JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q30. Strengthening

Q1. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (B) Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think?

The concepts (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (B) Christ dwelling in our hearts are saying the same thing because when we accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord we become a new creature the Spirit dwells within us and strengthened the inner person and continues to dwell in our hearts. The two concepts are inseparable and distinct ideas but in agreement that the Spirit dwells in us in his fullness.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (B) Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think?

The concepts (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (B) Christ dwelling in our hearts are saying the same thing because when we accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord we become a new creature the Spirit dwells within us and strengthened the inner person and continues to dwell in our hearts. The two concepts are inseparable and distinct ideas but in agreement that the Spirit dwells in us in his fullness.

• 1 year later...

I think that being strengthened by the Spirit and Christ dwelling in my heart is saying two different things. The Spirit is attached to my soul where Christ was at one time a fully human and fully God but one time He was a person. So I can connect with Him better where the Spirit was sent to me by Jesus when He died on the cross.

• 4 months later...

I think the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, ( B) and Christ dwelling in our hearts are the same.  Paul essentially is praying that the work of the Spirit may continue to take place in forming Christ in our hearts, that is, Christ permeating our entire being; so that we may become more christlike.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (cool.gif Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think?

The concept of strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person and Christ dwelling in our hearts are separate. When we are born again Christ enters our hearts and we are filled with His love. We know He is dwelling with us because our faith and our feeling of His permanent residence. In acts of the N.T. many converts believed in Christ and His redeeming work he did for sinners. After baptism they were filled with the Holy Spirit, manifest by the outward display of the gifts. I know after I was born again I was not filled with the Holy Spirit until a later date.                                                                                                                                                         Because my faith may waiver at times, I know by the Holy Spirit that the Lord is still by my side, so to speak. He never forgets, fails or abandons me.     

• 1 year later...

To me, these two concepts are completely different things. But in the end, they come together to make a new person. The Holy Spirit, to me, is an indwelling part of my soul and conscious being. Some people might express it as a guardian angel, an inner voice that keeps them from doing wrong. This is a very inner personal thing. It is there for one purpose, to aid me as an individual.

Christ dwelling in our hearts is not only personal. It only helps us to love and appreciate ourselves, but it also aids us in how we view and treat the world. We are more open to our actions towards others. We shine of the love that Jesus had for the world. We treat others the way that Christ directed us to do in the bible. We show a love for God in all our thoughts and actions. So with both parts, we grow into a complete Christian with the love of God, and Christ and we love all people like ourselves.

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2006 at 10:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

No,

I think being strengthened by the spirit in the inner person is to be  strengthened to stand when we want to quit, to be strengthened  when we are fighting the good fight.

Christ dwelling in our hearts, is what we receive when we accept Jesus as our Savior, to keep Jesus there we must always keep his word in eyes, mouth forever.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q30. Strengthening
  • 2 months later...

Q30. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (b) Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think? 
I think they mean the same; as Pastor Ralph says “these are two ways to express the same truth”. Christ and the Spirit cannot be thus separated. When we as believers have the Spirit within ourselves we have Christ within ourselves, as is very clear from Romans 8:9-10, “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.” Christ's precious indwelling is through faith; and faith is full surrender to God in Christ. 

Q30. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (b) Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think?

The Holy Trinity-the  Holy Spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Lord God Almighty are three in one and live in me that is why I am the temple, their dwelling place.

Paul was speaking to gentile Christians who were suffering as well as concerned about Paul’s suffering. They needed comforting words, a bit of encouragement and the strength to go on. Paul, here, is letting them know that he’s praying for them – on his knees, in fact. He’s begging God to strengthen them and trying to assure these Christians that in spite of their suffering, God has the power to change their circumstances.

Earlier he had told them that in spite of his suffering, God would use it for glory, and the purpose of their suffering was to prepare or enable them to witness to others as well as the heavenly orders.  

Paul never explains why God uses suffering to prepare us, the reason for suffering.  

agree that the concepts of being strengthened by the Spirit and Christ's dwelling in our heart are equivalent, but think they may be separated in time. Strengthening is a process -- Christ's dwelling may be instantaneous.  I'm not sure. What gives me pause is that the first clause seems to be connected to the second by the "so that" which implies that the first CAUSES or creates the conditions for the second.

On 8/23/2006 at 10:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q30. (Ephesians 3:16-17) Do the concepts of (a) strengthened by the Spirit in the inner person, and (B) Christ dwelling in our hearts say the same thing, or are they separate and distinct ideas? What do you think?

I believe it is the same thing,  To be strengthened by the Spirit is God's Holy Spirit living in us. Knowing He is inside our spirit, we can commune with Him.  Our body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.  That also is Christ dwelling in our hearts by faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Our inner man is prone to inertia; the Eastern church fathers had a word for this 'noon day demon'.   Known as acedia. Control of the inner man can be a challenge!  We need the gift of the Holy Spirit to strengthen our inner man.   When the inner man is strengthen: faith, trust, humility, love, patience and the rest of the fruits of the Holy Spirit become realities.

The indwelling Christ exercises a constant power over our hearts.   Due to Christ, in our hearts we sense that blessed assurance, our wills are molded by Christ, our emotions are sweetened no more sour dispositions.  FAITH IS THE KEY ! It opens the door; we receive  Christ in all His fulness.   

How we need to be renewed day by day.   We are weak and the world, the flesh and the devil detour us at times.   That is why we need to have quiet time and diligent Bible study each day.   By faith, we rest in Christ and look to Christ as the Author and Finisher.  It is the "the hidden man of the heart" (1 Peter 3:4) that needs the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.  This way we can run In the way of God's commandments (Isaiah 40:31).

• 1 month later...