JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

Everything comes from God. Everything I have belongs to Him. He has given me everything I have; I did not deserve it.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

A person’s attitude with regard to giving is related to that person’s attitude towards praise when we hear and see how they view or feel about their life and possessions. Is what they have because of what they have done, or for what God has done for them? Who are they praising and worshipping? What and where are they spending all of their time and energy at and in?

This tells the true heart of a worshipper of God.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

An attitude of possessiveness with regard to giving get in the way of worship, because we:

(1) To believe that we earned our own way by the sweat of our own brow, and

(2) To hold our possessions tightly as our own. This is where we get in trouble with God.

We believe that our wealth belongs to us rather than to God.

In what sense do all your possessions belong to God?

David said it all in I Chronicles 29:14-16 – “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously26 as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. O LORD our God, as for all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name, it comes from your hand, and all of it belongs to you.”

Everything I have comes from the Hand of God, and belongs to Him.

What then should be your relationship to your possessions?

When I live my life that everything I own and have comes from God then my relationship to my possessions will be held lightly, and I will view them the way God wants me to see them as blessings from Him. It is this right thinking that will help me not to fall into the trap of what I have obtained.

How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

These truths that all that I have comes from God re-energizes my giving and praise, because I see how much I have been blessed by Him to have these possessions.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to a person's attitude towards praise?

If we are generous in our giving, we will be generous with our praise.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

If we are selfish, it affects the way we worship God. We will be very tight fisted in our worship.

Deuteronomy 8:17-18 says that "... remember the Lord your God for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth."

We are custodians of our possessions here on earth for everything is from God and belongs to God.

How will these truths re-energise your giving? Your praise?

Less possessive in our giving and more spontaneous with our praise.

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

A person's attitude about giving is related to the attitude about praise in that he cannot be truly generous until he learns to be generous with his praise. On the flip side, possessiveness gets in the way of worship because we begin worshiping our money instead of our Savior. Instead, we should see ourselves as stewards of the finances God gives us. It does not belong to us but to God. This will energize our giving because we are giving back what is already His. It will energize our praise because He is the only one worthy of our Praise.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

I would begin my prayers as David did and acknowlege who God is. The Lord's prayer follows as completely as Davids prayers. It starts with the acknowlegement of where God is located, it lifts His name up, refers to His kingdom and we pray for His will to be done here as it is in heaven. (an expression of true faith) The prayer follows with acknowledging that all our needs are supplied by God, our food, our forgiveness and even deliverance from the evil one. It is a beautiful prayer.

My favorite songs are many but the two I love the most is "How Great thou Art and Amazing Grace."

True praise acknowleges God as the giver of all things. If we are hanging on to something as owning it then we are not truely acknowledging God as the giver of all. It hampers our praise. My attitude should be that what I have is given or allowed by God. If I fear losing something then I am not truely given over to God in my heart. All is His and He gives all I need. Giving should be given as freely as praise. If I am not free in giving then my praises are not free in spirit either. My possessions belong to God. Accepting that truth frees my spirit and my cheerfullness in giving.

• 1 month later...

I belong to God, thus everything I own belongs to God. Not just 10%. Everything i have is God's proberty. I am jus a custodian. All I can do is to say thank You God for all You are giving me and praise Him by returning a little bit of what is His anyway.

We have to learn to seek God 1st and trust on HIM to guide us on wha to do to earn wha we want or need

• 1 year later...

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

Matthew 6:24

You Cannot Serve God and Riches

24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will

be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

A man may do some service to two masters, but he can devote himself to the service of no more than one.

God requires the whole heart, and will not share it with the world. When two masters oppose each other,

no man can serve both. He who holds to the world and loves it, must despise God; he who loves God, must

give up the friendship of the world.

When we offer things to the Lord, this represents sacrifice in the sense that we are depriving ourselves

of something in order to give something to God. The book of Malachi points out that the lack of commitment to serve God was evident in the giving patterns of the people. Rather than offering the best of their

flocks, the worst representatives of the flocks were being offered in sacrifice. In other words, animals

were being offered in sacrifice that the farmers didn't want anyway. They were reserving the best for

themselves and giving the leftovers to God. This was equivalent to offering no true sacrifice, to seeing

worship as a mechanical exercise rather than as part of a relationship with a living God, and to treating

God with contempt.

Our possessions have no "meaning" to the Lord, it is out obedience, regardless of the circumstances, that

He is seeking.

1 Chronicles 29:14-16 (NIV)

"But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously26as this? Everything

comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. We are aliens and strangers in your

sight, as were all our forefathers. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. O LORD our God, as

for all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name, it comes from

your hand, and all of it belongs to you."

Deuteronomy 8:17-18 (NIV)

"You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' But

remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his

covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today."

We are only a temporary steward of God's abundance. Our giving shows who or what has priority in our life.

Christians must never allow their possessions to possess them. It is frightening when we realize how many

are actually controlled by a desire for things. This desire is covetousness. Jesus said, “15 Then he said

to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance

of possessions.”(Luke 12:15 NIV)

How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

Less possessiveness in our giving and more spontaneous with our praise.

Everything comes from God.

"Everything comes from God alone. Everything lives by His power, and everything is for His glory." Romans 11:36 Living Bible

Everything that exists does so for the glory of God.

God"s glory is the expression of His goodness.

God's goodness is...

