JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jesus the Human Being

Q3. (2:7-8) Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one? What do these verses teach? What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Philippians 2:7-8, jesus was fully human and fully God. He has not pretending only God could heal sickness, raise the dead and rebuke demons from possessed people. Even the demons admitted he was the Son of the Most High God.

Verses 7-8 teach that Jesus made himself nothing (not being equal to God) taking on the nature of a servant, was made in human likeness and in the appearance of a man.

If Jesus was not a human then his suffering and death was for nothing. Only God could satisfy the just sacrifice that would be accepted for the sins of man.     

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (2:7-8) Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one? What do these verses teach? What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Anyone who reads the Scriptures both OT and NT can realise that Jesus was really a human being.. He was born like a human baby, brought up by earthly parents, walked the earth , taught in the synagogues and ate and drank and touched other human beings. He felt thirst, hunger , sorrow , pain and tiredness just like any human being. He came to earth voluntarily wanting to fulfill the plan that God the Father had for the redemption of Humanity

These verses teach us that Jesus was the perfect man and He strove to teach us how to live.... We are a depraved humanity full of evil and selfishness .Jesus came to teach us the Kingdom of God wherein there is only Peace Joy and Righteousness. We are far from any of these in our lives. Humanity has been under the control of the Prince of this world ...Satan, but Jesus came to give us power to overcome this world and live victorious lives through Christ who conquered the Death we were supposed to suffer . Those who believe in Christ will have no Condemnation, but have Eternal Life

It makes a big difference if Christ was not human. We , Evil as we are , would have all had only one destination that is hell, Lakefire and torture forever and ever I.e. Damnation.. Being Perfect Christ could take all our sin and exchange it for His Righteousness and give us Salvation... A Life with Him in Heaven forever and ever ....a living hope to look forward to ... Only a Man could achieve this as God cannot die!!!!

Yes, Jesus was totally human, by birth and in appearance, as far as we understand it from the Word. He must have looked as a human, took on human form, because even the Pharisees and Scribes didn't recognize Him as a God, so He was definitely a human, with emotions (He wept) Living with Jesus for 3 1/2 years the Apostles recognized Him as the Son of God.

He became a slave and obedient even to result in His death on the Cross.

Q3. (2:7-8) 

Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one? 

What do these verses teach? 

What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Jesus Christ came to earth as a human being while still being totally Divine. 

He was still all all-knowing and all-powerful – He had to be to perform all the miracles He did. 

He was still 100% God. He still had all the attributes of God while He was in the world; only I think His glory was concealed in His body of human flesh. 

His glory was there, but only hidden to shine on occasions such as on the Mount of Transfiguration.

He had to be human - blood had to be spilt for the redemption of sin.

We know from Scripture that God demanded the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins. 

Animal sacrifices were only a temporary measure, what was required was Jesus Christ, the perfect Lamb of God, who would take away the past, present, and future sins of all who put their trust in Him. 

For this to happen, the precious blood of Christ had to be shed. 

This question is based on your faith testimony.  If you claim you are a true Christian and really believe in Jesus Christ deity, than you would know that Jesus Christ became human as indicated in the Christmas story.  I myself claim and testify that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior and Lord and truelly believed that Jesus Christ became human according to scriptures.  By believing that Jesus came as human and died for our sins is the difference between a believing Christian or someone claiming to be a Christian but never believing in Jesus Christ. Praise be to God in the highest.

Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one? What do these verses teach? What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Jesus was 100% man & 100% God.  What I like most about this is that he knows our temptations, he knows our pain, he knows our hurts and he endured them all to provide us a fleshly example of how to overcome.  It makes all the difference that he became human b/c their had to be an atonement for sin and bulls, goats, and doves blood would not do.  ONLY THE BLOOD OF OUR LORD & SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!

Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one? What do these verses teach? What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Jesus was 100% man & 100% God.  What I like most about this is that he knows our temptations, he knows our pain, he knows our hurts and he endured them all to provide us a fleshly example of how to overcome.  It makes all the difference that he became human b/c their had to be an atonement for sin and bulls, goats, and doves blood would not do.  ONLY THE BLOOD OF OUR LORD & SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!

The passage holds many parallels to the prophecy of the suffering servant Jesus in Isaiah 53.  It was about the nature and work of Christ. Several key characteristics of Jesus Christ, however, are praised in the Bible: (1) Christ has always existed with God; (2) Christ is equal to God because he is God. (3) Though Christ is God, he became a man in order to fulfill God’s plan of salvation for all people;

(4) Christ did not just have the appearance of being a man—he actually became human to identify with our sins;

(5) Christ voluntarily laid aside his divine rights and privileges out of love for his Father;

(6) Christ died on the cross for our sins so we wouldn’t have to face eternal death;

(7) God glorified Christ because of his obedience;

(8) God raised Christ to his original position at the Father’s right hand, where he will reign forever as our Lord and Judge. How can we do anything less than praise Christ as our Lord and dedicate ourselves to his service!

"The Word became flesh and dwelt among us." This teaches that he was human. When He was hanging on the cross dying He said,"I thirst," and they gave Him a drink. Very human.

If He did not come to us as a fully human being, then His death on the cross would not be a full atonement for our sins. He is our substitute.

Q3. (2:7-8) Was Jesus really a human being or only pretending to be one?

Answer: Definitely the Lord Jesus Christ became human when He was here in this world.

What do these verses teach?

Answer: These verses teach us how humble is our God and that we as His creation must do the same like what He did.

What difference does it really make whether or not Jesus was human?

Answer: If Jesus was not really human, his death and crucifixion will be in vain because being God during His suffering, he can easily make the pain bearable for Him.

• 9 months later...
On 3/21/2005 at 1:56 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes Jesus was very human..              The verses teach us all that Jesus went through as a human, pain, sadness, loneliness, hunger, happiness.

It makes a difference whether or not Jesus was human..Jesus had to be human to save us..to suffer die and to rise, if he wasn't we wouldn't be saved.

• 5 years later...

The question is whether He was simultaneously man and God, or sequentially God than man than God (again). In other words, did He give up his divinity when on earth, or did He retain it in some manner.

I have no answer to this.

The idea that God needed to be a human to understand humanity seems a bit stretched. It's more likely that He became human so we could understand Him. Honestly, since God is all-knowing and can make Himself accessible to us, I'm not sure that his form makes a difference.

The fact that God became human, though, and actually taught us as a human, makes it far easier for us to understand and submit to Him. Having said this, when God needed to reach us prior to Jesus, He did. God spoke to Moses to give his revelation in the law, as well as numerous prophets and other people, so I don't believe that God "needed" to be human for us to hear from Him.

If he wants us to know Him, He'll teach us or reveal Himself. Even now. The Christ event, then, has less to do with revelation as with salvation. God's revelation of Himself as human is only a small part of salvation. Jews and Christians disagree over the centrality/truthfulness of Jesus in His revelation: Jews, of course, believe that God's revelation prior to Jesus was sufficient. 

Though I know the creedal and traditional answers, I don't want to give them. I want to think outside the box, here, to question fundamentals by asking myself, "Now, why, again, did Jesus come in human form???"