JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Eating his flesh, drinking his blood

Q3. (John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly?

Jesus emphasized the eating of His flesh and the drinking of his blood so strongly because of the importance to his disciples. Jesus wanted to make it clear to them that "to believe" and "to eat Jesus' flesh and drink Jesus' blood" are synonymous. In Jesus' earlier teaching the disciples were taught "he who believes has everlasting life." Now, He reiterates this teaching with the emphasis on partaking of the "flesh" and "blood" of Jesus which they will do not many days hence and will continue to do because they "believe."

What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus?

The difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus is the fact that they took Jesus' teaching of "to eat Jesus' flesh and drink Jesus' blood" literally, whereas the Twelve took the teaching figuratively.

What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?

The mark of a true disciples according to John is one who continue to hold to the teachings of Jesus, i.e. they continue to obey the words of Christ.

• 4 months later...

Jesus is emphazing an in-depth, enduring faith in Him. People have a hard time staying focused and following things through. Jesus taught constantly, as well as throughout God's word, that follow through is where the blessings are at and where true spiritual growth is found. It ultimately ends in eternal life with God in Heaven.

The difference between the Disciples and the crowd of so-called disciples that turned away from Jesus was their degree of faith. A mark of a true disciple is one who holds/practices Jesus' teaching.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Because believing is the very foundation of our relationship with Christ and partaking of the Lord's Supper is our commitment to that relationship. The difference between the 12 and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away is that the 12 listened as believers and understood, continued to "feed" on Jesus, to believe, and to abide in him while those who turned away heard only the words and not the meaning. As Jesus said, the parables are for the believers, not the unbelievers. The mark of true disciples is that they hold to Jesus' teaching and by doing so will know the truth and the truth will set them free.

• 2 months later...

Faith is the fuel needed to launch into a life of Christianity. (The only thing that comes before Faith is the longing for God)

Once we experience Christ in our hearts we feel His Strength... but in difficult times, faith is still our cornerstone, our foundation. So I can see why Jesus emphasized the importance of faith.

The difference between the Twelve and those who turned away was that the Twelve had faith.

The mark of true disciples is that they are secure in the Truth, and in times of crises when truth might escapes them, they at least keep faith.

"So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love" Saint Paul

I notice that faith comes first.

• 7 months later...
Q3. (John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly? What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus? What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?

Jesus emphasized it so strongly because without faith is is impossible to believe in God. Our faith helps us to believe in God's written word and to believe in the Lord we cannot see.The Twelve knew what Jesus was saying because he taught them of these things. The crowd of disciples did not see or understand Christ teaching. They were trying to understand in the carnel mind, not the Spirit's. True disciples are those that believe in God's word, take him at his word, and stand firmly planted on the Word of God, which is our solid foundation.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly? What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus? What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?

See post #33

(John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly? I believe that He wanted only the true believers to carry on the Word. He did not want wishy washy people. As He said in Mark 4:10-12, " When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that, " 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'"

What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus? What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32? John 8:31-32 summarizes the difference. John 8:31-32 states that "To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Pastor Ralph summarized it very clearly in his commentary as follows: 'There are some "hard sayings" in life that cause the faint of heart to let go. There are those who assent to Jesus' words, but when there is a crisis of faith, those who continue to feed on Jesus, who continue to believe, who abide in him, are his true disciples; the others walk away. This entire passage is about Jesus having "the words of eternal life," that is, the words, which, when believed, result in eternal life.. '

• 2 months later...

There was a strong emphasis placed on the eating of Jesus

• 1 month later...

In John 4:32 and 34 Jesus talk about 'to believe'.

In John 6, the emphasis is far to strong to be just a strong expression.

The Twelve were there when Jesus gave us the eucharisty.

True disciples behave like Jesus ask them: to take care of eachother.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly?

He really wants us to know what we must do, so He must say it so we know the importance.

What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus?

Belief....trust....faith.....maybe they still had their doubts but they knew Jesus was the Master and even if they did not understand completely, they would follow Him.

What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?

True disciples will hold to His Word and teachings and this will set them free in Christ Jesus.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly? It is vitally important that His disciples internalize their belief, "digest" it well and believe it with all their being so He uses this strong word picture.

What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus?The hearers observed and possibly sampled the truths before them, but they did not take it as their adequate and only spiritual nourishment and "eat" it as their food.

What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?A true disciple goes beyond belief to "holding" His truths.

• 2 years later...

Jesus emphasizes strongly believing because we must believe in Him and that through Him there is everlasting life, you must believe it to have it.  The twelve disciples knew and believed that Jesus was the Son of the true living God; those who did not turned away.  True disciples continue to abide in Jesus, they hold to His teachings, they know the truth and obey, and are set free from sin and death.

• 5 months later...

Jesus spoke in parables.  I believe those with a heart to follow our Lord would understand and have their ears and hearts opened.  The 12 that followed him and the disciples that turned away are different in that those who left only followed until they heard something they did not like or understand.  It is like separating the wheat and the chaff.    A true disciple is one who believes and practices what he believes in remembrance of Him.

• 1 year later...

Without belief in Jesus, we do not have a true strong faith that will carry us through out darkest times. We were never promised an  easy life if we believed in Christ. We are only promised that we will have eternal life. The twelve were hand picked by Jesus to be the ones to carry on his ministry on earth,. These men were going to be the ones that everyone were going to look up to for the best examples. The crowd that turned away were those that lacked the ability to maintain the pressures to keep the faith needed to defend their beliefs. They are the ones that lacked persistence in their lives.

True disciples are those people that believe in Jesus. They know his words and understand what his messages were. They know the truth. They understand the real meanings and they lived by those words. They lead by examples.

• 3 years later...

Q3. (John 6:53-71) If to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood is a strong expression for "to believe," why does Jesus emphasize this so strongly? What was the difference between the Twelve and the crowd of "disciples" that turned away from Jesus? What is the mark of true disciples according to John 8:31-32?

1. John tells why: 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

2. The listeners take his words literally and are deeply offended, as Jesus know they would. They believed he is speaking literally of his own flesh and blood.