JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

In verse 1-3 they are thanking him and praising God for what he has brought them through.

A wadi is always ready to receive the harvest where as a field you have to labour in it to reap the harvest.

Be faithfull and God will give you the harvest that you deserve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

As we remember the great things God has done for us in the past and as we give Him praise for seeing us through tough times, it builds our faith so that we can make our requests known unto God with great expectations.

both of these metaphors tell us that there is going to be a season of waithing and a season of harvest. We must no grow weary in well doing but stand faithfull, bellieving that God will see us through. I must sow in God's word and He is the one responsible for the harvst.

• 2 months later...

In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

They could that as with the original going from the land of captivity, there was much to give thanks for, yet there remained very much land to be possessed.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping?

Wadis are seasonal streams which flow with the winter rains, but are dry in the summer. Sowing and reaping refers to both hope and patience. Hope is the assurance that if you sow then you will reap a bountiful harvest. But you must wait for the crops to to germinate and grow, so it follows that although sorrow may last for a time, weeping does not necessarily mean that God ignores our sorrow.

How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

Floods are not what farmlands want or need, they do more harm than good; better that the furrows be watered with tears. We wait with patience and hope and looking to God to do the restoring.

• 4 months later...

The psalmist is remembering deliverance, describing the happiness of the nation, (....we were like them that dream....)then asking God to deliver once again.

The wadi is a dry wash that fills with water and becomes an oasis during rainy season in the desert. Sowing in the earth bring harvest and fulfillment. Both images show the promise of deliverance, as an occurence that is cyclical. To all come hardship and captivity, but the Lord will bring blessings and freedom, the water of life, and harvest in due time.

I am amazed, as usual, at the truth of this psalm as it applies to my own situation. Reading it, I am reminded that during dry times, I only have to remember the Lord. Dry times are temporary. Bounty will come again.

Beyond the temporal and the circumstantial of this earthly life, the metaphors remind me of the abundance and glory of the heavenly kingdom, as promised by God.

• 11 months later...

The memory of God's deliverance assured them that He would do it again. He had brought them out of one situation, He will bring them ourt of this one. They prayed with belief and trust. I can understand the two metaphors because I have been there. At times I have felt so dry, like God was far away, but I prayed with tears flowing, and believing God would answer. He has answered, I have reaped the joy because I stayed true to God, did not doubt or waver. I claimed His word and held on to it because I knew it would help get me through, and God would bring me through again.

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation? With memory of what our Great and merciful Father have done in the past it gives us the reassurance that He can and will do it again. Deliverance to me is that when I'm going through some tough times in my life, are when it seem like a dry spell is in my life I have to continue to rejoice and praise God. I have to know that God is keeping me through those time, so I must remember that those time are just for a moment. Weeping may endure for a night but I know that joy have and will come in the morning. I must continue to sow what I can sow and it will surly reap into a blessing for the kingdom of God. God has protected me even when I wasn't doing the right thing in my past life because he know that one day I will be his servant one that will always trust him and hold on to His Love because it never changes it only for me as I learn more about MY Father in heaven gets better. I'm greatful for All that the psalm have tought me about myself and my life. You see when God deliverance becomes real in your life you can't help but to praise His name and rejoice when even those that say they are a Christian tell the untruth about you. But I know that my father knows the truth and that is God he is my ALL AND ALL and the one and only God that I can Trust.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

ANS - He will bring victory! The Lord, who has done great things, will also restore our fortunes.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

ANS - The desert rain brings refreshing, long overdue. Our mourning and weeping will result in much joy! So don't lose heart, there is hope! God does answer prayer!

The nation is in a crisis because the people are forced to live in Babylon.

They know that God can bring them home.

Then they would be glad and the other people would see how great God is.

Then they ask God to bring them home.

A wadi is dry untill the rain comes - the place of despair becomes beautiful.

This way, we're dry until God comes.

The work on the land is hard but at the end there can be a beautiful crop.