The essence of His nature.
The weight of His importance.
The splendor of His radiance.
The demonstration of His power.
His very presence

Creations reveals His glory.

We can not add anything to His glory!

Everything created by God reflects His glory in some way.

"The Lord has made everything for His own purpose." Proverbs 16:4 (NLT)

• 1 month later...

If a person keeps all their possessions within a tight grasp, they seem to be less open to praise God. They feel that they have earned this themselves and God appears to be an afterthought in their own minds. They feel that they are above prayer and they are usually the ones that attend worship service to be entertained. They are the ones that usually want to keep everything the same. They feel that they should be in control of the church and it's decisions because they give money to the church.

God created all things. Everything on this earth belongs to him. Nothing really has any meaning except for the meaning we give it. Every thing was put here for our use and for us to be stewards of. They all inanimate objects. Once you realize these simple truths, it is a lot easier to not hold on to it. It is so easy to praise God and thank him for all the things that are given to make my life so much easier. These are all gift from God.

• 1 month later...

The attitude of a person’s giving is related to that person’s attitude toward praise because we can praise God with his money. If we have an attitude that we earned it all and God had nothing to do with it then we are not likely to give much. I believe it all came from God because God gave us the skill to do what needed to done in order to have a career.

• 4 months later...

Giving is a sign of worshipping God. Giving not only our money,but our time,talents,energy and knowledge for the service of God. Whatever we give should be given out of our love for the Lord. He has blessed us by providing and meeting our needs and more importantly by sending His beloved son Jesus Christ to this wicked & sinful world to shed His blood and die on the cross for our sins.

We forget what we have is only by the grace of God. We become selfish when our possessions increase. We do not wish to give or part with our possessions. When one has more possessions(in any form) one becomes more possessive and thereby developing selfish attitude which prevents one from worshipping in spirit and truth.

Our relationship to our possessions is temporary." What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and lose his soul". One should be willing to give and share with the poor and under privileged. It is said in Mark 9:41 Anyone who gives a cup of water in my (Jesus) name will be surely rewarded. God loves a cheerful giver. I am grateful to God and praise Him because what I am today is by His grace.

• 4 years later...

Nothing lasts unless it is rooted in God’s unchanging character. If our most impressive deeds fade to dust before God, we must be able to give and praise God that's where we should place our confidence? Relationship with God can we find anything permanent. His love never fades, and nothing can take it away.

“Wholehearted is the desire to obey” means to be entirely dedicated to God. This is what David desired, above all else, to serve God. Sometimes we find it hard to do what God wants, or find it harder to want to do it. God can give us in return wholehearted through devotion. Believing in Jesus Christ, this is already is all we need. “For God is working in us, giving us the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him

• 2 years later...
On 9/30/2005 at 11:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because giving is a response to a generous and godly behavior.

When we get into an attitude of possessiveness, we tend to treat our possession like a idol or god. That gets in the way of worship because our attention and life revolves around those possessions, and we tend to take our focus and our attention off of our God is deserving and worthy of all of our praise and worship. 

He created, owns, and gives us the ability to obtain the possessions in the first place. Everything belongs to Him, and Him alone. 

We shouldn't get attached or worship anything in this world. Nothing on this earth should make or break us because it it has nothing to do with our eternal salvation with the Father. 

God comes first and everything I have shouldn't come before Him in any way shape or form. 

I live, I move, and I have my very being because of my Father in Heaven and Him alone! Acts 17:28.

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2005 at 1:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

Mark 12:41-44 comes to mind- The Widow’s Offering 41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.

She is an example of giving her all out of her nothing which is of more value in the eyes of Messiah

2. Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven Matthew 5:3

You can be rich or poor but it’s acknowledging that God has given you what you already have, so being thankful is the right attitude and releasing it back to God so it can be used wisely to advance the Kingdom of God and also be good stewards with what He gives you to use at church, home, in the workforce or any other place you attend, also being generous in our relationships, especially generously thanking and worshipping God from when it all came.

3. In what sense do all your possessions belong to God?

God’s word of TRUTH teaches us so: [For the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains 1 Corinthians 10:26,  The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains, the world, and all those that live in it  Psalm 24, The silver is Mine and the gold is Mine,’ declares the Lord of hosts Haggai 2:8, For every beast of the forest is Mine, the cattle on a thousand hills Psalm 50:10]

4. What then should be your relationship to your possessions?

Be a vessel of freely receiving and freely releasing as He guides.

5. How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

All I have came from you Lord, I have no lack because of your gracious mercy. Remove any blockages hindering me from the receiving of your provisions and the release of those precious things to where they are meant to go. Stop me from being stingy, mean-hearted and selfish for I am your child and don’t want to dishonour your generous heart by being mean. Give me the grace of giving in Jesus name I ask amen 🙏🏼

As I reply I should quote all from 1Chronicles 29 - especially verses 9-14.  The people are flabergasted at the generosity of David and their leaders.  The clincher is verse 14:  EVERYTHING we have comes from YOU, God!  When we truly understand that everything...everything...we have comes from God, we cannot help but praise and give generously.  When the Holy Spirit prompts us to give, we can give.  We do not have to hold possessively to our belongings.  My husband's grandmother had such an attitude toward her things--they were things only and she only needed what she needed and everything else could go.  This lesson is a good reminder that ALL I have is from Him and my praise of Him is re-energized.