JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Forgetting What Lies Behind

You know I ask myself that question alot! I have gotten a "word " from God on several occasions, to let go of the past. I think it keeps us looking back instead of looking forward, and we as christians need toi be moving forward always! I need to forget that I once was a sinner, hell bent on destruction! Now I am God's child and He has a plan and a purpose for me! I need to realize that it isn't about me at all, it's about Jesus!!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE PAST CAN GET IN YOUR WAY OF OUR QUEST TO KNOW CHRIST,BECAUSE IT CAN WEIGH YOU DOWN.HINDER YOUR MOVE AND RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST JESUS.ITS LIKE TRYING TO RUN THE RACE WITH A FULL BACK-PACK ON YOUR SHOULDERS.YOU KEEP FILLING IT UP TO WHERE YOU ARE SO HEAVY YOU CAN'T MOVE.IT CAN CAUSE YOU TO BE DEPRESSED,SICK IN BODY,EVEN GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR PRAYER TIME.

GOD DOES NOT WANT US TO LIVE LIKE THAT.THE RACE IS ON"EMPTY THE BACK-PACK,EMPTY IT ALL OUT .THROW IT AWAY,ITS NOTHING BUT "DUNG".WE HAVE A SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST,AND THROUGH HIM OUR SINS ARE FORGIVEN.AS WE REPENT OF OUR SINS,KNOWING WE ARE FORGIVEN,WE CAN MOVE FORWARD,AND GROW IN CHRIST JESUS,BY THE GRACE AND MERCY OF GOD."EMPTY THAT BACK-PACK !!!! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I BELIEVE THE PAST IS A GREAT HINDRANCE IN OUR QUEST TO KNOW CHRIST IF WE DONT LET IT GO.IF WE DONT GIVE THE PAST REGRETS AND HURTS AND PAINS TO HIM THEN IT MEANS WE'RE STILL CARRYING THE BURDEN OURSELVES AND TRYING TO FIX IT THE BEST WAY WE KNOW HOW.ALL OF US I BELIEVE HAVE TO DEAL WITH SORROWS OF THE PAST IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER, BUT WILL WE GET BITTER OR BETTER?

I NEED TO FORGET A WHOLE LOT OF STUFF I'D BEEN CARRYING AROUND LIKE A HEAVY BACKPACK ON MY SHOULDERS. THERE'S ALWAYS BEEN A HEAVINESS OR GRIEF OF SOME SORT WITH ME SINCE I CAN REMEMBER, BUT I DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS UNTIL RECENTLY WHEN THE LORD SHOWED ME IN A VISION WHAT CAUSED IT. I WAS EXTREMELY ANGRY AT SOME PEOPLE BUT I'M LEARNING TO FORGIVE THEM.

I NEED TO FORGIVE SOME OF MY SPOUSE'S FAMILY MEMBERS FOR DECEIVING ME .I NEED TO FORGIVE SOME OF MY OWN FAMILY MEMBERS FOR THE HURTS AND PAIN THEY CAUSED. I WANT THE LORD TO FORGIVE ME OF MY SIN AND SO I MUST ALSO EXTEND FORGIVENESS TO OTHERS WHEN THEY HURT ME.....GOD BLESS.......

• 9 months later...

The Lord says: "No man having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) Using a plow requires setting yours eyes upon a fixed object that is ahead of you. In so doing, your furrows will be made straight. If you look backward, well, they sure will wander all over the field. If we dwell in our past, looking backward, the same effect will occur in our walks with the Lord and we will stray off of the narrow road.

To keep focused upon the finish line in our race toward the Kingdom, we need to lay aside all the hurts of our past, give our burdens to our Lord, put on His yoke, and move forward.

Every day, a memory comes up that I must let go. So, while I have the occasional rock in my furrow, I bend over (pray), give it to the Lord, and get rid of it.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

Since in the past we were ruled by Satan, it is his favorite ploy to remind us of the past. We need to forget our indulgences and selfish desires, for they distract our focus from Jesus. We can't change our past, but our past does not need be our present condition. We must forget what we were and look at who is in us and will guide us to His glory. Part of this process is forgiveness. Everybody has somebody to forgive, for selfish indulgences of the past are often motivated, by being wronged by others. Vengeance feeds our earthly passions for flesh. Forgiveness allows us to let go the past and to focus on the present and our future with Christ.

• 6 months later...
Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

By continually residing in the problems of the past it keeps us stuck instead of allowing us to know more about Christ. You can't forget all the memories, but you can forget the pain and get on the narrow path.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?

Our past can get in the way of our quest to know Christ as we spend time looking to the past instead of following the path that God has for us to travel.

What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

I need to forget failures and concentrate on Christ today and prod on to tomorrow.

Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

Christ has already forgiven, I now need to "forget."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i think that both how well we do things and how bad we blow them traps us and keeps us bogged down.they both focus on us in" look at me kinda works". our focal point needs to become christ 24/7 and a day, being thankful for every opportunity that comes our way. i remember greg laurie saying" whatever gets your attention, gets you". satan knows if he can get our minds ,he can get us. thats where the battle is, and all we can do is unconditionally surrender to christ and allow him to fight this war. it belongs to him. and as we submit to christ, he fills us with his spirit, and as we read his word, he puts his armour upon us and we are ready to walk confidently with him into war, not looking back and pondering at the great job we did, or how bad i blew that conversation, but battle ready single mindedness, ready to engage at every opportunity with truth in love.

• 1 month later...

Focusing on the past takes the focus away from the now. In order to know and grow in Jesus Christ, He must have our undivided atttention. Focusing on the past divides our attention and negatively impacts our spiritual growth. We need to live in the now with an eye for tomorrow.

As a Christian, I let the past be the past, for better or for worse, and I keep pushing forward with my spiritual journey on this planet.

• 6 months later...

I am an expert at living in the past!! I guess I should say I WAS but am no longer. If we keep bringing up our past to ourselves we can never move forward in the grace Christ has offered us and his death on the cross would be in vain. I daily thank God for what lies ahead and strive to truly forget the past. Someone said you shouldn't look back unless you are going there.

I had a struggle with forgiving someone. You have to pray for that person and realize they are covered by the same blood you are.

If we focus on the past we will never get by our past...... The past is passed!!!! We have to always be looking forward to what Jesus has for us not. Someone just sent me a thought for the day that says, "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you".

We have to forgot old wrongs, old hurts, words said in anger to us or things we've said to others. God forgives and we must forgive as he did.

There is always something I need to forgive someone for. It's a daily struggle.

• 2 months later...

I would say that my past is difficult for me because it contains a lot of stuff that I regret. So for me, the trap is to be regretting this and that all the time, and becoming imobilized from doing anything new or different. In fact, I often feel that if I try something new, it will be a failure, so I don't try.

I wish I could say that 'looking to Christ' would change all that, but life is more complicated than a simple phrase. Instead, it's a long (hopefully) journey into the unknown, with changes that are made in micro-increments and fits and starts. I guess that's why it's such a strain.

I guess with all the regrets mentioned above, I should likely try forgiving myself and others for the problems that have happened, and get over it. I would like to enjoy the present and look forward to the future....if only I didn't know that it would SUCK! :o

• 1 month later...

The past gets in the way if we are looking back at it, to know and follow Jesus we must keep our eyes on him. We need to forget our past failures and disappointments and focus on God and Jesus. Thank God, through the bible studies I've done and being patient for him to work in the past 2 or 3 years He has led me to the reconciliation with a loved one.

• 2 months later...

The past can get in our way of our quest to know Christ , If we do not practice our command from God , and that is to "forgive" those that trust passes against us. When we do not forgive one another it seperates us from God and that becomes and interferrence (seperation) with our relationship with God and His Son Jesus Christ.

At this time in life I have been brought through a lost of henderance and stumbling blocks set up by Satan, But because I learned not to lean not to my own understanding and acknowledge that God is the head of my life , those things that Satan had out to destroy me God used them to strength me and for my good. I don't think that God would have us to forget the things that He has brought us through, I do think that He do not want me to dwell on those things so much that they takes my foucs off Him and because of the relationship we have my focus will stay on Him today tomorrow and for ever more.

I can say as Paul said in so meny words . "I have put all those formal things behind me and look to those things to come before me and I press toward a goal of a higher calling in Christ Jesus".

• 6 months later...

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?

This spoke to me today regarding a situation going on right now. The Lord has been speaking to me: "Rest in Me; Feed on Me; Feed on my faithfulness". Our son is under great stress right now...he's being evicted July 1, due to his landlord's default on the loan. His job has petered out until he's not making enough money to live on. Last week, a mechanic test driving his car to see why it was still making a horrible noise, got into an accident and totaled the car. (Our son had just poured all of his income tax return into repairs on the car, and filled the tank with gas...all down the drain. We have no resources to help him, not even a bed for him if needed. Unless God intervenes, he won't be able to rent a new place, since he doesn't have the income to qualify now. One of his friends committed suicide and left him his cat...many places for rent say "no pets"..

What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

As a result of the situation our son is in, my body has been tied in knots of tension, pain in knees, neck, shoulders, anxiety, fear. My body is reliving the 5 times during the loss of our business, home, car and other catastrophic losses that we went through similarly, with no money, no place to go....until the last minute when God delivered us at the very last second each time. I'm praying to "forget" the humiliation, terror, fear and anxiety of those times, so that I can enter into His rest and peace while we wait to see how He is going to deliver our son now. I want to press on to know Christ in all of His fullnes, and right now that is as the deliverer of our children.

