JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Repairing the Divisions

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

We as the divisions in Corinth are the same. It just has a different color to it. There is bickering, jealousy, back biting in our churches today. There is sexual immorality that is not usually addressed by the church. Though I have not seen it in the church I am now attending, I am sure there is some division as this is human nature. The church I am now attending does address the issue of sexual immorality. The need for unity is very serious. Jesus prayed for unity of ALL that heard and believed His message. That includes us today. I do believe bickering congregations that know they are bickering are sinning if they do not recondile before taking the LORD's Supper, are sinning. Though I must admit, I had never thought about it til now.

• 3 months later...

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations?

In every congregation you'd find some sought of a division, even as it was in Corinth.

Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own?

My congregration is no different than that of Corinth or any other today. There are those who cause division and there are those who always see the wrong someone else is doing except there own wrong. We must all examine our individual self before we look over in our neighbour's faults.

How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

In a congregation unity is very important, one should not partake of the Lord's Supper when there is unforgiven sin.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I haven't been part of a congregation for a long time but I remember that when I was I found fault with others and was a miserable failure, I criticized others for being non-loving when I was probably the least loving of all.

I didn't do any bickering as far as I remember, but instead withdrew complaining to myself that the world was not as I wanted it to be. I was foolish.

But I feel ready to try going to church again, and the next Sunday I have free (I work shifts in a factory) I will be going to introduce myself at my local Church. I have been taken these lessons to help me find the way.

A bickering congregation has forgotten Love, and we sin when we forget the love that is in our heart of hearts.

When we open to the transformative energy of Christ we are blessed, anger turns into compassion, ill-will into good-will and there is only Love

1 Corinthians 13:3.... "but if I have not love I have nothing"

1 Corinthians 13:13.. "there are three things that last forever, faith, hope and love; but the greatest of them is love."

• 7 months later...
Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

They sound very familiar in our own congregations. For my church, there has been division over different things. People with hurt feelings, don't agree with the move of the Spirit, want things to stay the same and not change. But, Praise God, that is changing! He is dealing with hearts and God is moving in the church. So many have being praying for unity, and it is happening. The need is very great and very serious for us to be one with Christ and to get his work done. No, I don't think bickering congregations should partake of the Lord's Supper. Sin is there and it would be of no value. I know people do, and I have seen no change in them, their relationship with God, or their improvement with other people. For me, If I even think I have said something to upset or hurt someone, I go right then and ask forgiveness from them and God. I can't partake because I feel shame and guilt. To me, is is disgracing God.

• 1 year later...

Today there are so many social issues that divide every congregation. We all need to get back to the basics that Jesus taught. When the Lord's Supper is celebrated, the liturgy asks us to confess our sins before we partake Communion. We must really understand the meaning and be truthful in order to really experience the intimacy with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...

There are some who feel that they are "super-anointed" - some who are of the impression that they are the only ones that are, or can be "abundantly blesses" - and then there are those who take themselves to be "extremely intelligent or wise": these also have that "take-over" spirit . However, we must be stern enough to rein them in, laboring to harness their gift(s) and talent(s) for effectiveness within the ministry without destroying them. . .

There are those within the congregation that shouldn't partake of the Lord Supper because of their bickering and other actions - but thank God they haven't contaminated the entire congregation. . . For those that should partake all you can really do is warn them of the consequences and trust that they will make the right choice. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

bickering is a sin

so bickering without sin is a contradictio in terminis

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

The difficulty may be more far reaching than the local church we attend, it is in the body of believers. The need for unity is great because without it we falter, we forget who we serve and the why's of loving Christ Jesus. We need to settle these differences when we are aware of them so that we do not sin by taking the Lord's Supper with a grudge on our heart. I think that each of us, if we are honest with ourself, has had these thoughts or feelings....we just feel wronged and do not want to let go of the anger, hurt, or the shun of another brother or sister in Christ. But if we do not do this....how can we expect Christ to forgive us ???

• 2 years later...

I attend a very large church and although I help out in membership sometimes when needed, it’s rather difficult for me to see where or what divisions there may be inside my church. I just know that we have some issues (clicks, snootiness’, etc.) because we are people and people come with baggage and a whole lot of other stuff.  On occasions, my pastor will blatantly speak in general terms about the problematic things occurring in the church (guilty parties know what he’s speaking about without him calling names).  Unity in the body of Christ is imperative and though we partake in communion every month does not mean that we are all on one accord.  Only God knows whose heart is truly in the right place.  

• 5 months later...

I have been in my present congregation for 2 years.  I can honestly say there is no bickering, fighting, or discord.  When we have an issue we discuss it.  The congregation is small and when we have a meeting we all attend.  We have our say and no one is offended.  We are on one page and if not we compromise.  Our focus is on God.  We pray together and for each other.  I think a bickering congregation should try to settle their differences before Holy Communion.  If it cannot be solved maybe bringing in a third party as a negotiator.  We did have a problem in a congregation I attended years ago.  A certain couple caused the entire congregation to be upset.  After all of us doing a corporate counseling the couple served us Holy Communion.  This healed the congregation.

• 1 year later...

Since, I have started these lessons, I have seen the corruption in my congregation more clearly. I have become all to aware of the godless actions of the elders. I find that there is no grace from God when we come together in the act of worship. Where there was once a great feeling of warmth and unity, there now is only emptiness and bitterness. There is no heart in the worship. At times, it seems like we are there just to get amused and to be entertained. There is no love or warm feelings in the building. I am not saying that there is no warmth at all. There is some between friends and families but not much can be felt by everyone. I have no idea how we can get it back. But I do feel  that we are sinning each time we come together as a community to worship. We share the bread and wine. And yet, there are hard feelings between those passing out the elements and receiving them.

• 3 years later...

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

1. There is divisions between members. 

2. Some don’t want to serve God all the way and if things are not their way, it’s wrong. That discourages them.

3. Completely serious because, otherwise we will not have unity with others and cause ourselves to go to hell.

4. No, because there heart will have some kind of sin inside. It is not the cup of thanksgiving concerning the  blood of Christ.  It is not the break that is broken in participation with Christ.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Repairing the Divisions