JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Forgetting What Lies Behind

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ? 

Forgiving myself is the hardest thing that I ever do.  Eventhough I think that I forgive myself, but sometimes when I thought about it, it seems that I did not.  When we do bad things in the past, over time, it crawls upto us and get caught in our net of thoughts and that kind of moved us away from getting to know our Christ Jesus fully.

Please pray for me.  There is so much forgiving I need to do for myself.  Thank you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?   

The past can get in the way of our quest to know Christ when we remain in the company of others who themselves are reaching for things other than seeking to know Christ more.  You begin to be influenced by their lack of spirituality for the status quo or seeking the material.  To focus more on Christ today nd tomorrow I would need to "forget" that it's not about me or those around me; but rather it's all about Him.  I need to forgive myself and move into the realm of seeking Him more.       

Though Paul was a spiritual giant in the eyes of the Philippian saints, he wanted them to know that he had not yet attained the goals stated. He was still actively pressing on toward them. He had by no means reached the final stage of his sanctification.

Paul's salvation experience had taken place about 30 years before he wrote to the Philippians. He had won many spiritual battles in that time. He had grown much in those years, but he candidly confessed he had not obtained all this, nor was he yet made perfect (v. 12). He still had more spiritual heights to climb. This testimony of the apostle reminded the saints at Philippians - and it serves to remind me today that there must never be a stalemate in my spiritual growth or a plateau beyond which I cannot climb.

I need to forgive myself and continue to persevere.

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2005 at 1:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?---It keeps us from looking forward, to achieve our goal. Depression set's in and stops us.

What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?--Hurts,regrets and pain.

Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?----I need to forgive myself and move on staying focused on Jesus. 

• 5 years later...

Christianity is a remarkably forward-looking, almost futuristic religion. I am not to remember the past but rather strive for the mark, for the future. Life's a short race with a finish line. Even though I cannot see the finish line or even know where/when it is, my next step is illuminated seconds before I take it. I must always run toward the rising sun.

I think, as a rule, that all remembering hinders my relationship with Him -- good or bad, positive or painful, sweet or sour. I am not to look back. Never to think of the past. Always to press forward. For this reason, I have removed all photographs, diplomas, etc. and have packed them away. This may sound extreme, but I need to concentrate on becoming, not being.

For me, it is difficult not to recall the past because the past was so much better than the present. I must say that I hate the place I am in life. I remind myself that Jesus could change my circumstances in an instant if He so chose, but has not chosen to do so, so this must be His will for me as there are no moral avenues of escape. My buzzword is "persevere.” Just keep going.

Sometimes God shuts all doors ... until one opens.