JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 46

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells." (46:4)

The notes talk about fabled rivers (in the bible) that bring peace refreshment and life (Rev 22:1-2, Psalm 23:2). Perhaps it is a picture of the presence of God-the Holy Spirit (John 7:37-39).

John 7:37-39

Life and refreshment in time of trouble provided for believers. In the city fed by the river there is peace, outside there is chaos and disorder (46:5-7).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I see in this Psalm is prophetic of what is coming on the earth, for us who believe we can find refreshing in the thought of that life giving stream in the city of God.

Be still and know that I am God has stilled my heart during times of turmoil in my life. Acknowledging that He is in control and if we trust Him it brings peace in the storm.

• 4 months later...

The image of the river and stream reminds us that no matter what rages around us there is a quite refreshing safe place in God's presence. 

The only way to have true peace is to rest in the knowledge that God is in control and as God's child I can have the confidence to know that God only wants the best for me. Knowing this gives me the ability to remain clam no matter what is going on in my life. I trust God to deliver me. God's command to be still in the face of difficulties seems to be a request beyond of control. But God knows that to be still is the only way we can focus on him and enter that safe place. If we are not still we are involved in the difficulty around us and we forget to turn to God.

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:52 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

Currently I am able to walk my dogs daily along the river.  Watching th fish jump and birds sit along the river's edge is calming.  Just sitting along a stream bank and watching the waters flow quickly and quietly is a calming influence.  So the very image of streams within the Bible evokes that same calmness.  It is almost as if the flowing water is washing the anxiety away and helps to slow me down and think.  Therefore, Be still and know that I am God" tells me to calm myself, talk to God wait for his answer.  Do not react in anxiety and go about solving the problem myself.  Do not and speak my mind,mthunk about the response and use my words to reflect Jesus.

• 9 months later...

The imagery in verse 4 tells us that the river is a place where we can find rest for our souls. It is a place where God can be found and He can calm our troubled souls. He lives there and one day so will we. When we focus on the fact that God can be found there then we can learn to trust Him to take care of us. God dwells there and this should make us glad. It should refresh us and sustain us even amid trouble.

If we know who God is then we need not be afraid. God is with us, the Almighty powerful one. He is omnipotent and all-knowing and no one can stand against us. We cannot fail when He is on our side. Because He never fails us and is always with us to help us. Within the city there is peace because our God is there. We can trust Him to work it all out.

If we really believe this then we should be able to rest and leave it in His hands. Because He is the one who gives us peace that surpasses anything we know; even during trials and adversities. We can be assured He is on our side. Our words should reflect that we know and believe He is with us and will help us. Because he is on our side we can say that we can do anything with Him. We can speak boldly and confidently and cease being anxious.

He commands us to be still so that we can think about who He is and that He is on our side. When we really stop and ponder it we realize that we have nothing to fear or worry about. God is with us and He will take care of us and we should stop worrying and let Him be in charge. He knows all about what we are going through and He will come to our aid. We need to stop worrying and start praying more and let God take over and we will see victory.

According to Adam Clarke’s commentary it talks about the City of God which is Jerusalem and the tabernacle of Most High God were gladdened since it was not destroyed. It talks about being converted to the faith and worship of the true God as means of being made glad. (Clarke, A. 2015) It speaks peace to someone by telling them that they can trust God to give them peace during their troubled times and help them see that they need to trust God at all times. It affects our peace by realizing that He is God and He is everything all we need in our lives. Nothing can stand against us when God is for us. We should speak positive words believing that He will do what He says He will do. He commands us to be still as a result of this knowledge because we are always busy and not paying attention to Him and always doing the talking in our prayer and not listening to Him when He wants to talk to us. He wants time to respond to us.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Even though situations around us are chaotic and filled with turmoil, the river and streams in verse 4 function to speak peace in the midst of troubled situations. Rivers speak of serenity and calmness. He has promised that He would give us peace like a river. Peace of God is something that passes our understanding. It cannot be explained but to be experienced.

God does not make mistakes. If He has spoken something, He will surely bring it to pass. He may not reveal all things to us, for His thoughts and ways are higher than ours. We may not even understand what His purposes are. So He commands us to be still and just trust in what He is doing. This should result in peace settling in our hearts. And our words would be faith filled rather than fear filled. Knowing that our God is more than able to bring to pass what He intends to do.

• 4 years later...

I've lived near oceans, rivers and streams and have found streams to be most peaceful and comforting. The constant, gentle babble of water over rocks ... quite lovely, really. I think of Elijah sitting by Cherith, a small brook that sustained him for years as he waited for God's next directive. He listened to that babbling brook night and day. That must have been a comfort.

Peace isn't easy in times of great suffering, pain and mental turbulence. When life is horrible, being still is 'nigh impossible. Yet God commands the impossible. He demands inner peace. There is a point, however, where God Himself has to intervene. He has to bring the peace that the sufferer cannot grasp. He has to supernaturally intervene. 

Though there are rough times of life when circumstances are painful and disappointing, there are also crisis times when everything collapses within and peace is illusory, when one's stomach tightens into a knot and jaw clenches with fear. And yet, God commands us to be still at just these times because we should be seeing Him as the little gurgling stream, not the devastating earthquake near the sea. 

The self is bifurcated. Within oneself there should be peace while outside the self is turmoil and danger. This is because the Spirit is within us. He resides in us. The problem is this: in times of great suffering and fear, it's almost impossible to locate that peace inside of us. It feels as if God is commanding us to do the impossible, to make ourselves peaceful and faith-filled in a crisis. 

When we're beyond the point where we can rest in Him and find peace, God must take the initiative. He as to bring us to a point where He can give us peace. This isn't a mind-game in which we control our thoughts, but His supernatural gifting of peace. Peace could come no other way.

After commanding us to be peaceful, God then commands us to know Him as God.  This is the problem and crux of the matter. As we get to know Him, our trials increase.  His way of sanctification and knowledge is suffering in trials. Our suffering intensifies as we age in Him. Yet His Peace often comes after the suffering, less during it. When we survive another bout of the crucible, we learn peace in retrospect. We learn to claim peace in the earlier, less intense stages but in the stage of suffering we're currently in, peace is caught up in the painful struggle to believe in His character and purposes, to know Him still deeper. Thus peace is always just out of our grasp. Unless He intervenes directly, peace is impossible. 

I pray for such comfort now, for His direct intervention, for peace.

x