JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Psalm 80

Our Father in Heaven we give you all glory honor and praise for You are our loving God. we stand in need of your mercy and pardon for our sins that has led us away from Your loving presence. You are a good God - slow to anger and abounding in love. we repent and turn back from all wrong ways and from paths that have been displeasing in your sight. we humble ourselves in your mighty presence. Father restore unto us all that we have lost through our disobedience against your will and plans. Show your mercy and kindness and grant us joy and peace of heart and mind. Thank You Father, by your love and mercy we are saved and we glorify Your mighty Name for making Your face shine upon us.

Repentance of sin, humility before God, spending time with God through prayer True commitment to follow his ways and plans, Obedience to the Word of God and obeying the Voice of His Holy Spirit and elements that are required for personal or congregation revival.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving Father - forgive us, have mercy on us. your mercy is new every morning and you are a faithful God. Remind God of his goodness - his love and compassion and ask the Lord to forgive to restore and to revive - bring back to life.

first one must acknowledge the sin or wrong doing - one cannot cover their sin or mistake or error or guilt by some outward ritual or penance, because God desires a broken and contrite heart. The heart must acknowledge and accept the mistake and make a strong decision not to sin or make that mistake again this is true repentance. one cannot take God for granted and ignore / forget his mercy and goodness. God knows the heart when he sees a truly repentant and forgiving heart completely surrendered to do his will and more over when he sees his Holy spirit - then he answers from heaven and he will restore and revive his people.

• 2 years later...

We have fallen so far Lord please help us to get out of this rut. We see evil and do not say or do anything about it. We are on a continual down spiral and we can’t seem to want to go to you for our help.

The prayer in 2 Chronicles 7:14 are exactly what we need. My problem is that we have managed to fall farther then the people during Chronicles time.

• 11 months later...

Q5. (Psalm 80) If you were to formulate a personal prayer for revival for your own life or for your congregation, how would you word it? What elements should be present in a prayer for personal or congregational revival? What would this prayer have in common with 2 Chronicles 7:14? How does this kind of prayer pave the way for revival and restoration to take place?

Our desperate need for God. Without God we are nothing, we cannot do anything apart from him (John 15:5).

Our need for humility and a contrite heart.

Our brokenness before God.

Our need for repentance

God raise us up, heal our spiritual lives, take us back to our first love (Revelation 2:4)-the love we had for you when we first knew you.

Use us God, Show us how to be obedient to you and follow you.

The above is a similar pattern to the passage in 2 Chronicles 7:14.

• 5 months later...

I believe that i would follow the blueprint of Psalm 80.,First I would acknowledge who God is and only he could restore me. I would then acknowledge my sins and failures and ask God to forgive me and extend his mercy  instead of his judgment. I would recount how I have failed God and ask that God restore me into his presence and give me a heart that would follow him only.

The elements that should be present in a prayer for revival are humility, repentance, forgiveness and praise. 

This prayer would have a lot in common with the prayer of 2Chr. 7:14. First of all it would be a prayer from God's child who has humbled himself before God to seek his face and repent of his evil ways in order to find healing. 

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Psalm 80) If you were to formulate a personal prayer for revival for your own life or for your congregation, how would you word it? What elements should be present in a prayer for personal or congregational revival? What would this prayer have in common with 2 Chronicles 7:14? How does this kind of prayer pave the way for revival and restoration to take place?

2chr 7:14

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways,mother I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Dear God, I am sorry for making you a religion. A religion of disagreement and dissatisfaction.  I  want to make apologies for all those in our church for making you an object.  Not enough of us have truly seeked you out.  None of us have actually turned to you while we grapple with with our lowering numbers and deciding how to discipline our you loung kids.  Come to us Holy Spirit, listen to our questions and requests.  Forgive us for. It coming to you enough.

amen

• 9 months later...

Yeshua, You are the reason that I have salvation and redemption from my sins. If there is any sin or darkness inside of me, shed light on it and show me where it is that I may repent of it. I want to be pure before You and holy as well. Revive me Yeshua according to Your lovingkindness and mercy. For through Your blood I am made clean from my sins Yeshua. For You are the Sacrifice Lamb who was slain on a cross at Calvary. Without You, Yeshua Atonement for my sins would not be possible. Yeshua I know that You are my Redeemer and Savior and You saved me from my sins. Yeshua You are only one who can cleanse me from all of my unrighteousness. 

It would have the humility and confession of sins in common with 2 Chronicles 7:14. 

It paves the way for them by humility and confession of sin. 

My prayer for my own personal revival would be like this.

Oh God, Abba Father! I need you and I recognize that I have strayed away from you. I repent of my sins and my willfulness and hard heartedness. Forgive me Lord I do not want to be separated from you anymore. I am broken and I realize I can do nothing without you. I cannot be holy and live in sin. I fall on your mercy Lord. Revive me again and cause me to renew my first love and restore me I pray.

