JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. God our Father

Pastor Ralph

What does the concept of "father" teach us about God, especially the formal way in which the word is used in the Old Testament? According to the quote from Otfried Hofius above, which two aspects of a father underlie our understanding of Father in the Old Testament? How should they affect our behavior?

The Old Testament concept of "Father" teaches us that God is our creator. At the same time, He is our Saviour, Redeemer, Provider ad Keeper. His love for us is everlasting and he will never disown us. Thus we are to revere him, love and worship Him.

According to the quote from Otfried Hofius, a father rules over the household, having absolute authority over his family. This means the entire family has to accord to him the utmost respect. He also has the duty of supporting his entire family by providing for him, looking after them and protecting them.

If we have an earthly father who performed these 2 roles well, we will see God the Father as someone who is dependable, loving and caring. I had a father who was completely undependable - always lying, womanizing etc and when I first became a christian, it was very difficult for me to believe that God loves me and would provide for me. It took me many many years to separate the image of my earthy father from God the father.

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What does the concept of "father" teach us about God, especially the formal way in which the word is used in the Old Testament? According to the quote from Otfried Hofius above, which two aspects of a father underlie our understanding of Father in the Old Testament? How should they affect our behavior?

The concept of “father” in the Old Testament is not intimate as we see in the New Testament. It is more in the sense as the Originator or Creator and the Sustainer of all things. Being our Creator, He deserves the utmost respect and reverence on part of the creation. And as His creation we are to be submitted to Him and honor Him with all of our lives.

According to Otfried Hofius, the two aspects of a father that underlie our understanding of the Father in the Old Testament are that of a patriarch – the central authority within the family who is to be respected and revered. He makes decisions for the welfare of the entire family and he has to be submitted to by all the family members. Moreover as the patriarch of the family, he has the responsibility to lead, protect, provide, guard, support and help the members of his family. Likewise the understanding of our Heavenly Father is that He deserves the utmost respect and that He takes care of us and leads us in the way that is right in His eyes.

As His children, we are to honor Him and respect Him for who He is knowing that He is our provider, sustainer, defender and our portion in this life. We have to be submitted to His Lordship and be not in rebellion to His ways for our lives knowing that His thoughts towards us are thoughts of peace to give us a future and an expected end.

• 1 year later...

It teaches us that He is our creator, our Rock and Savior. 

The two facts are that He is the head of the household and He has absolute authority and should be respected. And that He has the responsibility of guarding, supporting and helping other members.

They should remind us that He is control of things and knows what is best for us. He has the ultimate say in the end and He should be obeyed.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2006 at 1:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. What does the concept of "father" teach us about God, especially the formal way in which the word is used in the Old Testament? According to the quote from Otfried Hofius above, which two aspects of a father underlie our understanding of Father in the Old Testament? How should they affect our behavior?

The formal way in which the word "father" is used in the O.T. as it relates to God, teaches us that He, as the creator, must be highly revered and respectfully obeyed.   Because He created us He would be there for us, to protect us from enemies and to save us from them..

According to the quote from Otfried Hofius, the two aspects of a father that underlie our understanding of Father in the O.T. are: 1. ruling with absolute authority, and 2. guarding, supporting, and helping those who are submissive to being ruled.

Because of those two factors, we should humbly submit only to our Father and be obedient to Him, for He alone is in control with absolute authority.

• 6 months later...

After meditation all weekend on 1John3:1,  I am deeply aware of the Fatherhood of God. St Paul was just amazed of the Fatherhood of God.  Based on St Matthew 23:10, God and Christ are jealous of these honors-they alone have the rights of the titles Father, Master. God is the only Father of Christains and Christ is the only Leader and head of the church (Ephesians 2:20-23; Colossians 1:18,24).

It is very solemn thought that God alone is our Father.  Yahweh created us, He is infinitely aware of our inner workings. This will spur us along in our sanctification.  We pray that we grow in holiness each day.  I need fresh graces, heavenly bread from. Heaven each day.  Yesterday's manna will not suffice.  I can have complete trust in God; emunah--God is Yahweh Jireh and Yahweh Rapha and Yahweh Shammah.  What a blessing  that I know within my heart that I am a child of God NOW (1 John 3:1).

• 2 years later...

Q1. What does the concept of "father" teach us about God, especially the formal way in which the word is used in the Old Testament?

It teaches us that the father is the head of the household, the decision maker and the provider. God should be the head of our lives, our provider and sustainer. He is who we should trust to lead us in every area of our life. 

According to the quote from Otfried Hofius above, which two aspects of a father underlie our understanding of Father in the Old Testament?

The father rules, he’s head of the household, the decision maker and the one who everyone depends on. He is respected and has complete authority over his household. God being our creator, is our father. We are to give Him authority over our lives, respect Him and depend on Him. All our trust should be in God and He should be the one leading and guiding us.

How should they affect our behavior?
We need to be obedient to Gods word, allowing Him to lead us and guide us. Have respect for Him and put all our trust that He will protect, provide and sustain us. That God knows whats best for us in every area of our lives.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2006 at 12:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jehovah is the source of life- including Jesus' life. But he created us THOUGH Jesus (not know by that name then).

Heb 1:1- In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; 2- but in these last days He has spoken to us by a son, whom He appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3- He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of His nature, upholding the universe by His word of power. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4- having become as much superior to angels as the name he has obtained is more excellent than theirs.