JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 1. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

PSALM 109: 5

And they have rewarded me evil for good and hatered for love.

There was an old man who loved to sit in the park. He had come to the same bench each day for over 15 years. in that time he had spent many hours talking with children, teaching them bible stories and games. in simpler times, they had adored the old man. Now it seemed they treated him with contempt and made fun of him. They no longer flocked to sit at his feet, and he was lonely for bygone times. Each time a boy or girl hurled an insult, he closed his eyes and asked God to forgive them. No matter how they chose to treat him , he would always love the children.

There are many kind and loving people in our world who are treated terribly. They offer nothing but goodness , and they receive evil in return.

Our elderly population has much to offer us, especially to the children. We need to teach our children to reach out and receive the treasures they hold. To ignore them is the worst kind of cruelty. To a group who has worked long and hard to provide what is good and lasting, we need to extend the hand of fellowship and love.

GOD REJOICES WHEN WE REPAY GOOD FOR GOOD AND LOVE WITH LOVE.

PRAYER

If I have hurt anyone this day, Lord, help me to make amends and do better in the future. Let me repay no one evil for good, or evil for evil, either. Let my response always be one of love. Amen.

Psalms 1

1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

a good man only associates with people like himself so that he will not pick up bad habits and can live a life that is pleasing to his God and bring joy to those around him.

He enjoys doing good for others and making them feel better and good about themselves

He is strong in helping those around him and he is always trying to find ways to help others.

Exercise...Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I took Psalm 8 and rewrote it using names of places and people in my daily life. "You have set Your glory above Madison. From the lips of Jade and Kendall You have ordained praise..."

It was so cool seeing the Psalm personally. Not a dusty story from an age old book, but rather, my God cherishing me personally. It's one of those things you always know, but suddenly it just felt more real. Cool exercise.

I can truly say that most everyday I live in a psalms, I quote a psalms, sing a psalms and I stand on the psalms many times.

Right now, I am standing on Ps 23 and how He leads us, walks with us, prepares a table in the presence of our enemy.

That He is taking us from death to life and He is showing us His loving kindness and how His goodness and

mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives and we shall see Him in all His glory not just in heaven

but here on earth.

Many times I use a psalms to minister to someone with and teach them to live by the written word in

the psalms.

Ps 119 is one to meditate upon and to write on the tables of our hearts. This is for all that read my answer here and my wisdom to you. Just as we are ask to do in this exercise. Teach and preach the word night and day and to tell how important it is to, "Love The Lord with all your Heart, Mind and Soul. To Live By His word all the days of your life and you shall in His house forever.

Praying Psalm 8 Heavenly Father, it is a joy just to say your name. You are my personal God and it

That our Heavenly Father is larger than we can ever imagine. Nothing is beyond our God. We are priveledge to be a little lower tan God. Yet above all other living life. Christ teaches us the ultimate sacrifice of love. By knowing the outcome before becoming man. Christs love for us is beyond ones comprehension. Christ is awesome. Wow. how can we ever fully repay God, Jesus Christ? Our responsibility to do our best 0to reach ou\r goal. To be like Christ, To live and walk as Christ did. To love ourselves as well as everyone else. To share our love openly with all. Not just particular fellow beings. To share Gods words,teachings to all. To be respectful,honoring, caring,loving,sharing of our Father. We must reach out to others just as Christ did for you and me and all mankind.

I read the psalms that we are studying to a shut in friend and when I told her what I wanted to do, she said she was not sure if she beleived or not! Really caught me off guard and I talked with her for some time about His Plan of Salvation, the Roman Road and told her what it takes to get to Heaven and she interrupted saying that she was a good person and always obeyed the Commandments etc., but I told her the only way to Heaven is thru Jesus Christ and then I re-read the 3 psalms and we looked to the Heavens to marvel at His work and then she told me to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did I do? And what do I do next?

Our choir does an anthem on Psalm 8 and it is one of my favorite anthems. Gives me goose bumps every time we sing it.

When I gaze into the night sky, and see the works of your fingers. The moon and stars suspended in space. What is man that you are mindful of him, and the Son of man that you visitest him?

Oh Lord our God you have created man a little lower then the angels. And have crowned him with honor and glory. Taking the form of a servant and becoming like men. B)

I chose to paraphrase Psalm 139.

My Lord you know me and have searched my heart.You know my thoughts and every word I speak. You are acquainted with everything I do. When I look to the future,you are there.When I look in the past,you are there.And yet,your hand is on me.

This is too wonderful,it is beyond my comprehension. There isn't anywhere in the whole universe I can go that you are not there. Always your hand leads me while your right hand holds me.

The darkness does not hide me from you. Darkness and light are the same to you.

From my mother's womb you have had your hand upon me.

