JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 69

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

•  this song of Lament ends in hope and prayer because the poet his hope in the salvation of the Lord. Who sings - but as for me... Oh Lord in an acceptable time, oh God, in the multitude of your mercy hear me in the truth of thigh salvation. With this hope that he has just sung the pole is able to continue in Hope and praise. In the same fashion when we are broken and feel low we can pray to the Lord and He will restore us. It is necessary to approach God in our request knowing that he will only answer our prayer in his time, and his grace and in so doing we will be restored by the loving-kindness of the Lord which is good.
  •  

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On August 18, 2007 at 11:04 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

Once we have poured out our hearts.....in my case it is more like pleading/complaining........God then speaks to us and gives us the seed of hope.  I always have to remind myself to thank him and perhaps the Lord wants to hear more of my affirmations to him than my complaining.  When we praise God we are affirming our faith in him that all things will work out according to how he wants them to work out.  Praising is significant, because the more we praise, the more we are intuned to God's greatness.

• 9 months later...

I believe the reason all laments in the Psalms end with hope and praise is because the psalmist meaning David was a man after God's own heart. He knew how to worship God during times of trouble. Even when he lamented he always remembered that God was His source of hope to begin with and that he should praise God for the victory even before it happened. It teaches us that we should be thankful and learn to praise God and have hope in God for He answers our prayers. Praise is essential because through it we express the fact that we believe that God will help us and also answer our prayers. 

I believe that this lament and others ends on a note of praise because they feel unburdened and have a renewed faith in God; after pouring their hearts out to Him. They know and understand that praising God will bring them out of their misery. Their burdens are lifted and they feel closer to Him. It also shows the ones who read them that there is still hope that God is still near. He wants us to tell Him everything. Only then can we start to feel lighter and be able to worship Him again.

I believe this teaches us that like David and others we can trust God with our problems. We can pour out our hearts to Him and know He will take care of it. Then, once we have told Him; we can begin to feel closer to Him. Our hearts will no longer be heavy and once more we will be able to sing and praise God. Because our hope will be restored and our faith will be strengthened once we give it all to Him.

I believe praise is important because it lifts our spirits when we are discouraged. After we have told Him all our troubles we need to start praising Him for who He is and what He has done so far for us. It helps us remember that God can do anything and that He is on our side. It helps us get our minds from our problems and helps us focus on Him. The almighty, powerful, awesome God that we serve. When we remember that no problem is too difficult for God and that He will help us like He promised.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

We are to hope in the Lord. Hope is the absolute expectation of coming good. It is when we know that God will bring the good which He has promised in our lives, that our hearts will be filled with faith to face the challenges that come across our way. The definition of faith in Hebrews 11 is, Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. And when the assurance of what He has promised fill our hearts, the automatic response is praise. As Christians, we are told to walk by faith and not by sight. When the Psalmist turns his eyes upon the Lord, in a bleak situation his hope is risen up and praise fills his heart. That’s why the laments end with an upswing of hope and praise.

Our greatest need is not to be informed, but reminded. That’s why this psalm and other psalms remind us to fix our eyes on the Lord. Our God is bigger than any problem we face. He’s bigger than our trials and nothing is insurmountable to Him. We need to constantly remind ourselves of this and then we are able to lift up our eyes to Him from where our help comes from. He is more than sufficient for us.

When I choose to praise Him whatever my situation around be, I am expressing faith in the One who is more than enough for me. It not only uplifts me, but the things around me become less important to me. Bible says, He inhabits in the praises of His people. When He inhabits, His presence is there, and in His presence, the mountains of my problems will melt like wax. Lord, teach me to more and more praise You.  

• 4 years later...

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? 

• By now, the Psalmist would have experienced God’s deliverance through a repentant heart of praise and thanksgiving. In David’s lament of the soul, his spirit is quieted thereafter when reminded of God’s goodness and mercy in times past. 

What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? 

• This teaches us that while we as humans experience life’s pain that causes us to lament, our prayers must reflect pureness and thankfulness to God for His everlasting mercy, extended to us, even to our enemies. Here I pause to think of the scripture that it is God’s will that no one perish but that all people come to repentance. 

Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

• Everything about praise to God communicates, trust in God’s deliverance/timing, also communicates hope that God will make good of that which was intended to devour us. The one who trusts and hopes in uncertain times partners with faith. 

• 1 month later...

I suppose there are psychological reasons for believing optimism and praise are better than a more grounded or realistic view of one’s circumstances, but there are spiritual reasons for praise which seem to run counter to those of the world. God asks us to look to and at Him in time of suffering and away from the dire circumstances in which we are mired. In a way, we are asked to be other-worldly, not this-worldly, to put to the side the pain and horror in our lives and try, try, try to look upward, toward heaven, where God sees and loves all.

This is extraordinarily difficult to do when suffering. It can be done, though. Just recently, after having heard still more horrible news, I was sobbing and talking to God as I drove, oblivious of the people driving near me. As I poured out my heart to God, begging Him to end the horror of all that was unfolding, after about an hour, my lament turned to … praise. This wasn’t the roll-in-the-aisle, happy-clappy sort of praise, but praise done with a sigh, resignation and submission to His sovereignty.

Not all praise is the same.