JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q42. Darkened Culture

Q42: There is a definite lack of conscientious thinking in our society towards right and wrong, good and bad.  Due to electronics, media, films and to those in authority, people at large have become desensitized and no longer show discernment in what is said, done and/or is legislated. 

We who are in Christ Jesus have allowed the Holy Spirit to invest in our well-being and what we might have once thought was 'cool' begins to fade, replaced by a renewing of our thoughts (mind) towards higher ideals in that we can see how some of our behaviours were dirty or thoughtless or vain or greedy and so on.

I am one who came to J.C. late in life so I can see my progression has gone from worldly perspective towards being a little more Christ-like and what I thought was ok then just seems plain unsavoury now. Before I would have said I was a reasonably good person, but now I see what a sinner I was and am, made less a sinner by being in Christ Jesus.  I did not  understand or know my ways were sinful until I started reading the Bible, about five years after I'd come to Him even though I was going to church. Now I read the Bible according to a plan almost everyday and on days I miss, I do a catch-up. This has lead to an explosion of understanding in what we are doing here and what God wants from us. I don't know all, none of us do, but His word is a goldmine of conscientious living and being one in Him. I am in Deuteronomy, Proverbs and John 1 reading a chapter of all three a day right now using an Elim Bible Reading plan. To grow, read the Bible and get yourself a reading plan.

The other question why we might want to conform to the values of the world today? I am an older person, so there are some things less tempting to me than say a 20-30 or 40 year old but in all and each of us, there are temptations our flesh wants and Paul rightly says it in Rom 7:15-20 (The Spiritual Formation Bible) he does what he doesn't want to do and what he wants to do he doesn't do.  We just have to persevere in Jesus in prayer and thanksgiving.  Also see Corin 10:13 God said he would not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear/manage. He is faithful and will uphold you. Blessings, Cathrine.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/4/2006 at 8:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q42. (Ephesians 4:17-19) Using Ephesians 4:17-19 as a basis, how would you describe (in your own words), the secular, non-Christian mindset of our age? Why are we tempted to conform to its values?

To them, God is out of the picture.  The only One that can give them real happiness.  They do what they want.  They think nothing of living together male and female without marriage.  Mostly, they don't marry.  Following Hollywood's example, and if they do, they go from one marriage to another.  They drink alcohol and take drugs to cover their troubles and sin.  But their sin begets sin and they really need a Savior.  The one they really need, they reject.  Everything is wide open now - homosexuals and lesbians want to be accepted in what they do, children even want to change their sex.  *********** is rampant on the internet and many become addicted but don't know it will destroy them.

We are tempted to conform because it is all around us in media, fashions, and life.  In the early days there were wholesome TV shows.  Little by little over they years they slowly brainwashed people in accepting their ways, seeing how far they could go.  If the Christian does not read, study, meditate on the Word, fellowship with other Christians, and spend time with the Lord, they will easily be pulled the wrong way and Satan is always there tempting us waiting  to steal, kill, and destroy the Christian.

'ERGASIA' is a Greek word for propensity or craft for sins.  They gave themselves to these sins as listed in this Bible portion.   First, Gentiles chasing shadows; their minds are full of frivolous ideas and useless activities.  Secondly, they are ignorant of God, God's plan of salvation, and the love of Christ.   They have despised the natural law and forsaken any Christain upbringing.  Thirdly, their hearts are hardened; they don't perceive the preciousness of Divine promises.  Their minds cannot understand spiritual and holy service.  They have callous attitudes and insensible to spiritual matters.  Lastly, they are full of lascivious essential, and aggressively pursue lives of immoral Behaviours.

We live in an immoral generation;  all over the media, the anti-christ spirit is prevalent.  In places of employment,  there are people not saved.  The unbelievers can sense that we are walking with God.  We are bearers of the Shekinah glory of God; so those who are not saved, will sense something different with us.  They will spue their filthy language at us; their bearings toward us are evil.  We as diligent Bible students stand our ground in the name of Christ Jesus.  We expose their false teachings and we cast down imaginations and every high thing that e alts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into Captivity EVERY THOUGHT to obedience of Christ.  2 Corinthians 10:5.  By standing on the HOLY BIBLE, the crucified and Risen  Christ, we defeat the world, the flesh and the devil. 

• 1 month later...

I would describe the secular, non-Christian mindset of my age is that if you can get away with it, you can do it. Our TV programs and our games encourage this type of thinking. It is even taught in our schools. Society has made it easy to conform to the secular world.