I know in my very soul how fearfully and wonderfully you have made me. Praise your Holy Name!

Before I was formed,my members were written in your book.

Your thoughts are so precious to me,My God! There are more of them than I can count. I know you will do away with the wicked,O God. I will not keep company with them for they speak evil of you and take your name in vain. I am grieved by them and count them as enemies.

Look into my heart and search it,know my thoughts and if there be any sin,purge it and lead me in the way that lasts forever with you.

I read the psalms that we are studying to a shut in friend and when I told her what I wanted to do, she said she was not sure if she beleived or not! Really caught me off guard and I talked with her for some time about His Plan of Salvation, the Roman Road and told her what it takes to get to Heaven and she interrupted saying that she was a good person and always obeyed the Commandments etc., but I told her the only way to Heaven is thru Jesus Christ and then I re-read the 3 psalms and we looked to the Heavens to marvel at His work and then she told me to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did I do? And what do I do next?

What did you do? You allowed God to witness through you. You did what God told you to do, and as you did, he did his part. He brought conviction in her heart. What do you do next? You pray for her, and watch and listen for God to show you the next step.

Lord, thank you for how you have used Molly in this way. Thank you for her obedience. Thank you for the conviction you have brought to her friend's heart through this. Please continue to shine your light into her friends heart. Water the seeds that were planted. Help her friend to see that the God who created all the splendor of heaven came to earth and died on a cross so she could be forgiven for all her transgression against this great God. Help her hear and see you speaking to her everywhere she turns and to feel your gentle love drawing her to yourself. Every time she looks out the window at the sky, help her remember our creator, and what she and Molly talked about. Help her to realize that she can never be good enough to earn eternal life, that you sent your Son to the cross to pay the price to free her from her sin that keeps her from you. Help her to say yes to you, to ask you to forgive her sin, and to trust you to to be her Lord and Saviour. Amen.

Molly, I have some vision problems and have skimmed through and not read many of the posts here. But yours caught my eye, and I want to encourage you here. Perhaps at some point you can visit her in the way you usually do, to take food or whatever. Give God time to work, but keep the door open. I'll continue to pray for her and you also.

Hugs to you,

Lois

Just to be honest I have failed to memorise any of the Psalm, because to me all mean alot to me.

When I think of the greatnes of God and How Hw wonderfuly Mage I give Him all The Glory.

LET THE NAME OF GOD BE PRAISED. AMEN AND AMEN..............

What did you do? You allowed God to witness through you. You did what God told you to do, and as you did, he did his part. He brought conviction in her heart. What do you do next? You pray for her, and watch and listen for God to show you the next step.

Thank you Lois for your encouragement. The more I thought about it last evening, I began to have a warm feeling come over me and I know it was the Lord encouraging me also. Then this morning I read your reply and it truly made me feel good. I was so devestated yesterday to think she would not listen, but I know now that He DID use me to bring conviction into her heart. Thank you again Lois! Love to you my friend! :rolleyes:

Lord, thank you for how you have used Molly in this way. Thank you for her obedience. Thank you for the conviction you have brought to her friend's heart through this. Please continue to shine your light into her friends heart. Water the seeds that were planted. Help her friend to see that the God who created all the splendor of heaven came to earth and died on a cross so she could be forgiven for all her transgression against this great God. Help her hear and see you speaking to her everywhere she turns and to feel your gentle love drawing her to yourself. Every time she looks out the window at the sky, help her remember our creator, and what she and Molly talked about. Help her to realize that she can never be good enough to earn eternal life, that you sent your Son to the cross to pay the price to free her from her sin that keeps her from you. Help her to say yes to you, to ask you to forgive her sin, and to trust you to to be her Lord and Saviour. Amen.

Molly, I have some vision problems and have skimmed through and not read many of the posts here. But yours caught my eye, and I want to encourage you here. Perhaps at some point you can visit her in the way you usually do, to take food or whatever. Give God time to work, but keep the door open. I'll continue to pray for her and you also.

Hugs to you,

Lois

Off and on for years I have used the Psalms as a guide for prayer so I decide to make that my exercise for this week. I also am in the process of reading through the Psalms and Proverbs each month so my focus today was on Psalms 26-30. My prayer this day was from Psalm 27:4-5 "One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high uon a rock." I also spent time praying Psalm 28:6-7 "Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped"and 29:11 "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace." How my heart sang for joy and what comfort came to my soul when these words became my personal words to my precious Lord and Master.

~My Hiding Place~

Heavenly Father,You are my Hiding Place,I run to you.Only you can hide me from my enemies,whom try and swallow me up like the waves of the ocean.The darkness surrounds me,yet you are the light I see before me.Heavenly Father ,narrow my pathway to where I will not stray far from you.When I stumble and fall to my face on this desert pathway, crocus burst into bloom in my face.I smell the sweet smell of flowers,and the splendor of my God.His gentle hands picked me up.I am in His Holy Presence. His voice, is like a small breeze,speaking to me,"I AM,your Hiding Place".

