JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jesus' Violent Death

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? What did it probably mean to them later?

Because even though Jesus Christ crucifixion and treatment of him leading up to the day was of utmost violence, it was prophecy from the Lord. To show and imbed in the minds of many that this sacrifice of Jesus Christ was made for the admonishment of sins of bAll.

• 2 months later...

Jesus refered to the violent nature of His death in the words of Institution because He was refering to His own sacrifice for our sins. At the time the disciples couldn't understand it, which is why in Mark 8: 31-33, we see Jesus rebuking Peter and saying ''Get behind me, satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but in human things. NRSV.

His disciples were horrified that He was going to sacrifice Himself, but Isaiah 53 clearly tells us of Jesus' voluntary sacrifice and Matthew 20:28 has Jesus telling us how He came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? What did it probably mean to them later?

Jesus refers to the violent nature of His death in the Words of the Institution because He is conveying to all continuosly througout all time, that He is the slaughtered Lamb, the ultimate sacrifice that atones for the sins of all of mankind.

At the time, the disciples could not truly understand what Jesus meant in the words He spoke to them. However, after His death, they realized that He was the Messiah who came to deliver them, who set them free from eternal death by the sacrifice of His body on a horrendous death by crucifixion. They must have felt sorrow and regret that they did not more fully love and appreciate Him while He was with them on earth. They must have also been grateful and sorrowful that their sins, along with the sins of all mankind, necessitated Jesus' violent death as a way of atoning for those sins.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? What did it probably mean to them later?

Because His blood was poured out for many, and His death was the marker of the new covenant. It was prophesied that He would be tortured, have a violent death. This was necessary for the remission of our sins. God hates sin, and He had to turn His face from the Son.

I have tried to put myself in the diciples place to think what it would have meant to me. I think they probably did not have a full understanding of what was really going to happen, or why. When Jesus was taken He had to stop the diciples from trying to protect Him. They probably started getting an understanding of what was going on when Jesus arose from the dead and then ascended into heaven. I think the full understanding didn't come until the Holy Spirit fell upon them.

• 4 months later...

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution?

Jesus referred to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution because this was to be a memorial, they were to remember the greatest sacrifice of all - God's plan for the redemption of the world, the shedding of Jesus' blood.

What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time?

At the time the disciples who were very familiar with the animal sacrifice for atonment saw it as Christ ultimate expression of his love for them as He went to the cross for them.

What did it probably mean to them later?

Having had time to reflect on the events and the prophecy of the coming Messiah, the disciples now knew that Christ blood being shed was for the benefit of all mankind (the animals too :) ).

• 4 months later...

The violent nature of His death is what He did for the atonement of human sin -- not to be forgotten. The disciples did not have a total handle on what Jesus was telling them that night, at that time when Jesus instituted His memorial supper. After Jesus died on the cross and rose again on the third day, the Lord's Memorial Supper meant everything to them.

• 5 months later...

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution?

To show them that sin is serious and the consequences can be severe.

What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time?

They thought Jesus would reign as King on earth so they did not understand what He was talking about.

What did it probably mean to them later?

They didn

• 6 months later...

The disciples lived in a time when the violent ritual sacrifice of animals, involving the pouring out of blood to pay for the peoples sin was regular and customary. The disciples would have understood from the words spoken by Jesus in Matthew 26:28 "This is my blood ... which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." that He was identifying Himself with a sacrificial animal. But the full meaning of the Words of Institution would only come to them after Christ's crucifixion and His rebirth.

• 8 months later...

Jesus referred to his violent nature of death to prepare and help his disciples to understand what was going to happen and way. I don't think they really understood at the time. Later, they realized what Jesus was trying to tell them and they understood.

• 1 year later...

Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? The shedding of blood was a violent act which occurred both in the Old and New Testament. As Pastor Ralph wrote, "Jesus is explaining that his death on the cross -- violent and unrighteous as it might seem -- is also a sacrifice of atonement for sin." It was necessary for Jesus to refer to this in order for all to understand why this was happening.

