JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 3. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=662

Jon Psalm 3

Father I thank you for showing me through your Word

The right and the wrong

The good and the bad

I thank you that I choose good over evil

Right over wrong

Father thank you for taking my sins away

For washing me clean, with the Blood of Jesus

For making me righteous

I thank you that I choose your way

instead of the worldly way

Father thank you for sending Your Son, Jesus Christ

Who knew no sin

Who died for me, a sinner

Thank You Father

I love you

I adore you

I honour you

I worship you

Amen

I always find it such an honour to praise God through the writing of these Psalms. This is all very new to me but I love it. I never know what is going to come out or what the end result is going to be. They may not be literature classics but they are from my heart, to God. :D

• 1 month later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Paraphrase of Psalms 133

How wonderful it is that the body of believers are knit together by our love for God.

We are covered by His love flowing among us, I am saturated!

In it comes refreshing, blessings and life.

• 3 weeks later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

In meditating on Psalm 1, it came to me that while we often express that we know God is ever present. We can easily be distracted by the evil perpetrated in the world. There are good things in store for the person who sees the wickedness all world but does not become consumed by it or participate in it. We are to be in the world but not of the world. Good things are ins tore for those who do not seek knowledge from the wicked. There is a way that seems right unto man but the gift of God is eternal life.

To walk, stand or sit with the wicked implies a sense of comfort in their midst. Blessed is the man or woman who can devote their time to studying and seeking to understand how he is to live

and reflect the character of Christ.

God has a place for the wicked.

• 3 months later...

Exercise.

For one of the psalms in this lesson - or another psalm with a similar theme - do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I have memorized Psalm 15. I think it is a good reminder of righteous living. There is so much more in each of the psalms that we have done. One cannot just read them, I

• 2 weeks later...

1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. 4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. 5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

Great is the reward for anyone who avoids agreement with pagans, sharing in their sins, or joining in their rebellion. The man of God, however, finds great pleasure in the word of God which is his continual food for thought. Like a tree planted by the brook, he bears fruit at the right time but never withers. He succeeds in everything he does. On the contrary, evil men are like chaff that disappears into the wind. These evil men will not share in the judgment or find a place among God's people. The Lord will protect His people, but those who persist in evil will be doomed. (My paraphrase)

I enjoyed paraphrasing this psalm. It helped me see it in a new way and opened my eyes to see more clearly the sharp contrast between the wicked and the righteous.

• 11 months later...

Studying the psalms of Lesson 3 have given me the grace to exercise some of the instructions given in Psalm 15. I have made a reflection of my own life and how I have followed these insgtrctions. Again and again I read Psalm 1 which shows us the paths the righteous take and the great reward that comes in walking a bleameless life. I read aloud the psalms in my prayer and called my friends and meditated on these psalms. Also tried to understand a deeper meaning of the psalms by making a study on them. Sang and learnt several hymns containing the verses of the psalms we have already learnt. I am trying to stay in unity with all around me and avoiding gossip in my mouth. Psalm 15 is a eyeopener to me and I am trying to live it this week!

God bless all who are doing this study

Psalm 1, 15 and Psalm 133 gave me real insight into the word of God and helped to apply the instructions given in my life. Unity leads to greater blessings. This study helped me to keep my tongue pure to sing praises to God and avoid speaking wrong things about others but bless and pray for others. This made me to worship God joyfully through out the week. i chose to delight in God's word and keep away from all unrighteous ways.

A careful meditation of the above psalms helped me have a closer walk with the Lord this week and help others to walk in his paths!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I paraphrased Psalm 1.

Psalm 1

Blessed are they who follow You. Lord

And meditate on Your word daily

For they do not hang with sinners

They choose the path of righteous living.

They shun the way of wicked

They are like a firm oak tree

That has been planted by a river

That will never run dry.

They are always ready to answer

Why they are full of hope

For God is their hope

In God they do trust.

The wicked hope in themselves

Or in things of the world

Which the winds blows away

And the time passes by.

The wicked will crumble at the judgment seat

For God knows the working of the Godly

But the wicked perish daily.

I have decided to paraphrase Psalm 24.

Oh God everything in heave n and earth are yours

All creation and all mankind belong to you

You created the earth with all the water

And set man in it

Who can come to your temple?

Who can climb up the hills?

Only people who are righteous

And who have the right motives

They don’t tell lies

They do not worship false gods

You alone saved them

And you will grant favor on them

You will reward them

Because they worship and serve you

The God of the nation Israel

Open the doors and let Him in

For He is magnificent!

Who is he?

He is Adonai, our mighty warrior!

Open the doors of your heart

Let Him come in

For He is wonderful!

Who is this king?

He is Adonai.

The all-powerful one!

• 11 months later...

Psalm 1

O how happy is he, who does not see himself in the company of the mockers of the things of God. This will ensure him from receiving counsel from such whose very company would rob blessings and erode happiness in his life. He delights in His Law to glean principles and precepts for righteous living and find pictures of our Lord and Savior whereby he is drawn closer to Him. He will chew on the Word and ponder on the Word to absorb every nutrient from it.

And as he delights in the Law he shall be prolific and productive all the days of his life. Even in seasons when there are no bountiful loads of fruit produced, his leaf won’t wither. To all those who sink in their roots of their soul deeply into the rich soil of God’s Word, there will be fruitfulness all their lives. It will be like they were planted by the rivers of water, whereby their roots will be never dry. Because sinners are blown away by changing winds of culture, they won’t be in the company of those who are saved. The godly man who meditates in the word is happy, but the ungodly man will perish ultimately.

• 4 years later...

I pulled apart several psalms that dealt with a theme that is troubling me -- God's promises -- to create a list on my desktop. Notes under each promise are short, but hopefully as time passes, more understanding will result. Before I started this study on the Psalms with Pastor Ralph, I begged God to not only show me promises that could potentially be for me, but also how to claim those promises.

I have a long way to go.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Lesson 3. Exercises