JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Healthy Self-Examination and Introspection

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:28, 31) Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance? How can we conduct self-examination and self-judgment so that it has a healthy rather than an unhealthy result in us?

the balance can be found in recognizing where we have done good as well as recognizing where we haven

• 7 months later...
Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:28, 31) Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance? How can we conduct self-examination and self-judgment so that it has a healthy rather than an unhealthy result in us?

Let us consider the sacred intention of this holy ordinance, its nature, and use, and compare our own view in attending it and our disposition of our mind of it, and when we have approved ourselves to our own conscience in the sight of God, then we can attend. If we would thoroughly search and explore ourselves, and condemn and correct what we find wrong, we would prevent judgment. To be exact and severe on ourselves and our own conduct is the most proper way in the world not to fall under the just severity of our heavenly Father.

• 11 months later...

1 Corinthians 11:28, 31 - 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment.

I believe that we must be honest within one self.When I pray each day I ask Jesus to search my soul and reveal to me my sins. When I ask for forgiveness, I think of Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." As we examine ourselves, we must confess truthfully, and then let go or a saying that I have heard, "Let God, Let go". God will forgive if we open ourselves to Him and that should be release our anxiety. At that point, we will be able to "eat of the bread and drink of the cup".

• 2 months later...

We should not be neurotic people - so the examination of self should reveal the faults, failures, and errors with the intent that we become aware of them and do what it takes to become better. . .

By comparing our behavior in this self-examination to the will, purpose and plan that God's Word details for us - we can accept the fact that God loves us and His purpose is to make us better. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

We compare our behaviour and thoughts with the Bible.

If the Bible says it's bad, it's bad and otherwise it's good.

We better not look for things that might be wrong.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:28, 31)

Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance?

The Lord's Supper is a continuing reminder that there is forgiveness for the sinner and strength for the weak and weary. We are all sinners saved by grace, and we don

• 2 months later...

(1 Corinthians 11:28, 31) Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance? How can we conduct self-examination and self-judgment so that it has a healthy rather than an unhealthy result in us?

We do not need to be neurotic when examining ourselves or our heart...we are not in a race with someone else. This is a measure for us to look more closely at our actions, to really examine our heart, our motives. Are we living a life pure and devoted to the Lord Jesus....are we trying to come in a closer walk with Him by changing our ways?? God gives us these things as a way to look inward and be careful. Taking of the Lord's Supper is a Holy time and we need to remember why we are doing this...in remebrance.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:28, 31) Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance? How can we conduct self-examination and self-judgment so that it has a healthy rather than an unhealthy result in us?This self-examination is done periodically and not continually. That standard is set in God's Word which shows us clearly what sin is so we can discern between sin and human error.

• 2 years later...

I believe one can conduct a self-examination and self-judgement so that it is healthy.  First of all you are not comparing yourself with another.  You are looking inward at yourself discerning if you are following the scriptures and fulfilling the commandments.  Are you living and loving your neighbor as yourself?  Do you love the Lord you God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength?  Do you observe of Sabbath  Day and keep it holy.  Do you come to His Table with a pure heart.  One does not need to compare with any other.  These can be ask of oneself.

• 1 year later...

I feel that once we have confessed a sin and have received forgiveness for it, it is gone. We do not need to keep rehashing those. Each time we examine ourselves we are to look for those things that have not been confessed. And those are the things we need to repent for. We are only to judge our thoughts and actions. We are not to be critical of our whole self.  We need to remember that we are children of God and that he loves us. If God loves us, we have a lot of worth. We must remember that God does not create things that are unworthy to be called his children. Especially since he chose us to be his. To sum it up, we need to be critical of our actions not of ourselves.

• 3 years later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:28, 31) Introspection by a neurotic person can foster guilt and self-loathing. Where is the balance? How can we conduct self-examination and self-judgment so that it has a healthy rather than an unhealthy result in us?

1. The balance is to obey God. Be truthful about the situation you are in. That’s when God can help you.

2. Examine ourselves truthfully and be willing to get help and know if we are truly in the faith. Judgment by paying attention to ourselves only.      

Above all is: "Each one should test  his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load." (Galatians 6:4-5)