JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

I'm not sure I understand what Pastor Ralph means by "preference." I think He wants us to compare the service to God of a slave with the service of a free person.

From I Corinthians: Were you a slave when you were called? Do not let it concern you -- but if you can gain your freedom, take the opportunity. For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord’s freedman. Conversely, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ’s slave.…

God calls. We respond. We CHOOSE to respond and then subject ourselves to Him. Paul uses the metaphor of slavery to describe the degree to which we should subject ourselves to Him. I do not believe Paul intends the idea that slaves serve better, or more loyally, than those who are free.

The fact that we have a choice, or a preference, makes our love of Him sweeter. To be able to choose God v. the allurements of the world is a form of self-sacrifice and love He surely values.

The person who obeys is the one who had an alternative or option to disobey, not a slave who does not have that choice.

In contrast, the obedience of a slave is like the obedience of a dog -- reflexive and not heart-felt.

"to obey is better than sacrifice ..."

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Serving as a Slave
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philippians 2:22 refers to Timothy's service to Paul as a "son with a father" rather than merely as a "slave."

Leaders who serve Jesus with a "slave" mentality demonstrate a commitment to humility, selflessness, and a readiness to serve in all circumstances, setting a positive example for others in the faith community. They prioritize the well-being of others and are more likely to inspire and build stronger, more unified congregations.

Leaders who serve Jesus out of preference, on the other hand, may imply a conditional or self-centered approach. It suggests that one serves when it aligns with their personal choices and desires, but one may not be as willing to serve in challenging or uncomfortable circumstances. This kind of service might lack the same level of commitment and selflessness that serving as a "slave" embodies.