Our life can be difficult but when we keep on He will reward us.

This helps me to keep the faith.

• 1 month later...

I need to focus on the desperation of the world and USA today, our fallen world. Then I can ascribe to the Lord and ask for Him to deliver us from the evils of the world and the flesh we don't need, and to ask Jesus to come again soon.

My friend told me his company was going under, and he needed $22,000 to make is payroll. He humbled himself before God one night and said to Him "make me nothing," he asked to become a transparent servant to the Lord. He cried and prayed and the day he had to pay the payroll he received over $22,000 in outstanding debts, from slow payng customers. He made his payroll. So his life was like a Wadi, and I ask God to make mine a Wadi also. I ask God to challenge me and bring forward people who want to help "save and restore the identities of US citizens that have had their ID stolen by evil people who don't care."

My desire is to ascribe to the Lord and ask Him to make me nothing, to kill my ego for the Glory of his work here on the earth, to help people without thinking of my getting anything.

• 2 weeks later...

My family was in crisis. Was mom dying? They all felt it was true. yet in one day they were joyful that she was recovering. My sister prayed all night.

I was calm, God told me she'd recover. I was able to be calm and deal with family members respectfully but with total optimism. God planned for me to be like this so they could see my faith. In one night God sent torrents of healing. and the result was a strong push back of death, and healing by our savior.

Praise God. I simply can't praise Him enough! Typing thousands of words here would not repay Him enough for saving our mother.

Praise God!

Memory of God's deliverance, or miracle or healing always prepares us for the current situation or a struggle. It is a reminder to us, as well as it was to David in other Psalms, that God will and has done it countless times. He will definitely show up again. So the release of the Jews from the Persian King Cyrus back to Jerusalem, was the first deliverance for the Jews. And it is that memory that makes them know that God will help them again to rebuild their templ once they saw King Solomons palace destroyed.

Metaphor 1: A wadi or dry gully

This is significant in many possible ways. God does things like this in my own life and the life of others that I was a witness for. He constantly reminds us of his power and grace when he acts right away and fills our gullies with his holy spirit, and then we blossom almost immediately.

Metaphor 2: Sowing and reaping

I have no doubt in my mind about sowing and reaping. Whether its finances, tears, clothes, or anything God is telling you to sow, there is always a reap at the end. Cause God loves us soooo much that he wants to honor us as well. He hears our cries, and understands our sorrows when we obey and are a cheerful giver, something happens in the spirit and our reaping is almost immediate. Or for s ome a while. Its alll in God's timing.

The God who restores His people seemingly overnight as with the return to Jerusalem allowed by King Cyrus, is also the God who provides the harvest in season. His provision is evident in all things.

This is especially comforting at this time as we consider the plight of the Haitians in the aftermath of the earthquake. God's provision is in the hands of relief workers from around the world and will be evident in the return to the routine of seasonal rhythms to the land of Haiti in years to come. Let us not fail to see His divine love in all things. Amen.

• 3 months later...

Verses 1-3 prepare them mentally and spiritually. They would be able to recall to mind what it was like, how good it felt to have such a miracle. It can be so helpful to have an idea in your mind of how a (for example) salvation might look. It helps to keep your mind on the prize, focused and un-willing to give up. It also prepares their hearts, they are thankful for what has already been done and they know God can do it again, they just have to pray and keep their minds and hearts in the right place.

A wadi is a river that is dry almost all of the time until a flash floods that occur in minutes. After that the ground is nourished for a short time and the seeds that have been sitting dormant now have what they need to grow. In relation to deliverance, we are infertile ground, unable to give life or produce true beauty until the flash flood of God's salvation that within the words you say to ask for a clean heart, He has already forgiven you.

It is our job to sow and reap. As we get delivered, God then requires us to help deliver people. We must remember that it is Him through us that does this. We need to keep sowing into others lives, even though it is tough and sometimes it will hurt because the reaping will always come, and this will be a time of rejoicing and praise. Also, we need to remember that what we sow we reap. If we are being positive influences and kind to others, we will get it back. It may not be straight away but it will come back.

