JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q64. Sharing our Faith

Paul wanted to be able to face whatever his enemies threw at him. He felt that he needed all the help that he could get to fight the battle that God has put before him. He wanted to be the warrior of the Lord. he did not want to fail in his mission. In this situation, the opposite of boldness would be a coward. We need to be able to take a stand for what is right. We can not sit back and expect everyone else to do the work.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2006 at 2:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 6:19) Why would Paul request prayer for boldness? Why is boldness necessary in war? What is the opposite of boldness? What happens if this is our accustomed life-posture?

So that he may speak the word of God.

So we may not give up and charge ahead.

Meekness

We must always come with boldness, even to the Throne of God, we must go boldly to the Throne of God with our request.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q64. Sharing our Faith
  • 3 months later...

Q65. (Ephesians 6:19) Why would Paul request prayer for boldness? Why is boldness necessary in war? What is the opposite of boldness? What happens if this is our accustomed life-posture? 
We should boldly defend our faith. We need to face the unbelieving world with confidence, knowing and believing all the promises our Lord and Saviour has made. We should be aware of our own weakness, and that we need divine strength, and guidance to fight this war. We need to be united to be able to effectively withstand any attack. We battle spiritually not only on our own behalf, but also on the behalf of others. We aren’t only concerned about our own safety, but to protect and to battle on behalf of others as well. We have to be bold in our prayers, and not meekly pray for victory. We cannot allow the devil to get the upper hand. We will never win the ‘good fight’ if we are timid and all the time on the defensive. 

Q65. (Ephesians 6:19) Why would Paul request prayer for boldness? Why is boldness necessary in war? What is the opposite of boldness? What happens if this is our accustomed life-posture?

Paul requested for prayers so that he would be able preach boldly to his captors.

Without boldness in a war situation, fear will make us to give up and retreat.

Some of us that are not bold like me, this is an encouragement for me to be bold and seek prayers from others to pray for me for boldness in my engagements in the ministry of God.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rather amazed that "in chains" Paul prays for boldness -- not to be released, not to have the chains removed, not for better food or fewer beatings, but boldness.

Although I admire his determination to witness to those around him, I'm horrified that God did not rescue him. All of the disciples, except one, were murdered. Where was God's protection, legions of angels, etc.? After talking about spiritual warfare, why couldn't Paul protect himself? Surely there's a spiritual aspect to his imprisonment, a demonic spirit. 

Boldness is necessary in war to both confound and overwhelm enemies, but Paul's boldness won converts at the cost of his own life, a suicidal boldness. Why didn't God rescue Paul? Surely, Paul would rather have lived a long life writing letters and dying naturally. Martyrdom, pain, unrealized prayer, suffering ... these things, in the context of spiritual warfare, are exceedingly troubling to me. 

The opposite of boldness isn't merely timidity, but defeat. A defeated attitude. Paul was still fighting, even in those circumstances, even though his (certain?) death looming. Perhaps he knew in his spirit that God would not rescue him, that his "fate" was to be brutally murdered.

I think, for some people, fighting is a life-posture. For some, it's a personality thing, a way they approach problems. My father used to tell me to solve problems "head on." That's a personality trait for him (he's an atheist), which I mostly inherited. If our natural or even learned responses can be turned over to God for His use, which I'm not sure about, than these people, natural fighters, have a one-up advantage in spiritual warfare. They want to fight. It's natural, or as Pastor Ralph puts it, "an accustomed life posture." Others have to be coaxed into battle. The timid ones. 

• 2 months later...

Paul knew that preaching the Gospel was was a gift.   He wanted the unction of the Holy Spirit; to give a message that was authoritative and would convert those that were totally against the Gospel.

He knew what he was up against.   Samuel was in a difficult spot as well; by God's grace he confronted Saul.   Samuel had to tell Saul the truth.   So we must be in season and out of season; we have to contend for the faith.    We may be criticicized and ostracized by family members;  we walk with Jesus Christ.  Compromise just leads to a shipwrecked faith.

Paul knew that preaching the Gospel was was a gift.   He wanted the unction of the Holy Spirit; to give a message that was authoritative and would convert those that were totally against the Gospel.

He knew what he was up against.   Samuel is in a difficult spot as well; by God's grace he confronted Saul.   Samuel had to tell Saul the truth.   So we must be in season and out of season; we have to contend for the faith.    We may be criticicized and ostracized by family members;  we walk with Jesus Christ.  Compromise just leads to a shipwrecked faith.

He knew what he was up against.   Samuel is in a difficult spot as well; by God's grace he confronted Saul.   Samuel had to tell Saul the truth.   So we must be in season and out of season; we have to contend for the faith.    We may be criticicized and ostracized by family members;  we walk with Jesus Christ.  Compromise just leads to a shipwrecked faith.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul is an ambassador for Christ and in order to do that he has to be bold or no one would listen to him. Boldness is necessary for war so that we keep on charging even when things look bad. The opposite is to wimp out. If we are bold then we will be effective in spreading the Word.