Psalm 19

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;

the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

2 Day after day they pour forth speech;

night after night they display knowledge.

3 There is no speech or language

where their voice is not heard. [a]

4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,

their words to the ends of the world.

As I thought about Molly and her friend, I thought about these 4 verses. Molly was faithful to share with her mouth what God has already shared to her friend with his creation. What a shame if we allow the heavens God created to be a greater witness than he has commissioned us to be. So for my exercise this week, I wrote this.

Lord, help me declare the glory of God and proclaim your work. Help me to be as faithful to witness in the place you have set me as the heavens are in their place. The voice of the heavens reaches the ends of the world. Yet this is the very thing you commissioned us to do in Acts 1:8. You said, "you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." In Romans 1:8 you said that your heavens are enough so that men are without excuse. But in your love, you sent us too. The heavens may be able to convict us of our unworthiness and sinfulness before such a mighty God. But you knew that they are helpless to tell of the Saviour who paid the price to set us free from our sin, so you sent us. Thank you for saving me and letting me have a part in your work. Please help me to not let the heavens put me to shame. Help me be faithful to share the Saviour with those in the ends of the earth that you have sent me to touch. Amen.

Molly, I also read your response to my note. When we're convicted of our sin it is hard. We want to run. God knows how to bring your friend home. We'll keep praying. I'm glad the Lord warmed your heart and encouraged you.

Lois

When I finished reading and studying Psalm 19, I remembered an older song that I used to sing when I first became a Christian which was written from verse 14: "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and redeemer" and so I sang the song several times through the day but don't know who wrote the melody for the song. I also looked up the scriptural references for Psalm 19 in my church hymnal, and then sang one of my most favorite hymns, "All Creatures of Our God and King" based on Psalm 19:1 (and Psalm 148:13 according to the hymnal). I love singing the Psalms in worship and praise to our glorious living Savior but have gotten out of doing this for some time now (except in church worship services); but I want to get back into developing this as a habit of mine and it is also an excellent way to memorize Scripture. Also, I've been making the Psalms a little more personal to me by praying the words of the Psalm and making them personal by using the pronouns "I" and "me" instead of "you" and other pronouns when the Psalmist was referring to himself in them.

I have really been blessed to see how God is blessing you all in this exercise!

I had memorized Ps. 139 a long time ago, so I have decided to get back in, meditate on, and re-memorize it. This obviously is not a week's worth of work, but I know I will be blessed as I "chew on" Ps. 139 and be reminded of how special I am (you are) to God!!

I chose to paraphrase Psalm 8. It wasn't easy but I'm glad for the "stretching". ;)

God, Sovereign, your excellent name is over all the earth

Your presence flows beyond the heavens.

You give babes and toddlers strength over the enemy

and might over the avenger.

The night sky reveals the exquisite detail of the works of your hand.

I wonder how you notice man at all;

How can you glance past the beautiful stars just to see me?

On earth, the son of man is more lowly the angels

yet you crown him with glory and honor.

The son of man has authority over the works of your hands.

Everything is under his feet -- it is his territory to walk upon!

His territory covers the animals on land even to the planet core.

His dominion soars above the height of the eagle's wing in flight.

His reign plumbs the depth of the seas and its secret paths.

Your name is excellently proclaimed throughout the earth.

I have put off answering because you all have answered so beautifully, and I feel so inadiquite. I pray that you can all forgive me, I feel that if I don't praticipate then I might as well not taken the study.

The Light

O my Father, my heart aches, the beauty of your world is to great for me.

Like a lighthouse I try to stand tall and shine.

The stormy seas lap at my feet, I feel I might crumble.

I shine my light all around looking for you, with fear,

The other side is written on with grafitie,

and hit with stones trying to tear down my walls

then I cry, where is my father?

I hear a whisper in the breeze,

Be still my child, I am with you.

As My beacon light is raised, and shines outward.

There you are, you have turned me around, and lifted my eyes upward

There you are, in the diamonds that shine in the sky at night.

There you are, in the stormy seas to cleanse me.

There you are, in the people who surrounding me are seeing a brighter light.

I pray that you will help my light grow brighter,

I pray that you will help my light grow stronger,

I pray that you will purify my light,

I pray that you will lead my light to be warmer and more inviting each and every day,

till it is time for me to come home, where my heart longs to be.

I love you my Father with all my heart

In Jesus name I pray, Amen

I have put off answering because you all have answered so beautifully, and I feel so inadiquite. I pray that you can all forgive me, I feel that if I don't praticipate then I might as well not taken the study.

