JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEN I GOT SAVED SEVEN YEARS AGO, I FELL IN LOVE WITH A PERSON . JESUS BECAME LORD OF MY LIFE AND SO TODAY I SERVE HIM AS A BONDSERVANT WOULD; WITH MY WHOLE HEART. I DO NOT WAIVER BETWEEN SERVING HIM OR IDOLS.I'M SOLD OUT TO JESUS CHRIST ; HE'S MY ALL IN ALL.I THINK WHEN PEOPLE SERVE HIM AS A PREFERENCE, THEN THEY SERVE HIM WHEN IT'S CONVENIENT TO THEM; WHENEVER THEY CHOOSE TO INSTEAD OF LIVING TO PLEASE HIM.

WHEN I SERVE HIM WITH ALL MY HEART, THE QUALITY OF MY SERVICE UNTO THE LORD IS EXCELLENCE AND NOT MEDIOCRE BECAUSE I'M COMMITTED FOR LIFE AND I DESIRE TO DO MY BEST IN ALL AREAS TO PLEASE HIM.OTHERS WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THE DEEP COMMITMENT AND IT CAN BE A GREAT WITNESS TO THEM.

LEADERS WHO SERVE OUT OF PREFERENCE TIRE EASILY AND MOVE ON WHEN THINGS ARENT GOING THEIR WAY.THEY WANT PEOPLE TO PLEASE THEM AND PRAISE THEM INSTEAD OF GOD....GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...

Serving the Lord as His slave is acknowledging that I have been bought with a price and am not my own. I am at His beck and call and every good thing that I do is to His glory. Serving with preference would tend one toward vain glory, putting themselves before the Lord.

When I serve the Lord as a free slave I do so joyously, knowing that He will lift me up and that in doing so, I have a great reward at the end of this life. Should I dare serve for preference sake I may very well be unhappy in my service, never able to satisfy the **** of my flesh, possibly castaway entirely. Even more importantly, there is no way that I can be a witness to Jesus Christ by serving for myself. The world sees you by the image that you project.

• 7 months later...
Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Jesus asks us if we want to get well so it must be the up to each individual's choice to study the Word. After you accept the true Living God then there is a deep desire to serve him by helping others. This is caused by the love of God and we the willing to submit and call ourselves as his slave, but the church also needing humbleness and submission. This only worked when we are meek but many churches have leaders that are not meek.

• 1 month later...

I have been reading everyone elses replies and find good in both approaches.

However , I think that serving Jesus because I love Him and because He has done so much for me is more the way I see it. (preference) When I think of how much He loves me and all that He has done , all I want to do is to serve Him and am committed to doing that till I die (and after).

Serving Him as a slave to me has a negative feel more than a positive one.

Slaves did not serve out of gratitude for all the master had done for them, most times they hated or at least disliked their masters.

True, you have no other choice and that is your one focus . But do you do it because you want to or because you have to.

As it says in Galations 4:31 - " We are not children of the slave woman but of the free woman."

I would want my leader to serve out of preference because he so loves his God and wants to serve Him.

I think in some ways I grew up with having leaders that served God as "slaves" , because they had to follow so many rules and had to keep up an image.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

To serve Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving Him as a preference is to say that I am given to serving Him completely, total service.

What does it say about the quality of our service?

In serving Jesus as a "slave," the quality of our service must be done in perfect humility. We see our service as worship to our God.

Of our commitment?

Our commitment in service to God must be flawless. We serve because we love Him and want to honor him in our serving.

What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Leaders who serve out of preference will soon find it a burden, their heart will not be in what they are doing and eventually they will find another preference.

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

cuz, we would opt out by the next one to bring sounds good theology to us. there is no loyalty there.i like what alister begg said" we build stages for entertainers and pulpits for preachers. our service needs to be dedicated to one king, and allow him to deploy us where he likes.

• 1 month later...

Serving Jesus willingly as "a slave" as opposed to serving him as a perference is serving Him with total obediance vice serving Him if I feel like it or not on any given day or at any given moment.

For me, to serve Jesus willingly as a slave is a honor vice being a bother or chore. Accordingly, I try to give my best in all that I do for Him out of love for Him.

• 6 months later...

My ice cream preference is chocolate peanut butter but I will eat other kinds. Being a slave to Chirst means we wouldn't make any other choice.

When we are slaves to Christ we walk with him all the time, not just on Sunday. Then when we follow our heart with actions of a born again Christian we show our commitment to him.

Leaders who serve for any other reason other than a love for Jesus miss the mark and may hamper others while they are doing it.

I must admit that I have a tough time with this question about slavery. Jesus also called us friend, brother or sister, and disciple. We talk about our life with him as being on a journey -- walking in step with the Spirit -- but we also talk about strict obedience -- be Holy because the Lord your God is Holy. And Jesus wanted us to tie ourselves to him in a yoke, but he said that the burden would be light and load would be easy. And then he said that he came to bring a sword pitting father against son and mother against daughter. Is that so easy? There are many ways to look at our relationship with Christ and I think that when we think of it only in the terms of slavery, then we lose out on the other perspectives, as well.

