JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 46

The imagery of the river and stream elsewhere in the Holy Bible is of the Holy Spirit flowing out of the throne of God and filling us believers up with Himself, and even over-flowing within us as the Holy Spirit fills us. One of attributes of the Holy Spirit is the giving of peace in our lives (one of His gifts to us) and this is exactly what He brings to us as we believe and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for the eternal life He gives to us. Even though at times we can allow ourselves to be harassed and harried by the world, such as at work in this secular society or at other times, in relationships, etc., we can still know and appreciate the inward peace in us that only the Holy Spirit brings to us, and as we grow in the knowledge and wisdom of God

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

Sitting by a river and resting is a wonderful experience. The sound of the water going by has a calming effect. When life becomes too rushed and ragged we can sit by the river and rest. I also think of the river of life flowing down from the Father above, and knowing that He is in control.

Sometimes we need to be still and reflect on the greatness of God. He is great and awesome. He loves us and will move heaven and earth to come to our rescue when we cry out to Him. To know God and to know His greatness, and to know he loves me brings me peace. I don't have to have all the answers and solutions - God has all that. I trust HIM.

• 2 months later...
Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person?

Divine grace granted to us through our Redeemer, like a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells, yields refreshment and consulation to believers. This is the river of life, its not affected by tornados, or hurricanes, or storm that buffets us seemingly sometimes on all sides, but remain placid, smoothly flowing, giving never failing nourishment, to all of those who drink forever.

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace?

We should look to past salvations to know That God is Lord. Knowing that he has been our deliverer in ages past, and is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble, means that we can sit still , be calm and in perfect peace as we await with patience on God for our safety and protection.

How should it affect our words?

Knowing that God is with us, and what he has done in ages past, we should be wise and silent, knowing that we are under the protection of a God in covenant who is not only able to help us, but through honor and faithfulness to His promises will help us.

Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

As much as we might like to sing praises of God's great and marvelous works, God does not need us to boast of His power and might. He is our Soverign Lord, who can and does great things and will be exalted among the nations and in the earth. " Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, let your glory be all over the earth. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens, your faithfulness reaches to the skies (Psalm 57: 11, 10)."

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person?

Still waters make us feel peaceful. God offers peace to us in our times of trouble.

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace?

God is Love. His Love surrounds us when we seek Him.

Our words should be full of praise and thanksgiving.

If we aren

• 1 month later...

IN THE MIDST OF THE CHAOS IN HIS LIFE, DAVID SHIFTS HIS FOCUS TO GOD, AND SEES THE STILL WATERS WHICH SOOTHES HIM AND BRINGS REFRESHING TO HIS MIND AND PEACE TO HIS SOUL.

KNOWING HIS CHARACTER, OR KNOWING WHO HE IS , IS VERY IMPORTANT IN ORDER TO HAVE PEACE IN TROUBLED TIMES.HE IS ALL POWERFUL, ALL MIGHTY, HE IS THE AUTHORITY AND NOTHING CAN WITHSTAND HIM.

OUR WORDS SHOULD BE FILLED WITH PRAISE AND ADORATION FOR WHO HE IS AND FOR HOW HE GIVES US HIS PEACE EVERY TIME WE'RE GOING THROUGH THE STORMS OF LIFE.

BECAUSE WE KNOW WHO HE IS, AND THAT HIS CHARACTER NEVER CHANGES, WE CAN BE STILL AND TRUST HIM,HE IS A VERY PRESENT HELP IN TIMES OF TROUBLE, IF WE'LL JUST HOLD ON TO HIS UNFAILING PROMISE.

• 1 month later...

I think the help from God is different from the help from someone else. God's help is available to anybody, for any kind of trouble, any time, and anywhere. The poet has used a metaphor to describe and explain God's help. It is repeated in vs. 7 and 11: fortress. It is like a castle where you will be safe when the enemies come to attack you. God is like a fortress that protects us from all the troubles that surround us. The word "refuge" is also used (vs.1) with similar meaning. We are familiar with the word "refugee", which means someone who seeks refuge or protection

Revelation 22:1

And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crys

tal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Do you have this river running through your life?

Pax

• 4 weeks later...

Psalm 46 is an immensely, almost frighteningly, powerful poem describing God's sanctuary offered to his people in the endtimes.

The imagery of the river and streams in verse four, baptismal salvation from reckoning, is an holy oasis in the middle of the psalm, resting in the middle of it as the holy water described rests in the middle of the city of God. Surrounding the river/streams/godly city/tabernacle images, images of peace, are images of strife and violent movement: a cataclysm of apocalypse, mountains falling into the sea, the earth being removed, roaring waters, shaking and swelling mountains, raging heathens,shifting kingdoms like earthquakes, the Lord melting he earth with his voice, "the desolation he has made in this earth" by his wrath at evildoers and idolators.

