JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation?

There are a couple of reasons why Hezekiah's healing would be important.

1. As a demonstration of how God treats His faithful servant:

Hezekiah was a true servant of God. He trusted in God; He held fast to the Lord and did not stop following Him Hezekiah purified and repaired the Temple, purged its idols, and reformed the priesthood. In an

effort to abolish what he considered idolatry from his kingdom, he destroyed the high places (or bamot) and the "bronze serpent" (or "Nehushtan"), which was made by Moses and became an objects of idolatrous worship.In place of this, he centralized the worship of God at the Jerusalem Temple. Hezekiah also resumed the

Passover pilgrimage and the tradition of inviting the scattered tribes of Israel to take part in a

Passover festival.

His people would have seen this as a true example of Godly behavior. The Israelites would therefore

have a reasonable expectations that such a good example would be blessed by good health and be a

recipient of God's saving grace and mercies.

2. At the time of Hezekiah's reign Judah did not have a successor to the throne.

During this time period, the nation of Israel was in a perilous state. Many surrounding nations had

fallen to the Assyrians and had penal taxes to pay. Judah remained under serious threat from the

Assyrians. It was critical for Hezekiah to have an heir to the throne; a strong and God fearing leader

who would have the confidence of the people and could protect the nation.

How did it relate to God's promises to David?

God promised an unbroken line of David's sons upon the throne. Hezekiah is also appealing to God's

promises for offspring and for a long life to those who walk uprightly before Him.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hezekiah, I am sure, had not reached sinless perfection, but he had been careful (unlike his father) to live a godly, righteous, and faithful life before the Lord. He had been zealous for the Lord, in the face of much pressure and criticism from idolaters. He had encouraged the people with confidence and trust in God when threatened by his enemies. Hezekiah not only talked about a righteous life. He lived it! He walked the walk!

In order to be a good disciple of God and an evangelist, if you can't walk the walk, what makes you think you can convince others to follow God? In today's society, words mean nothing if they don't have actions behind them. So, if you can't prove to others that you walk the walk of Jesus, Please don't waste God's time by trying to convert sinners to Christianity. You are only making it harder for others to do God's work!

• 1 month later...

Hezekiah was a descendant  of King David. However, he had no children to give the throne to upon his death at that time. There would not be a true heir in which the Messiah would be born if he were to die at that moment. God does not go back on his promises. He is greater than that. So God gave Hezekiah this chance to pray for his life. It allowed him to show his love for the nation of Israel above himself. And God responded accordingly and allowed him to live.

• 2 months later...

The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is that he had walked before God faithfully with wholehearted devotion and did well in His eyes. I think that personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting our prayers answered is because God likes to give us good things when we are in harmony with Him. I think that unrighteousness prevents answered prayer because God doesn’t want to pour out his grace to those that don’t obey Him.

• 4 months later...

The Assyrian king was close to invade Judah after defeating,conquering and destroying many nations around Judah. King Hezekiah who was sick and about to die had no heir to the throne which would leave the country without a successor to lead and rule the country. Hence, Hezekiah prayed God for healing of his sickness.

God promised David that his seed would continue and endure forever. " your house and kingdom will endure forever before me. Your throne will be established forever." 2 Samuel 7:16.

• 5 years later...

3a.  Hezekiah's healing was important for spiritual strategical and successional reasons. Spiritually he was a godly faithful and righteous leader to Israel's one and true living God as he drove out  the idolaters and destroyed their place of worship.Strategically the nation was under constant military threat and there was no other competent and inspirational leader as him.Finally their was no heir for the throne and this would have caused in fighting and strife while the nation is facing external enemies. 

3b.  God has promised  David that his house and his kingdom would endure forever before Him.At the time of his illness Hezekiah did not have any children. If he the king die then the next king would not be from David's lineage.

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2005 at 3:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation? How did it relate to God's promises to David?

His healing was important because his nation was in the middle of the Assyrian threats of conquer. 

God made a promise that He would defend the city of Jerusalem to make sure carry on the bloodline of David that will culminate the Messiah. 

• 1 year later...

Q3. Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation? How did it relate to God's promises to David?  It seems that Hezekiah's healing is important to his nation in that he had not appointed a successor; without a successor, his nation would probably head into a time of turmoil and strife as all fought to be the next king.  Hezekiah's healing relates to God's promise to David in that God promised David in 2 Samuel 7 starting in verse 12: "When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom...and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.  I will be his father, and he will be my son..my love will never be taken away from him...Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’” Since this promise to David included Hezekiah, knowing he needed his own flesh and blood to succeed him, Hezekiah prayed to God through that promise that God had given.  Hezekiah needed a son before he died.

On 10/8/2005 at 5:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation? How did it relate to God's promises to David?

1. Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation?

Because he was mostly a good king and would continue to do good with God’s help. If he died the nation could get another evil king who would lead the people astray and away from God.

2. How did it relate to God's promises to David?

God promised an unbroken line of David's sons upon the throne. Hezekiah is also appealing those promises for his life, to continue the good work for the nation.