JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Thy Name

The statement hallowed be thy name in the Lord’s Prayer reminds me of a ps of David where he said “magnify the lord with me come let us exalt his name “ when we hallow or magnify his name we make him big (magnify) when he is big our problems are small. If we make our problems big in prayer we make the lord small. When we magnify and tell the lord how great he and his name are we are not doing it to stroke his ego , but rather for us to gain faith so we can go on and ask our petitions.So if we make God big (magnify)his name our problems become small and we can have faith for the answers 

-Andrew W

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/5/2005 at 8:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

When we use words and our actions that is in the oneness with God's word and character we "Hallows" our Father's name. 

When we use our Father's name in vain, and our actions and behavior contradicts God's character and word, we desecrate and tarnish His name.

When we pray we should approach God with a heart of reverence, respect, and humility.

• 6 months later...

Since as Christians, we are living under the gaze and watchful eye of our Lord and Savior, we should live our lives and always speak in such a way as to give honor and respect and glory to the person, authority, character and activity of our Lord and God.

We should not use His name in any matter- of- fact way(e.g in swearing) or using His name in vain or any besmirching way.

Hence in praying, in our salutations to the Lord, we MUST always ensure that we be careful to accord all of our respect and honor to him and to give Him all the Glory.

For He and only He is worthy.

• 6 months later...
On 9/6/2005 at 10:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

1. By living a God honouring life that glorifies Him and respecting Him through my speech. 

2. By letting other people speak rudely of Him in my presence. He is my Abba whom I love.

3. Dearest Abba, your so kind, loving and patience. I come to you knowing you love to hear my voice as much as I love to hear yours. Let’s together talk about our day.

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

The respect, love, and awe we hold in our hearts for God that shows through in our actions and words lifts God to His Holy place and allows His Holiness to shield us by His Spirit and transform our minds and hearts to even consider being Holy as He is Holy. So many things besmirch His Holiness--any time I deny the power of the Word of God and blaze my own trail away from Him to even thinking a diminishing thought about another human.  As we begin to pray, we need to bow our hearts before the Living, Holy God so that we might listen to Him, truly enjoy His Presence and hear Him.

• 1 year later...

The way in which we live either shows our respect for God or not. Starting the day in prayer is an active way we can Hallow God, being an active member of a Christian fellowship can Hallow God. Jesus said I am in the Father and the Father is in me, so taking that step of repentence and accepting Jesus as your Savior, Hallows God by recognising the Grace he has given to me. Sharing with others either work mates or social friends Hallows God.

Unfortunately, we often fail God through sin and this more than dishonours God hence our need to focus on Jesus and commit ourselves to Him, allowing the Holy Spirit to change our nature.

When we begin to pray we need to recognise that we are praying to the eternal Creator God, the one who desires that we also fellowship with Him! This of itself is amazing!