• 2 months later...

God deliverance prepare them by saiding that mouth filled with laughter and tongue fill with joy and they will say to the nation that the lord have done great thing for them. They help me in my situation it let me know that if I keep the faith that my tears will turn to joy if I don't giveup

• 4 weeks later...

They recall all the Lord has done for them and others.

It may look like nothing is happening, surly nothing can grow here. Then suddenly the rains comes and a tiny leaf breaks through the once hard barren soil and life springs forth. And the next thing you know the field is covered in wild flowers and grassy land and gives the appearance of always being that way. Circumstances are temporary.

Don't go by what you seen, go by what you know of your heavenly Father.

• 2 weeks later...

When the nation remembered how they had been captured and how it had happened previously, they trusted God that he would restore what had been taken away. You need to do your part while waiting for your deliverance. Give praise for all to see once you have been delivered.

• 3 months later...

A3. (Psalm 126).

In Psalm 126:1-3 they are recounting the joyful feelings of having come full circle. And then in the prayer they are asking for a similar revolution in fortune.

The wadi is of life being given to a dieing land, to have life sustaining aid.

And, the sowing and reaping, I think is about social cycles. A people have to go through a time of "sowing" in order to go through a time of "reaping."

Q3. (Psalm 126).

In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

After being in exile for about 70 years the Jews were allowed to return from Babylon to Jerusalem. Here they found the Temple destroyed as well as the walls of Jerusalem, so they asked God to restore their fortunes, to rebuild their lives, as quickly as a wadi in the Negev can change after rain.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping?

A wadi is a miraculous change, an instant rescue; whereas in sowing and reaping we see an example of continuing in faith, perseverance and hard work resulting in eventual rescue.

I have experienced both and both have taught me to wait on the Lord. His timing is always perfect; sometimes we have instant answers to our prayers, at other times we wait, being patient and always trusting. In retrospect we will always notice that our prayers were answered with the best outcome and result for us. What a Mighty God we serve!

• 2 weeks later...

When the Israelites looked back on the joy of deliverance, they believed that God would work in their favor once again. Like the wadi and sowing and reaping, God often takes us through difficult times and times of sorrow so that we will praise Him when he restores us. I am reminded that my recent times of sorrow and loss are likely to result in great reward and joy. I have had difficulty in school and in my health and every time God has blessed me in ways that I could never have imagined. I can praise God for the wonderful blessings that have come out of grief and anguish.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

Their present need was brought into the perspective of faith for NOW as they remembered God's goodness and faithfulness of the past deliverance...They remembered their joy and exuberance and looked forward to seeing and experiencing God's wonderful intervention in the present circumstance.

A wadi or dry gully speaks to me of lack, barrenness, failure of either nature or of humans, wilderness and drought. Sowing and reaping speak of abundance, reward, fruitfulness....seed to plant now from an abundant crop last year, and reaping abundance from that seed planted in expectation of a good crop. Deliverance is God's hand in the process from wilderness to promise!

Our current situation is that we are faced with a rent increase of $500.00 per month. We are already at the maximum of what we can afford on retirement and Social Security income. We can move to another apartment, but rent is about the same everywhere in our area. Or we can "move" and stay here, permitting them to refurbish our apartment "around us" then pay the increase. We've been told no lease will be signed in Sept. for us unless we allow the refurbishing of our apartment and the increase. BUT....we have a promise from God from 1986 of a new home. (We owned our own home when He gave the promise that the "latter house will be greater than the former".... I gave Him our home for His purposes, thinking He would "use it" with us living there. But He took me at my word and literally "took it". So we have been in a wilderness since 1991....homeless, living with other people, and living in an apartment with "just enough"....since then. I believe we are on the cusp of entering the promised land. The brook Cherith is drying up here....and we'll follow the Lord wherever He leads. Nearly every day in prayer, He says "Wait and trust Me". So we praise and worship and wait and trust. I believe it will be to the place of abundance....we've sown and sown and sown in every way over the many years. I believe now is the time for harvest.....deliverance....more than enough in order to help others and to sow even more into the Kingdom of God.