The baptismal river is God's, and the Christ's, a refuge and strength in the middle of apocalypse, "a very present help in times of trouble." (verse 1) As believers who love God, and accept Christ through baptism in the river, we become onlookers of this destruction, protected beholders of, and not participants in, the endtimes. We are still and peaceful in the middle of fury, God's fury as he obliterates human tools of destruction ( the bow, the spear, the chariot) and brings peace to us.

The Lord of Hosts is with us, David tells us twice, the God of Jacob is our refuge. Full of wrathful motion as He smashes wicked nations , He is paradoxically our unmoving constant, our eye in his storm, the holy river.

We are protected from his wrath because he has showed us who we are and what he is as well. We are not to be afraid. We are to be still and let what will be, be.

• 1 year later...

God's river is the continual flow of His grace, glory, and power in the midst of His faithful people. This pure life giving river flows from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It flows from the throne of God and consantly refreshes believers, both those on earth and those in heaven. The most significant blessing of the river is that it brings God into the midst of His people. The knowledge of knowing who God is that we can quit holding on to things that keep us from exalting God and giving Him His proper place in our life. We can put Him first and fore most in our life. Our words should be words of worship and praise. We are to be still so we can know who God is, so He can speak to us, to draw us close to Him so we can rest in His peace.

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge? The clam clear water runs from our Heavenly Father to His Son and to use, it brings us the reassurance that God is there aways and we need to be still and let God be God we are always in a harry to move, do something before we communicate with our God through Jesus Christ his beloved Son. Just knowing that if we only be still He will do what ever He said He will do. We just need to learn to listen to His voice that will guide us through what ever may come our way. He is with us Always.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person?

ANS - It speaks of the presence of the Holy Spirit which fills us, as "springs of living water", refreshing and renewing us with His peace, His comfort, and power for every day living.

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

ANS - He is the master planner of all things, and all lives. He will be the master of our life as we allow Him to be the Lord of our life in all areas. As we slow down and quiet our hearts, meditating on Him, He will remind us of who He is, and the power, joy, renewal, and strength He has for us.

• 1 month later...

1. Streams can look so calm, so peaceful. They provide water and rest. They can make you calm.

2. If we know Him, we can trust Him and feel safe.

3. What can we say in His presence?

• 3 weeks later...

The refreshing streams that flow in "the city of God" is at our resources to take. We can be refreshed in the presence of the most high when we still ourselves. Even through turmoil. knowing that God is with us, nothing can stand in our way for peace. Knowing that God is it, the authority he has in the world that is his, creator, powerful, mighty, everlasting, being on the creators side is overwhelming and honoring. Also it brings peace to my soul, knwoing that he of all creation and person, is on my side as well.. I should not speak of fears and worries when I know that God has everything in control. Not to spiritualize everything and not to give the devil so much power in this world that I can't do anything about. God will push all that aside. Our minds and flesh can take us on a tour of fear if we don't hush it up and allow God to take the wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

PSALM 46:2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.

This beautiful rive is a place of tranquility in comparison to the violent foaming waters of the sea. Putting our trust and hope in this calming force is a great advantage for christian minds.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

There is much evidence to the magnificence of God and his creation/s around us. He knows and and reigns over all, let his name be exaulted in our minds and be heard from our mouths!

The image of a river/stream invokes a place prepared for me to be refreshed, cleaned, have my thirst quenched in the midst of the hub-bub of life. It is a place where my God awaits me, a place where he beckons me to cast off the burdens of life and come and rest with Him. Even though I know He is with me always, in the confusion of a busy life, I often miss His presence. He has anticipated this in all His great wisdom and begs me to take time to simply be in his presence there by the peaceful river.

• 3 months later...

Rivers are cleansing. Rivers are life giving. Rivers are refreshing. Rivers flow from a significant water source such as a spring and travel to the ocean, a much larger place where there is more life. We feel relaxed as the 'river' washes over us, calming us and revitalizing our senses. God's spirit and anointing can sometimes be compared to a river where we are washed clean and saturated with His presence. This is refreshing and calming as we know that God has given us the strength and anything else we need to face the situation on our hands.

When we know God, we get a bit of an idea on how God works. It affects our peace in two ways, it can build it as we have faith in Him to be with us, or it can slightly disturb it, if we do not trust Him completely.

We need to be still so we can just sit with Him and 'hang out.' Imagine trying to build a relationship with your best friend when you are so busy that you can't stand still and your mind is so occupied that you can't have a decent conversation.

• 2 months later...

It speak peace to a harassed and harried person by that their is a river or stream that flows from us to God and this is the holy spirit that flow from us to god and he is in the midst of the river and that whenwe are harassed or harried we can call on the holy spirit that flow in us all the time this is that river.

It let us knnow that when we are in trouble or when we are not sure of a direction to go or an answer we have to give we are to stand still and wait for God to give us our way to go and what we are to do.We are to tell the person or tell our self that I have to be still and wait on the God.

Because If we are not still we can make a lot of bad chooses.

• 4 weeks later...

Stillness, life giving, a sustainer .

Because God is with me I don't need to fear, I can rest in His care.

