JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Worldwide Church of Christ

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

We ought to be tolerant and allow for differences in other denominations. Paul's One Loaf teaching should cause us to see ourselves as united in Christ.

How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

In many instances we do judge other denominations and the faith of other Christian groups and allow our pettiness to get in the way of us being obedient and loving them as we love those in our congregation. Jesus prayed that we would love each other and it is encumbrant on us to love each other as He love them. If God could love them then surely we can.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

We may disagree with other denominations but we all love the Lord and serve the same God. We should show love to all our brothers and sisters, no matter what denomination they belong to. We should all be one in Christ.

How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

To judge others because they belong to a different denomination just shows our pride in ourselves. God is the only one that can pass judgment on others. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Paul's teaching doesn't exclude anyone - all followers of Christ are included irregardless of denomination. We should act as a follower of Christ with everyone.

I don't believe that blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups excuses us in any way from Jesus' command to love one another. We will never all agree on everything (or sometimes on anything) but the overall belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of God who died in our place should bring us together - we shouldn't let the nits tear us apart.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

Paul's teaching should affect our relationship and love for those of other denominations and traditions with great love. We have to reach out in love. But, that is not the case. I don't think God looks at denominations and traditions, I think he looks at the heart. Because people worship different from us doesn't mean they do not believe in God. We judge poeple too quick about different faiths and we cannot love them. Because they don't worship the way we do, we think they are wrong. We cannot judge. That is not our job. When we reach out in ove regardless of faith or tradition, God will be there. GOD LOVES ALL MANKIND.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

We should love all our brothers and sisters, whether they are conservative, moderate or liberal. Even with our differences, we should follow Jesus Christ's example. It is unfortunate that as Christians, we can not participate in the Lord's Supper with fellow Christians at certain churches. We are all Christians and we all have one thing in common, Jesus Christ. In Matthew 18:20, Jesus said "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Jesus is with us all and we should be able to worship at the same time and the same place.

• 2 months later...

All Christians (born-again believers) are members of the Body of Christ no matter what denominational banners sits in front of the buildings we assemble. . . WE ARE ONE IN CHRIST JESUS". . . Romans 12:3-5 (KJV)

3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1 Corinthians 12:12-27 (KJV)

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?

20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:

25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

1 Corinthians 1:12-13 (KJV)

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

There is no excuse for our failure or refusal to love one another. . .John 13:35 (KJV)

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 15:9-14 (KJV)

9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

We have not the right or the authority to be a judge over any one and have been commanded by Jesus not to judge anyone. . .Matthew 7:1-4 (KJV)

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Romans 14:4 (KJV)

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Romans 14:13 (KJV)

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

B)

• 5 months later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17)

How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

We are to love each person as Christ has commanded us. However, we do not have to agree with their actions. If they worship differently from me, or neglect doctrinal accuracy; who am I to pass judgment on them. Besides my understanding of certain doctrines might be wrong.

I know it easy to criticize other denominations and to look down upon them, thinking we are right and that they are in error, and they cannot possibly even be classified as Christians. I must admit I was inclined to think like this when I was younger, but fortunately as I

• 2 months later...

How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

Sometimes we get caught up in doctrine....the I am right and you are wrong theories. It really is shameful that we let our feelings of self worth get in the way....of our true worship and remembering what Jesus did for us. Maybe another group does things different....but are we to judge and cause a breach??? I think we are here on this earth to let others know about the Jesus we love....we want to share with all mankind....and not get so stuck on what we think is right or wrong that we forget the reason....Jesus...HE LIVES....

• 2 years later...

Christ only has one body.  Meaning, all the different denominations should be one in Him.  There should be no divisions within denominations and the traditions should not have strayed from what Jesus did when He walked this earth.  The various denominations are “man-made” and this opens the doors to created differences (that should not be) within the body of Christ. Even still, this should not hinder our love and concern for believers of any denomination.  We use the differences as an excuse not to love one another…they think this, they believe that, when others don’t think or act as we do or think they should, then we create an image of them that we use to keep us from loving one another as Jesus commanded.   

• 5 months later...

Paul's teaching on the One Loaf does affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions.  I was in Africa a few years ago in Maua, Kenya.  I met a group of Muslims.  We talked about God and they became upset at my being a United Methodist.  Several of the villagers came to my rescue.  But before they left we agreed we were brothers and sisters just different religions.  They are people with feeling just like you and I even though our religious preferences are different.  They were not violent just Muslim.  They were born into Muslim homes the same as I was born into a United Methodist home.  We are to extend ourselves in love to others.  We do not have to believe as they do nor do they have to believe as I do.  We just need to love and to be tolerant.

• 1 year later...

Everyone who believes in Christ and partakes in the breaking of bread are all one in the same body. There should be no questioning of the traditions that each group choses to follow. The question should not be how we break bread together but why we do it. People need to learn the real meaning behind the actions. That is the only way that true faith can be expressed. Nobody wants to have to accept others or their traditions. They do not want to leave their comfort zones. I find this very unsettling. If we can't get along with other Christians, how are we going to get along with anyone else?

• 3 years later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

1. We are to love them regardless of the belief or denomination. We should love brothers and sisters who are just as sincere and devout as we.

2. Even if we don’t agree with all the practices or understandings of other believers, we must not let pride make us think that our supposed rightness is an excuse to be unloving. If we are one in Christ, we must act like it by loving one another regardless of tradition, nationality, and denomination.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. The Worldwide Church of Christ