However, in terms of preference vs. slavery, I think it is foolish to say to others that we are friends, family, disciples, or bondslaves of Christ if we are wanting any of this on our own terms. He did not ask us to give us a portion of his life, but to give all of it, including the roots, branches, leaves, and fruit. This means that if we are called upon to sit in the dirt with beggars, then we shouldn't be preferring to eat with princes in castles. On the other hand, if we go about sitting in dirt with peasants when in fact Jesus had different plans for us, then we are no less being disobedient to him and to his call in our lives.

So the key is to understand what it takes to be wholly devoted to him in such as way as to understand what he wants from each of us. And then, when we know what he wants, to be committed to living out that thing, whatever it is, to the best of our ability.

• 3 months later...

You do things that you may not feel like doing but that you know to do if you serve Jesus as a slave. If you don't do what you know is right, you have sinned. These are the ones who earlier in this lesson were called saints of God. To do other wise is to serve yourself.

• 3 months later...

When we serve God as "slave" we are obeying His every will , we obey His teaching acknowledging that He is more worthy and more desirable than anything else. If one serve as a preference it can get to the point that they perfer their own will rather than Jesus Christ, the will of God. And selfish and lacking consideration for others.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

A slave knows who is the master, and serves as a submitted vocation, not as a choice to dabble with when he/she finds it convenient

What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment?

The commitment is total, and the quality is whole hearted devotion to my master with pure motives, rather that for recognition or for selfish gain, etc.

The service is luke warm, ususally carried out in their flesh, rather than through the power of the Holy Spirit, and is lacking in zeal and the love for the Lord that shines through the service of a true servant of Christ.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (2:22)

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

What does it say about the quality of our service?

Of our commitment?

What a privilege to serve our Lord Jesus in any capacity possible. We are also to do it gladly and at the best of our ability. When I think of how Jesus suffered and was humiliated on my behalf, I honestly feel that to serve Him is the least I can do. I don

• 7 months later...

As a slave we understand, or better we should understand that we belong to Him, that He is sovereign and our service to Him is without question and without end. . .

Service out of preference affords us the opportunity to cease or end our service. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

A slave has to serve - he has no choice and he can't quit.

Serving as a preverence - then you chose the nicest thing to do and you can quit.

This doesn't say anything about quality.

A slave will give his best because he doesn't want to be beaten.

Or he secretly tries some sabotage.

An employee only gives his best when he really loves his job.

Many people only work when the boss sees them.

But the free man will have emotional commitment.

And the slave will have the unbreakable commitment.

We have to love Jesus so much that we serve Him like if we had no other choice.

Jesus told us that we can only serve one master - Him or the mammon.

If we don't serve Jesus, we will be punished by the second death.

Those leaders are a leader because they failed the fireman exam or in order to get all tithes.

That's wrong.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q3. (2:22) what is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

I am not sure if I understand the question? --- For it is because of my "preference" that I choose to serve the Lord.

What does it say about the quality of our service and of our commitment?

The quality of our service should be that of a servant, who no matter what the servant is called to do, will do it with a heart that wants to please the Lord, for it is the Lords reward that is "preferred" over that of mans accolades.

• 9 months later...

The importance of serving Jesus is an honor and privilege to serve and obey Him. He did a remarkable thing for us that we cannot do enough to repay, and to serve Him can be spiritually rewarding. Not only is He our model for servitude but the value of our service and commitment should not make us feel like what we do for Jesus is a chore. Leaders who serve out of preference serve themselves for their own reasons, which do not benefit the church. Jesus has very high standards that not all can meet without His help.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 2:22
Q). What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?
A). The difference is in serving Him willingly rather than as an obligation
#
Q). What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment?
A). A lot has to do with the quality of our love for Jesus. It is a humble privilege, to serve the Lord Jesus Christ willingly is a high honor.
#
Q). What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?
A). They serve out of self-seeking motives.

• 5 months later...

The concept of slave is somewhat different today for many people than what it was in the first century. The Greek used by Paul in verse 22 is douleuo which means to act or conduct oneself as one in total service to another. (notes) The slave had no life, time or space of their own. Their life was their master's, literally. The slave could be beaten, molested or murdered without any legal consequences to the master. Thus Paul sees that he and Timothy who are both slaves to Jesus Messiah are than in humble service to their master-Jesus. To Paul, and no doubt to Timothy, it was an honor and a privilege to thus serve the Lord. Our own age is different, people today wish to do their own thing regardless of the pain and suffering it can cause. We drink our cheap coffee and the coffee farmer works in poverty. We want to serve God in a preference mode rather than in a slave mode because than we feel that we can do as we want. Self is more important than Christ.

The concept of slave is somewhat different today for many people than what it was in the first century. The Greek used by Paul in verse 22 is douleuo which means to act or conduct oneself as one in total service to another. (notes) The slave had no life, time or space of their own. Their life was their master's, literally. The slave could be beaten, molested or murdered without any legal consequences to the master. Thus Paul sees that he and Timothy who are both slaves to Jesus Messiah are than in humble service to their master-Jesus. To Paul, and no doubt to Timothy, it was an honor and a privilege to thus serve the Lord. Our own age is different, people today wish to do their own thing regardless of the pain and suffering it can cause. We drink our cheap coffee and the coffee farmer works in poverty. We want to serve God in a preference mode rather than in a slave mode because than we feel that we can do as we want. Self is more important than Christ.