What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? They probably did not know exactly what He meant. In Matthew 16:21-22, when Jesus predicted His death, Peter said to Him that "it shall never happen."

What did it probably mean to them later? They would have realized the significant of the need for the sacrifice in order to atone for all of our sins. Pastor Ralph wrote that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:7, "Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed". Further, as Pastor Ralph wrote in his commentary that Jesus not only fulfilled the sacrificial laws, he also fulfilled Passover.

• 1 month later...

To indicate that He was martyred for the sake of all of humanity. . .

Jesus speaking of His death to His disciples prior to His Crucifixion on the Cross seemed to have little effect on them - it appears that they missed the meaning of it - however, after this act took place they realized the significance of it - that His death atoned for humanity's sins. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

which is poured out

the movement of the wine into their mouth?

the blood of Jesus which flew from His wounds

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? What did it probably mean to them later?

By using langauage familair to the people....shed blood....I think He was trying to get His point across. Not only was this accomplished by the pure act of violence of death on the cross, but Christ willingly did this for us. He made Himself the true Passover Lamb of God to cover us for all time by the sacrifice of Himself. To the disciples this must have been a heartbreaking time, they must have felt in awe of their Master, and confused and wondering....Is this really happening and then it is true. So to take and drink of the blood as a pouring out for all was very humbling.

• 2 months later...

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? He expressed what is really was -- He was put to death as a martyr. This was part of the sacrificial pain He would go through -- the rejection and hatred of mankind.

What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? I don't think His disciple got it. They probably through He was using symbolic language like He did when speaking in parables.

What did it probably mean to them later? After it was all over and the disciples had time to reflect on what had happened, all of this made sense to them. It all came together like a puzzle in their heads.

• 2 years later...

Jesus referred to the violent nature of His death because it was very violent for the benefit of others; He knew that He was the replacement for the animal sacrifices that they killed and placed on the altars (the cross was the brazen altar).  I’m sure the disciples probably didn’t understand it at that time that Jesus was the atonement for their sins.  However, after He died and rose again they no longer had to kill animals to repent for their sins.  I believe it was then they realized (though they may not have had a full understanding of it all yet) that He was the sacrificial lamb and payment for their sins once and for all.          

• 5 months later...

Jesus by his choice of word is explaining that his death on the cross as violent and unrighteous, or unfair as it might seem is a sacrifice for our sins.  The cruelty of the nails and the cross does not mean the end of the ministry, but the beginning.  I think at the time the disciples did not understand the stories and the parables Jesus thought them.  To them death was death even though they seen Jesus raise Lazarus.  Jesus raised Lazarus and Jesus is not dead.  Later when He rose and returned the parables and Jesus stories made sense to them.  They knew why he had to die.

• 1 year later...

I feel that the meaning of the Lord's Supper is to be a way for us to remember the sacrifice tht Jesus made for our sins. We are not to partake of the meal lightly. I feel that He was not only trying to fulfill that scripture but also to set the stage for the apostles to take that special meal to all the new converts that were going to be called to Jesus soon. This was one very visual way to connect to Jesus  and to the actions that were going to be taking place for our salvation. I feel that the apostles had great reverance and honor for the recreation of the Lord's Supper each time they broke bread with their followers. I wish that we had the same type of reverance today.

• 3 years later...

Q2. Why did Jesus refer to the violent nature of his death in the Words of Institution? What did this probably mean to the disciples at the time? What did it probably mean to them later?

1. Jesus is explaining that his death on the cross -- violent and unrighteous as it might seem -- is also a sacrifice of atonement for sin.

2. They really didn’t understand Jesus was telling them about this Crucifixion. Neither did they understand that Jesus would go through such pain as die and leave them.

3. Afterwards, when he had risen from the dead I think they understood what he had told them.