JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Resting in the Lord

I believe it means to cease from all activity and just rest in His arms and listen to His voice and what He has to say to you. But then again I could be wrong. Another way to rest in God is to rest from worldly activity and do something for God too.  When I have things coming against me and I need to seek God’s peace I listen to Christian music and start worshipping God to get out of my poor me mindset.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

I believe it means to trust in God and not to worry nor fret about your circumstances. Trust in Him just like a child trusts in a parent. We are no longer demanding and insistent but patiently waiting on Him to come through.

We know that He will take care of our needs and protect us from harm. We know and believe that Jesus our shepherd will defend and keep us from harm even with his own life; because he already died for us on the cross. He will rescue us from bad situations or messes we have made and restore us. He will abundantly provide for us and shower us with blessings because He loves us.

We can be at peace because he will never leave us and He will comfort us in hard times and calm our souls. Even on our death bed we can be at peace because we know we will go to heaven and meet Him there. While we are asleep we can confidently know that God is watching over us. We can rest knowing He will protect us. We can be at peace because God knows the future and what is in store for us. He knows what we can handle and He will help us; and with Him we can do anything.

Because God is with us we can be confident and full of faith instead of being fearful. Because we know that God is all powerful and nothing and no one can stand against Him. With Him beside us we can be victorious and be on the winning side. We have nothing to fear and we can rest secure in knowing that He is in control. We can rest in Him because he is our shelter and our strength and He will not fail.

Even though there may be problems and troubles that bother us; we can rest and know that He will help us deal with them.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

Resting in God is trusting Him wholeheartedly knowing that God is in control. We can either take control of the situation, but then that would be pride and self-reliance. It would ultimately result in failure. But God is all knowing and sovereign. He is seated on the throne. None can short-circuit His purposes for us. If we are going through dark times, it could be that God is about to do something explosive and powerful and we are being prepared in the process. God hasn’t forsaken us, He is simply preparing us. So rather than work up with our efforts, we need to rest in Him and the peace like a river shall flow through our hearts. This learning to trust in Him will not happen overnight, but with developing intimacy with the Lord, knowing that He has the best for me, and will do the best for me.

I remember reading a story about what it means to experience peace of God. Many artists were called to depict peace of God on to a canvas. Finally the judges selected two paintings. The painting which got the second prize was unveiled. The painting portrayed a serene atmosphere, with streams running amidst a green valley with fluffy, white sheep grazing on the meadows. But when the prize winning painting was unveiled everyone gasped in wonder. It portrayed a very chaotic, darkened skies with lightning and thunder. Trees swaying because of the turbulent winds. But in the midst of all the turmoil there was a mother bird in her nest sleeping. She was under such peace in spite of the turmoil around. That’s what peace of God is all about. It is absolute trust in the Almighty, knowing He is in control of all things.

• 4 years later...
On 4/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, Lottie said:

I believe it means to trust in God and not to worry nor fret about your circumstances. Trust in Him just like a child trusts in a parent. We are no longer demanding and insistent but patiently waiting on Him to come through.

We know that He will take care of our needs and protect us from harm. We know and believe that Jesus our shepherd will defend and keep us from harm even with his own life; because he already died for us on the cross. He will rescue us from bad situations or messes we have made and restore us. He will abundantly provide for us and shower us with blessings because He loves us.

We can be at peace because he will never leave us and He will comfort us in hard times and calm our souls. Even on our death bed we can be at peace because we know we will go to heaven and meet Him there. While we are asleep we can confidently know that God is watching over us. We can rest knowing He will protect us. We can be at peace because God knows the future and what is in store for us. He knows what we can handle and He will help us; and with Him we can do anything.

Because God is with us we can be confident and full of faith instead of being fearful. Because we know that God is all powerful and nothing and no one can stand against Him. With Him beside us we can be victorious and be on the winning side. We have nothing to fear and we can rest secure in knowing that He is in control. We can rest in Him because he is our shelter and our strength and He will not fail.

Even though there may be problems and troubles that bother us; we can rest and know that He will help us deal with them.

These are wise words. Words I needed to read. Thank you, Lottie. God will neither leave us nor forsake us. I will never be alone. In horrible times and circumstances, He remains inside of me. No matter what happens, He will never leave me. I keep telling myself this ... reminding myself that I am not alone.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, Rosesam said:

Resting in God is trusting Him wholeheartedly knowing that God is in control. We can either take control of the situation, but then that would be pride and self-reliance. It would ultimately result in failure. But God is all knowing and sovereign. He is seated on the throne. None can short-circuit His purposes for us. If we are going through dark times, it could be that God is about to do something explosive and powerful and we are being prepared in the process. God hasn’t forsaken us, He is simply preparing us. So rather than work up with our efforts, we need to rest in Him and the peace like a river shall flow through our hearts. This learning to trust in Him will not happen overnight, but with developing intimacy with the Lord, knowing that He has the best for me, and will do the best for me.

These, too, are wise words. Thank you Rosesam for writing this! Yes, God is sovereign. He will be a very present help in time of trouble, a refuge, THEREFORE I WILL NOT FEAR. God doesn't say He'll make me into a superwoman, but will be very present inside of me, where the Spirit lives, as I go through this trial.

I find it both amazing and comforting to know the Spirit is inside of me. He is present. And he promises me His strength, not to increase mine, but to give me His -- God is my refuge AND strength...

Thank you both.