JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

Remembering how God has delivered you in the past can bring joy to your heart knowing that He will deliver. Experiencing a sudden fast flowing dry gulley is an example how God can turn things around quickly. The sowing is our part in what needs to be done and God gives the reaping. We pray expecting along with continuing to do what is necessary on our part and God takes care of the rest.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

The nation of Israel, the people of Israel have always had something and great to remember and in the remembering they are strengthened by the knowledge of the things that God has done for the people in the past. One of the greatest events in the history of the people of Israel was their deliverance from Egypt where they were slaves. This experience was the defining event in the life history of the people. Time and again in the Bible various writers where there may be psalmists, historians or prophets they remind the people of what God has done for them in the past and what he can do in the future. There'll be another great events such as the return of the people from Exile in Babylon.

Although the metaphor of sowing  is somewhat weak because usually when one goes out to  sow one goes with joy and expectation. I am speaking with experience as a farmer. However the poet here is trying to make an example; an example where the reaping is soul joyful. No doubt there is a great contrast in the Mount of joy which one has in reaping a good crop and that of sowing where there is a chance of crop failure.

Our church is in a low point in its Church cycle. As such it is difficult to always keep your chin up but these verses in this psalm  let us know that God is still with us.

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

The poet by remembering the past remind the people of the great things that God has done. It then is a short jump to remind and tell the people of today that if God has done things in the past he can again they do great things for the people.

Just as it seems as though it is a miracle that'll sun-dried stream will quickly fill with water in the desert when it rains so God can perform similar miracles with his people.

As a farmer the sowing of the seed is a miraculous the time, a time of Hope for the future, a Time for dreams off the future. This is what the poet here is doing- dreaming for the future.

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Once God has brought about joy and good times, he will once bring it about.  We must remember this during our down times.  Our problems will not last forever. Mat the same time we must hold on to those small bits of joy that occurs during our down times. Mhanging on to Jesus is at times all that we can do.

• 9 months later...

The memory of God's deliverance reminds them that God will again do what He promises when they pray for it. It prepares for them by letting them know that God is trustworthy and willing to do what He says when it comes to His chosen people to deliver them. 

I understand the two metaphors to mean a dry weary land without water. That would be first one though. The first one describes how the people of Israel long for the rest of the exiles to be delivered by God just like a river swells after a spring and winter rain. The metaphor of sowing and reaping speaks of how they are dealing with the situation and need God to answer them. 

They remind me that God is faithful and will do what He say He will do as long as it is in His will and according to His plan for my life. 

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

They remember how God delivered them by using King Cyrus to allow them to go back to their home. They remember how happy and joyful they were to be free and no longer captives in a strange land. They knew that God could also help them restore Jerusalem. They believed that God would come to their rescue. 

A wadi or dry gully is usually dry most of the year but when floods come it can be filled pretty quickly and The psalmist talked about sowing and reaping because that is terms the people understood. They were farmers and understood that it took a lot of hard labor and time to get a harvest. And that the people must do their part and wait for God to do the rest.

They tell me that even though it looks like nothing is happening God is still behind the scenes. He is working on my behalf and I must do my part and wait on Him to do the rest. In due time I will be rewarded if I am faithful. I must not quit but keep pushing forward and trust in Him; no matter how hard it may seem.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Because of their past deliverance which had resulted in exuberant praise, they are able to ask for deliverance in their current situation with confidence. A test always result in a testimony at His appointed time. So when we go through testing times, we need to reminisce on His past mercies which resulted in an eruption of praise and thanksgiving from us and continue to hope in the Lord, knowing that good will come into our lives because of the good thoughts that He thinks towards us.

A wadi is dry most of the year. Israel being in the Middle East experience the dry, arid climate that is characteristic of the region. But Israel unlike other regions in Middle East is watered by rains from above. When there are heavy rains, a flash flood may occur and the dry wadis would overflow within minutes and thus irrigating the valley and bringing forth greenery and wild flowers overnight. So even though our situation may look bleak and hopeless to us, God can turn it around in a moment just like a dry, desert area is transformed into a lush green carpet suddenly.

In an agrarian economy, they knew very well that between planting and harvesting there is always a period of time involved. So the psalmist is exhorting to continue to labor in doing good for in so doing the time of reaping the harvest will surely come to pass.  He will turn every mourning into joy, every sadness into rejoicing. So even if the deliverance does not come immediately as the psalmist prayed, he’s encouraging them to continually do good and God will result it to be an occasion of celebration.

In my situation, as the psalmist I hope that the Lord would suddenly turn around the situation for me for He is able and till the time we see that happening in our lives I need to continue to doing good and see His goodness manifested in my life at His appointed time.

• 4 years later...

Most Christian seem to have an event which they recall as "special," a time when God clearly supernaturally intervened. They can recall that event when God seems distant -- it is a comfort to know that God once delivered and can deliver again.

A wadi represents instant deliverance; sowing and reaping represent delayed deliverance.

I desperately need a wadi in my life right now, quick even instantaneous deliverance from a situation that will harm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 126).

In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

• The memory of God's faithfulness and restoration power provided for them a strange experience of God's supernatural power and from this a testimony was birthed providing hope in the face of trials. Hence, they prayed from a place of knowing that God is Restorer and Deliverer.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance as follows:

• (1) a wadi or dry gully?  That the God of the suddenly will deliver from the tempest of times. I have met God here, yet He appeared overnight after the season of waiting.
  • (2) sowing and reaping? God always has a plan of deliverance for His children and takes us through seasons long and hard to build our character of trust, obedience and deliverance.

How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

• To trust the God of my destiny and His timing rather than the speed of deliverance.