I should only speak life and having it in more abundance.

Because we can be influenced by what is going on around us.

• 3 weeks later...

The visual of the river and stream paints a picture of a reposing, refreshing flow

of fresh water that will quiet the spirit. The knowledge of who God is affects our peace because I know that if God is handling a situation then I don't need to fear the outcome. God commands us to be still because he know that if we're anxious that we won't trust. But, if are still and listen then God will lead on the path of righteousness.

• 2 months later...

A4. Psalm 46

It shows a God that will take care of us. The picture makes us feel safe.

Our words should come from a peaceful heart.

The knowledge that the helper of the harassed and harried person is the most powerful being does bring some peace.

To be still in our heart, so that the life inside of us is pleasant and does not harden us. So we can stay moral.

• 2 weeks later...

The river and streams of verse 4 reminds the overly busy individual that rest and refreshment can be found in Christ. I find that knowing that God is God and I am not brings me great peace. I don't need to try to be in control of my life. My words can be measured. I don't need to let my frustration come out in appropriate language. He commands us to be still so that we can learn to rest in Him.

• 6 months later...

I love the sound of water. It's a peaceful, happy, soothing sound. So for me, I can close my eyes when I read those words and feel calmness and peace. I can sit by a stream or a river and feel trouble and stress flowing away in the water as it goes down stream. Streams are for beauty, and refreshment, sustenance, and cleansing. No flood tide in those words....just gladness as they flow out from God our Source.

Thirty eight years ago when I was told I most likely had cancer, and had been told by my Mother that I would die of cancer, the Lord appeared to me in radiant light, so much brighter than the sun. I had been crying and almost sick with terror. I had only recently accepted the Lord, and had no knowledge of Scripture. I was in a church which had no ministry outreach, so no one to call. Suddenly, there was the Lord in my presence and He said "Be still and know that I am God.", then before I could run to Him, he was gone. I felt like warm honey or oil had been poured over me, inside and out. (Then I realized He hadn't said "You don't have cancer", and I was afraid again, but not as before. The next day the diagnosis was "No cancer". I realized He was saying "Whether there is cancer or not, TRUST ME...I AM GOD. Cancer is just a name, and My Name is greater than any name that can be named! I am in complete control of all that concerns you!"

Words are powerful...for life or for death. For blessing or for cursing. My words are to be filled with His words, His love, His promises. Instead of speaking and focusing my problems, I'm to speak what He says about it!

Be still....cease your fretting....stop trying to figure out what is too much for you....commit the problem to my care and let me work it out! When I let go, I let God! Stillness reflects that I've moved into faith and rest, and am no longer striving in self effort.

• 4 months later...

Psalm 46:4- There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God. A clean flowing river gives a image of calmness, coolness and great peace. when we sit by a river side and allow our dip our feet in its cooing waters we feel refreshed and our minds are revived. In the same way when we enter God's presence with praises and begin to sing and adore the mighty and living God - His presence fills our hearts and minds, our souls are refreshed in God's presence and we are filled with great peace of the Lord Almighty. To a harassed and troubled soul - God's presence comes like streams and the soul is gladdened by the power of His Holy Spirit.

Be still and Know that I am God- the very words provide a great relief to our souls that we can lay down ourselves at the Lord's feet and we are filled with great peace that we have a great God who calms the roaring seas and also is able to calm all troubles of our life. when we are filled with this peace that our God goes before us and fights all our battles - the words that we speak are full of faith and full of confidence in Yahweh God. we are able to say through our words-- GOD IS REFUGE AND MY STRENGTH, MY GOD IN WHOM I TRUST.

When we are filled with this Knowledge that God is able, God is mighty then we only need to wait on God and worship Him and allow God to act on our behalf as we remain calm and rest in God's presence.

In Psalm 46 :4 the image of a river and a stream signifies peace in the midst of a trial. It reveals that God is able to give us great peace despite the turmoil. God is in control of our lives and He can and He is able to deliver us out from any trouble. It signfies the calm sweet presence of God when we dwell in Him. The river also is the Spirit of God in us which flows in us giving us peace. It is rest for the soul though we are physically weary.

The verse Be still and know that I am God is a word of command form the Lord. When we sail through the troubled waters the Lord comes and commands Peace and asks us to be still. There is nothing we can do but put ourselves in the arms of our Father who asks us to be still and know that He is our God our Maker our Helper and He will take charge . This word brings great calm and peace to my mind right now .. that God is mighty and able .. All i have to do is trust Him and praise and worship Him. i am able to rest in the presence of God by thanking and praising Him.

Because of this assurance I am at peace,my soul is at rest and I can speak words of peace to others too.

God commands us to be still because He is God and He will deliver me out of every trouble when I seek Him with all my heart

• 2 years later...

I think that the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 can calm that harassed and harried person by the flowing of the water. To me it is always peaceful when I am near a stream or river.

If we know God them we know that he is all powerful. We can dump on Him anytime that we want to. Our words will always be praising God because we are at peace with Him.