The Light

O my Father, my heart aches, the beauty of your world is to great for me.

Like a lighthouse I try to stand tall and shine.

The stormy seas lap at my feet, I feel I might crumble.

I shine my light all around looking for you, with fear,

The other side is written on with grafitie,

and hit with stones trying to tear down my walls

then I cry, where is my father?

I hear a whisper in the breeze,

Be still my child, I am with you.

As My beacon light is raised, and shines outward.

There you are, you have turned me around, and lifted my eyes upward

There you are, in the diamonds that shine in the sky at night.

There you are, in the stormy seas to cleanse me.

There you are, in the people who surrounding me are seeing a brighter light.

I pray that you will help my light grow brighter,

I pray that you will help my light grow stronger,

I pray that you will purify my light,

I pray that you will lead my light to be warmer and more inviting each and every day,

till it is time for me to come home, where my heart longs to be.

I love you my Father with all my heart

In Jesus name I pray, Amen

Hello As I was wondering what I wanted to do I came across a old Hymn of Praise song book from the forties and found this responsive reading that I paraphrased .

Responsive Reading from Psalms 19

Leader: The heavens declare the glory of GOD

The visible sky show his handiwork

People: Day into day utters a speech,

and night into night shows knowledge.

Leader: There is no speech,nor language

Their voice can not be heard

People: Their message has gone out through all the earth and their words to the end of

world. In them he has built a tent for the sun

Leader: Which is like a bridegroom coming out of his bedroom and rejoices as a runner

would winning a race.

People: His beginning is from the end of the heaven and his ending at the end of the earth

and there is nothing hid from the race itself.

Leader The law of the LORD is right, restoring to the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure,

touching even the humble.

People: The rules for moral conduct are rightm exsulting the heart; the commadment of the LORD is

pure, imparting knowledge to all.

Leader: The fear of the LORD is real, enduring forever: the judgements of the Lord are true and

righteous for ever

People: More to be diesired than gold, even fine gold.

Sweeter than hone and the honeycomb

Leader: By them you are warned , and in keeping them there is great reward.

People: Who can distinguish between good and bad? Free me from hidden faults.

Leader" Keep me fro presuming sins, Let them not have control over me: then will I eb perfect and I

shall be rid of great temptations.

Leader and people: Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to your

sight,O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

:rolleyes: For the experience I chose to Write my own Psalm. I did not stick to the old testament Parallel ism 's but will try that some time

soon. I just wrote from my heart.

Lord , awakening to the beauty of the morning is inspiring

The sunlight sparkling off the dew; and the sunrise speak of your wonders.

They show the beauty of your works.

Lord you meet me where I am at each day.

Yes when my path is not straight and I wander in wrong directions.

Your Spirit guides me gently back to your straight way.

Lord , I thank you for your Grace; Grace and strength you supply.

Yes your strength to go forward,even in difficulties and disasters.

Yes you strength is comforting.

Lord just Thank you for being you. For being near when I am lonely.

Yes lonely, wandering and questioning.

You are like a beam of light giving comfort and direction.

Your goodness God , I feel

Your kindness and Love , I cherish.

Your direction and correction, I need and seek.

So that I can walk in Your Way and walk in Your presence.

I bless you and thank you and Pray to stay close

Lord lead me close to you Please , And stay by my side.

It is hard to be original in making up a psalm but I game it my best effort. I am still going to work on one that uses the

parallelism but I found it takes alot of time and effort... I will share it when I get it done.

Am really enjoying this even after just one lesson!!!

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others

I read all three of these Psalms (8, 19 & 139), to a group of senior citizens as a part of a praise, prayer, and worship service. All three of these Psalms reflect the glory, majesty and joy of knowing the God of creation and asking for His involvement in our life. This group of senior Christians felt the same thing. I think that the people of God throughout time have rejoiced in the joy, awe and mystery of our relationship with God Almighty, both as He reveals Himself in creation and in the His written word.

It was exciting to lead this group in praising God Almighty and acknowleging His awesomeness, holiness and love for us. It was exciting as people expressed their joy in what God's word meant to them and how it has affected their lives.

This experience causes me to Praise God for the opportunity as Pastor to preach, teach and lead people in worship to the living God.

Psalms 8 speaks of God majesty in all the earth. I looked at God's creation, the green grass, the multi-colored sky, the ferousness of a coming storm, the beautiful flowers in the Spring & Summer, the heat index, and remember the deadness of Winter. Talking with a friend i shared about God carring for every bird, flower, seasons, and clouds. I feel infantasmily small while God is so majestic He knows every hair on my head. With God I feel small, but am actually I am His Child which makes me stand tall, eyes afront, and walking briskly for I know why I was created.