JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 1. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I am no poet, but this is for my King. Paraphrased Psalm 8. Enjoyed it even though don’t know whether I did justice to the original translation. Truly appreciate the work of Bible translators.

Ah Lord God, the heavens and the earth magnify Your Name

They declare Your glory, splendor and majesty with their might

Nursing infants and children have built a palace of praise with their songs 

Causing the enemies horrified and too shocked even to react in revenge

I marvel at Your exquisite craftsmanship displayed in the heavens above

Your handiwork is exposed in the night skies adorned by the moon and stars

Awed by the beauty of it I wonder, how is that we are so precious to You?

That You look upon the son of man with such tenderness and love 

Coronated as kings with glory, we are a royal diadem in Your hands 

Even though we are inferior than the angels and the divine

Yet, it it to this man, that You gave rulership and dominion over Your works

Making all things that Your hands created to be under his feet

Whether it be domesticated sheep or oxen or the wild animals in the field

Or be it the flying birds or the swimming fish or the sea creatures 

Truly the fame of Your name fills the earth in glory and majesty

•  

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2007 at 1:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

This is easy....all week I have been singing and praying "O Lord our God how majestic is your name in all the earth...."  Michael W. Smith's song expressing Psalm 8.

It has been my companion and prayer both silently and aloud.  I plan to teach it to seminary students I will be teaching/sharing the Psalms with early 2020. 

• 3 years later...

For the exercises, I chose exercise 5, 4 and 2 for the Psalms 8, 19 and 139 respectively. Writing my own version, Paraphrasing and writing out the Psalms lead me down such an intimate path to see God in all His love, majesty and glory concerning a world and people He loved so passionately. To think that a God so great could love us so much even when we were His enemies is mind blowing. Every detail of creation displays the infinite love of God, and such detail is undeniable in how God blew His breath in man, sent His son to die for us and multiplies creation by fearfully knitting us in our mother's womb. my heart is humbled and surrendered on a new level.

Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy name!!!

• 2 months later...

In this difficult season of life, I've been searching for answers, thinking deeply and writing far too much! Somewhere I read that more prayers are answered when we pray God's words back to Him. This seemed like a good idea. God's words are not supposed to return void.

Though I'm afraid of putting God to the test, last weekend, I started praying God's prayers back to Him, inserting my specific circumstances and asking Him to do today what He has done in the past.

I prayed Psalm 86, a prayer for help.

"Listen to me, Lord, and answer me, for I am helpless and weak ... loyal to you. You are my God so be merciful to me ... Listen, Lord, to my prayer; hear my cries for help. I call to you in times of trouble because YOU ANSWER MY PRAYERS ..."

I am waiting for Him to answer my prayers.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Lesson 1. Exercises