as I watch my husband's health deteriorate and my own body become limited in its ability to move around and do the physical work that it once was able to do. "It's all good" is the phrase that comes to mind when I read these passages.

To depart from this life and from the body I.e. to physically die , would be to " be with Christ" and to be in Christs immediate presence

This definitely comforts me ... When I was Born Again I believed that Christ died for me , forgave my sins and made me one with Him made me Righteous and I was saved from Condmnation and received Salvation , I.e. Received Eternal Life , was made an adopted child of God , was heir of all the spiritual riches in heaven was co- heirs with Christ and was going to live with Him forever and ever

Knowing this I fear nothing. I know I cannot lose my Salvation at any point especially when I obey His commands and have faith and trust in Him so the Holy Spirit gives me the strength to live one day at a time with great expectations to live a life I am called to by the Lord. He has a purpose for each ones life and we work to please Him and fulfil our God Given purpose here on earth. Amen

The full statement of Paul is:

Php 1:22  But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

Php 1:23  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Php 1:24  Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Php 1:25  And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;

Paul would desire to accept death so he could be with the Lord, but he chose to stay in the world for the benefit of those who believed in Christ who still needed his spiritual support. To die in Christ, or die for the faith does not mean one will be with God in heaven after death.

The Word of God never contradicts to itself or causes confusion to the faithfuls of God.  It is men who introduce their own reasoning and establish new doctrines to persuade ignorant believers and lead them away from the truth of God.

To understand the true state of man after death, one must read the Bible and pray that the Holy Spirit open him/her to the correct understanding of the scripture.  We must not let ourselves be swayed to left or right by the interpretation of the preachers without referring to the scriptures of the Bible.

Some preachers also says that the old covenant has been abolished.  But God would not declare a perpetual covenant if it could be abolished later.  Did Christ Jesus declare any old covenants abolished?  Certainly not, but many Christian Churches have declared God’s old covenants are now abolished, so they can lead the multitude of people away from God’s ordinance.

In regards of death we can find the following statement in the Bible:

The Bible compares death to sleep and the spirit ceases all activities:

Ecc 9:5  For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecc 9:6  Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Ecc 12:7  Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Psa 13:3  Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

Psa 146:4  His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Joh 11:11  These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Joh 11:12  Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.

Joh 11:13  Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

Act 2:34  For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

God will reveal himself to the dead upon His appointed time (or the day of judgement) that they will be resurrected:

1Ti 6:14  That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1Ti 6:15  Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

1Ti 6:16  Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

1Th 4:16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Co 15:50  Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Co 15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Co 15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Co 15:53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1Co 15:54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1Co 15:55  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1Co 15:56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

1Co 15:57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Joh 5:26  For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Joh 5:27  And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Joh 5:28  Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

Joh 5:29  And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Therefore the preachers who inspire believers that some will go to purgatory, others go to heaven for their good work, or be thrown into hell because of their deadly sins; they are teaching the doctrine of eastern pagan religions.  By doing so, they have nullify the sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin of the Lamb of God, and they also void the last judgement day of the world.

Heb 9:27  And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Heb 9:28  So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Christians should read the Bible and be taught by the Holy Spirit, instead of listening to preachers who sell their own doctrines giving them false hope of heaven, or fear of hell, or more time for repentance after death.

Having clear understanding of the Word of God, Christian will build for themselves the perfect confidence in the promise of salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Thus the purpose of their life is well defined, and with the holy Spirit’s guidance their faith cannot be swayed by false teachers of the world.

Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death? How does this comfort you? How does this energize you?

We will be with Christ immediately after death

This encourages me that death is not the end but a beginning of life with Christ.

Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach that immediately after death Christians are in the immediate presence of the Lord. This gives me great comfort because I know that when my eyes close here on earth and I am no longer in this body I will be in the presence of God Himself.  This indeed, gives me strength and encourages me to work today for the cause of Christ.

Q4. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach 

about the state of Christians immediately after death? How does 

this comfort you? How does this energize you?

1.  Christians will be with Christ after they depart.When we are

absent from the body, we will be present with the Lord.

1.  It makes me feel very good to know that I will be with he Lord.
  1.  It makes me want to be very, very sure that I am doing the right

things I need to do to go back with the Lord through death or

resurection.  

Q4. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death?

According to the text, we will immediately goes and see our God and be in His presence. This is so re-assuring and knowing this gives me comfort and assurance.

As a Christian who sometimes feel afraid of dying, it gives me re-assurance that God is waiting for me when He will call me home.  Faithfully, this is a very good situation for those who are still not sure if they are going to heaven or not.

I feel great knowing and believing that my time here on earth is not wasted, but when we faithfully believe in Jesus Christ, He assures us to rest easy while awaiting our time when He will calls us in His own timing.  Faith and works goes hand in hand, but we must believe in order to secure our salvation through Jesus Christ.

Q4. (1:23) What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death?

According to the text, we will immediately goes and see our God and be in His presence. This is so re-assuring and knowing this gives me comfort and assurance.

As a Christian who sometimes feel afraid of dying, it gives me re-assurance that God is waiting for me when He will call me home.  Faithfully, this is a very good situation for those who are still not sure if they are going to heaven or not.

I feel great knowing and believing that my time here on earth is not wasted, but when we faithfully believe in Jesus Christ, He assures us to rest easy while awaiting our time when He will calls us in His own timing.  Faith and works goes hand in hand, but we must believe in order to secure our salvation through Jesus Christ.

What do Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 teach about the state of Christians immediately after death?

Answer: It  teaches us that we as Christian after God took back our borrowed life...in a wink of an eye we will see Him face to face and will be with Him.

Answer: It will be the most awaited moment for christian like us to be with God in a matter of second.

Answer: This should give us more motivation and energy to proclaim the gospel and the great commission.

When I die I will be with the Lord, in His very Presence. It takes away the fear of death. Living in this body is a great gift and I do not disparage it, but nothing in this world could compare with seeing the very face of Jesus, hearing Him speak and knowing that everything is right between us because He loved me enough to die for me.

It also makes me want to give that assurance to loved ones and others.

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 11:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

That as soon as we die we are at home with our Lord.

I find peace in knowing I will go start home.

It energizes me to tell people to have faith in Jesus, follow Jesus.

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 8:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

they both teach the concept to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  When a believer passes away he/she is immediately in the presence of  Jesus.

To be with Jesus with no sin nature to entangle me gives me great comfort.  I'm not sure how it energizes me.  it certainly removes fear of death.  It also helps me to want to help others to know and understand this truth.

• 4 years later...

I’ve never been afraid of what happens after death – whatever happens, happens! It’s not worth arguing over the various interpretations of the end. Eventually, we'll be with Him whether immediately or delayed. There’s a certainty about our eventual reunion with God that’s like a foundation or grounding for life. It’s a hidden knowledge, and like a foundation not something I see or think about.

It neither comforts me nor energizes me. I fear dying before I got a chance to live. I want a big life before my certain death. I'm focused on now.

• 1 month later...

I was sad and lonely but then Christ gave me a job to do for His kingdom.  Oh, how it has blessed me. Now, I am always eager to live by faith, because I know it pleases God.  It gives me confidence. The drive to fellowship with the brethren and helping others understand that Christ is God seems to have become the air I breathe. So, to live in my body is for Christ and the moment I die in this body, I will be in the presence of the Lord.  Glory to God!