I hadn't even thought about this, but I'm asking the Lord about it....I will forgive the landlord, the place of employment for dishonest business practices and deceptive actions toward employees, perhaps God, though He can do nothing wrong. Sometimes I forgive Him in order to let go of old feelings of victimization that come up during present trials, from my abusive past. I will forgive myself for not trusting God with our son.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:13)

How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?

We are not to dwell on our past. We are to repent and ask for forgiveness of our sins. We have all sinned and done things for which we are ashamed. However, by letting go of past guilt we can now focus on getting to know Jesus better and becoming more and more like Him. Our hope is in Christ. We have a glorious future, and can now live a life of faith and obedience knowing our sins have been forgiven. Fortunately I am at complete peace with my Lord and Saviour, having asked forgiveness for any people I might have offended and also having forgiven those who have offended me. And I know that by grace I have been forgiven.

• 7 months later...

Reflecting on or rehearsing the past - whether it be failures or successes have the tendency to distract us from our present or future intentions and thereby hindering our progression in God. . . I find that the only thing we benefit from the past is the experience of learning from it which should help us do better presently and continue to advance as we proceed into the future. . .We can't change the past, but we can learn from it. . . We should take what aides our progression and run whih it and leave everything else where it lays - in the past. . .

I've found unforgiveness to be too great a burden for me to bear. . . I accept the fact that the person who has wronged someone else should make it a point to seek out that person asking for their forgiveness - but even if they don't (as for as it involves me and to my benefit) I have learned to let it go - forgiving the offender - and continuing on in my walk with the Lord. . .

Mark 11:25-26 (KJV)

25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV)

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. B)

Matthew 18:21-35 (NLT)

21 Then Peter came to him and asked, Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?

22 No, not seven times, Jesus replied, but seventy times seven!

23 Therefore, the Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a king who decided to bring his accounts up to date with servants who had borrowed money from him.

24 In the process, one of his debtors was brought in who owed him millions of dollars.

25 He couldnt pay, so his master ordered that he be soldalong with his wife, his children, and everything he ownedto pay the debt.

26 But the man fell down before his master and begged him, Please, be patient with me, and I will pay it all.

27 Then his master was filled with pity for him, and he released him and forgave his debt.

28 But when the man left the king, he went to a fellow servant who owed him a few thousand dollars. He grabbed him by the throat and demanded instant payment.

29 His fellow servant fell down before him and begged for a little more time. Be patient with me, and I will pay it, he pleaded.

30 But his creditor wouldnt wait. He had the man arrested and put in prison until the debt could be paid in full.

31 When some of the other servants saw this, they were very upset. They went to the king and told him everything that had happened.

32 Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me.

33 Shouldnt you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?

34 Then the angry king sent the man to prison to be tortured until he had paid his entire debt.

35 Thats what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Many times I want to pray or read the Bible, I suddenly get very angry at people who have done something to me.

This is especially about my mothers family but also people who tried to hustle in some shop, etc.

Then I can't concentrate anymore - so I start doing something else.

I try to forgive them but that's very difficult.

• 4 months later...

The past can get in the way of our quest to know Christ, because when we are looking backward we are not focusing on the things of Christ. We are focusing on the problem or trial that we cannot forget, and we continuously live over and over again a defeated life. It has a hold on us to hinder us from moving forward, and because we cannot move forward we lose sight of the goal, and fellowship with our Savior, Jesus Christ. Looking back in the past keeps us from living a victorious life.

I need to forget totally the dispute I had with a leader last year. Whenever I think that I have conquered the problem something happens that reminds me of the situation, and I am consumed again. I must chose to forget the past, and totally keep my focus and my eyes on the goal.

Yes, this proves that I have not given the problem totally over to Christ, and I do begged His forgiveness for not allowing Him to heal the wounds that seemed to be deep, and this relationship that I have with my Sister in the Lord. It is my deepest desire to

• 11 months later...

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ, and what do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

Christ calls all believers to run a race, to work out our own salvation, it calls out for our obedience in order for us to be made complete in Him; the Cross cries out for a righteous people, a people who will be a light to the world, to a world who are walking in darkness, but In order for us to run the race, we have to forget, we must neglect all those areas in our past, for they are enemies of the cross, they will hold us back from reaching our goal, perfecting in us that of holiness.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ, and what do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

Christ calls all believers to run a race, to work out our own salvation, it calls out for our obedience in order for us to be made complete in Him.

The Cross cries out for a righteous people, a people who will be a light to the world, to a world who are walking in darkness, but In order for us to run the race, we have to forget, we must neglect all those areas in our past, for they are enemies of the cross, they will hold us back from reaching our goal, perfecting in us that of holiness.