V4 "Turn to freedom our captivity and restore our fortunes". This is our prayer! The wilderness has been a place of learning to trust for daily bread, to praise and worship because He is worthy, of being humbled and learning to humble ourselves, of speaking God's Word to our circumstances, tithing on the little that comes in and being faithful with what He gives us daily. Our small apartment has become a "comfortable prison" and He alone is our deliverer. We will enter the "Promised land" as different people than when we went in! Thank you Jesus!!! When we entered captivity, we were unsure of God's love for us. Now we truly know that we are loved. We know that we're forgiven. We understand Grace. We know that His timing is perfect! So we wait!

• 4 months later...

The memory of God's deliverance is a reminder of God's ability to rescue at all times. The nation remembers how God delivered them out of captivity and how they were filled with joy and laughter. It ignites their faith in God and they remember the past trouble and how God brought them out from it all.

This memory of God's deliverance fills them with hope and confidence to know that God is an unchanging God and He is still on the throne. It gives them courage to make bold prayers as in Verse 4 to restore their fortunes once again . Remembering the past miracles brings about faith and trust in God and strength to go to Him once again and plead to help them.

The two metaphors of deliverance signify dryness and restoration .

A wadi or a dry gully is totally a dry barren place which has no water or life around. But when a sudden rainfall occurs it causes the wadi to be full and flooded. Then the place is totally changed and there will be life around. Green plants will grow ,flowers will bloom .many a sheep and cattle may come to drink the cool waters. This is the same in our spiritual lives. When we seek the Lord and invite Him in our lives He fills us with His Holdy spirit and gives us new life. Our dry life is renewed and it becomes fruiful. We are filled with abundant joy and peace and everything in us and around us prospers.

Sowing and reaping is a principle where what you sow is what you reap. The harvest I reap depends on the what and how much I sow. If is sow in th spirit i will reap in the spirit. God will cause abundant harvest when we generoulsy sow into His kingdom.

These metaphors are helping me to know right now that no matter what is in my life right now God will turn around everything. When i seek Him and his kingdom he will turn every dry situation into life. If i continue to remain in Him and sow good things He shall cause me to reap abundant harvest

God rescued the nation of Israel from the land of exile and brought them back to their own land. The people of Israel lived in great sadness when they were in exile and coming back to their own land looked impossible. They had dreams and desires to be free from slavery. And when the Lord... the God who makes all things possible delivers the nation of Israel from captivity they were filled with unexplainable joy! Their hearts were rejoicing over God's faithfulness because the Lord had done great things for them. This victory gives them the confidence to ask their good God (Verse 4) to restore unto them all they lost.

A wadi or dry gully is a dry place and filled with water only during rain season. There are sudden showers when the land has experienced a season of dryness. God amazes us with His sudden favours for which we may have waited in prayer for a long time. A sudden mighty blessing can come our way when we least expect it. Sowing and reaping is like one action has a reaction and length of time is also involved. when we sow seeds of any of kind we reap the harvest from that seed that we have sown in abundance. we sow love and mercy we reap and abundance of love and mercy. we sow kindness and generosity we reap the same in abundance.

• 2 years later...

I think that if they remember that God had delivered them from the devastation that they were going through then they would want to pray about the present problem that they are facing at this time.

I have been in Arizona when the dry gully was really dry and then the rains came and the gully filled almost to overflowing. But when I looked out at the desert it was a beautiful place to be. So knowing that the dry spell that I am going through will turn into a beautiful place is always comforting.

• 11 months later...

The first few verses 1-3 build expectation and offer encouragement- to remember what God had done for them in the past, he can do it again. The metaphors are encouraging, God can restore, he can bring joy where there is despair (v5,6)