I believe that humility, repentance and brokenness should be present when people are seeking revival. Whether individual or congregational, people need to admit they are hopeless on their own and they need God’s help to turn their lives around. There is no room for pride in a prayer for revival. We must be like the humble tax collector and ask God to forgive us of our sins and not be proud and arrogant like the Pharisee. True repentance or turning away from your sins and former way of living is required. You cannot have two masters. You cannot love God and the world. People also need to be truly broken in spirit to pray for revival in their own lives and in their church. They need to know that true change will not happen unless they let go and let God take over. Until we admit that we can do nothing without Him; that all our attempts are useless and vain. Until we surrender and admit our helplessness and let Him take over and be Lord of our lives. When we are at our wits end and realize how sinful and willful we are then revival can happen. When we seek His face, and want to do His will.

This prayer has the elements of humility and repentance that 2 Chronicles 7:14 has when King Solomon prayed for Israel.

I believe this kind of prayer paves the way for revival because we are putting God first in our lives and in others. We are seeking for revival and we are willing then to do whatever God requires us to do to have revival in our own lives and in our churches.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Abba Father, stir up our spirits that we may be drawn closer to You. Lord, let there be more intimacy with You. You alone satisfy us and in You alone we find fulfillment. Lord, let our eyes be fixed on You and when Your eyes are running to and fro to show Yourself strong on behalf of those whose heart is set on You, You will see us and bless us with Your presence. It is only in Your presence that there is fullness of joy and we want to rejoice in You always. Lord, everything that is contrary in our lives that is grieving You, reveal to us, and help us to forsake them that we may be a people who are set apart unto You, to worship You in the beauty of your holiness. Lord, give us a humble and contrite spirit so that You will always be magnified in our lives. Do it Lord for your glory. In Jesus name we pray.

There should be humility, confession of sins, repentance, obedience and submission to His revealed will.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says (written from memory so could be paraphrased) If My people who are called by My name, shall humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and heal the land. So this speaks of humility, praying and seeking His face, repentance. Basically these are necessary for praying for revival.

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, but is long suffering, not willing that any should perish, but all should come unto repentance. God, will never cast away those who come to Him with a sincere and repentant heart, but will embrace them close to Himself and give them a destiny in Him.

• 4 years later...

Q5. (Psalm 80) If you were to formulate a personal prayer for revival for your own life or for your congregation, how would you word it? 

• Oh God purge my heart to be thankful and repentant in all things. 
  • Sovereign God of righteousness and truth, restore my mind and thinking to Your wonders and faithfulness. Creation never ceases to proclaim Your wonders and faithfulness. By Your great strength, may I never cease to adorn You with praise and thankfulness my King.
  • Oh God as an individual and people, may our eyes see Your glory around us day by and glory in it. 
  • May we never forget Your wonderful works and might, for even in the pit Your glory shines bright for the groping soul. 
  • Let truth, faith, love and humility be strands of gold and precious stones that adorns us from within. 
  • May the light and glory of Your delivering hand, mercy and grace, find savour among us, to lead captives out of captivity as Your kingdom comes to the earth through our brokenness and yielding. You oh God are my delight and King forever. Amen. 

What elements should be present in a prayer for personal or congregational revival? 

• faith, humility, contriteness of heart, love 

What would this prayer have in common with 2 Chronicles 7:14? 

• Like the scripture, this prayer is a call to humility, confession, repentance, seeking God’s heart wholeheartedly.

How does this kind of prayer pave the way for revival and restoration to take place?

• This kind of prayer channels the heart of the believer to seek revival beginning from within one’s heart. By this prayer, we are constantly reminded that the change must begin with the ‘me’ individual (as opposed to a ‘them’ way of thinking steeped in pride). Humility beckons us to work on ourselves first ensuring that we live repentant lives. As individuals, we must always take responsibility for the projection of sin in the world. Only By this will we truly ignite change and restoration. Scripture says judgment begins in the house of God. 

• 1 month later...

Charles Finney, in the waning years of the Second Great Awakening, wrote a book about revival which I have on my desktop. It begins with this quote: "O Lord, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy." Hab 3.2

When I went to look up this verse in more modern translation (NIV) it was quite different than the verse above:

"Lord, I have heard of your fame;
    I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord.
Repeat them in our day,
    in our time make them known;

in wrath remember mercy.

(Finney's book is a great read, by the way. I had downloaded it for free off the internet. Here's the URL: https://www.ccel.org/ccel/finney/revivals.html. Finnay claims that most pastors expect revivals to occur in churches every five to 15 years. I find this difficult to believe.)

--

Anyway, a prayer for revival is a prayer for God to repeat what He had done before. Such a prayer assumes that revival and apostacy are cyclical and that an individual/church/nation is now approaching a period of revival. Revival, then, recovers something lost or dulled.

--

Can we ask God for revival or is this something that mysteriously happens because it's in God's inscrutable plan? Perhaps revival may begin with the prayers and behavioural changes within Christians but end as God alone acts.

Finney stresses human responsibility. As with the 2 Chronicles verse given by Pastor Ralph, praying for church and national revival begins by acknowledging how far we have slipped off our past scriptural and spiritual foundation. Then, once the past has been recalled and understood to be better than the present, Christians should desire to return to their former spiritual closeness to God, to be revived from their current listless state. If this desire is sincere and heart-felt, then Christians must search their own hearts to weed out any sins that may have prevented their individual closeness to God ... they must confess and repent. 

This is the human part of revival (recollection, desire to change, repentance and actually changing on an individual basis). It is individualized. God coordinates our individual "revivals" and extends them as He sees fit.

We initiate, He responds.