JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 145

Q2. (Psalm 145) Which aspects of God's character mentioned in Psalm 145 stand out to you in particular? Why is it important for "every creature," every human being, to praise him? What are you doing to help that happen?

God's characteristics emphasised in this psalm:

He is great and unsearchable

He has splendor and majesty

He has abundant goodness

He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and steadfast in love

He is compasionate

He upholds those in need

He satisfies the desires of every living thing and those who look to him

He is righteous and faithful

The characteristic of God that stands out for me is that he lifts up people who have fallen and helps those who are in trouble (paraphrase v14)
 God is for the 'underdog' (Exodus 22:21).

It is important to give God his due praise because he has created all things, as the psalm says:"The Lord is great and deserves all our praise..." (v3).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psalm 145) Which aspects of God's character mentioned in Psalm 145 stand out to you in particular? Why is it important for "every creature," every human being, to praise him? What are you doing to help that happen?

He is near to us like a relative or neighbor. Praising Him helps us to understand His greatness and draws us closer to him. When we observe all created things it becomes overwhelming His greatness.

• 2 years later...

Q2. (Psalm 145) Which aspects of God's character mentioned in Psalm 145 stand out to you in particular? Why is it important for "every creature," every human being, to praise him? What are you doing to help that happen? The aspects that stand out to me are His compassion and mercy. As an addict who is addicted to food and material goods I realize how blessed I truly am to have a God who is compassionate and full of mercy towards me continuously when I fail. I have realized also that with God that He loves me enough to be patient and wait for me when I do fail and forgive me time and time again. I am beyond amazed at His love! It is important to praise Him because He is our Creator. That He is also the One who died for us as well. I am praising Him daily through singing songs at home and staying abstinent through eating in a God honoring way and exercising that way as well.

Q2. (Psalm 145) Which aspects of God's character mentioned in Psalm 145 stand out to you in particular? Why is it important for "every creature," every human being, to praise him? What are you doing to help that happen?

The graciousness, faithfulness, and His goodness in meeting our needs. Even though at times I feel that He is not answering my prayers as I want Him to. He is forever loving and ready to pardon my offenses and help me start over again.

It is important because if we do not praise Him and tell others especially our children then they will never come to know Him as we do. It is important because it is what God expects of all of us. He deserves the praise of everyone.

I am talking about Him to my daughter and sometimes mentioning Him to people who do not know Him. I also am trying to spend more time talking and praising Him myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

All the aspects of His character is worthy of meditation to learn more of Him. I particularly like verse 8, The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. His grace is amazing to have saved a wretch like me. His compassion towards me caused Him to send His Son to save me. His longsuffering is a trait that I need to learn for my own life. He is rich in love towards me and I love Him because He first loved me.  

We are made to praise Him for we exist for His pleasure. The creation except for His prime creation, man, praise Him by fulfilling the purpose for which they were created. But man is in rebellion to his Creator. Romans says that the creation itself is waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God. The creation as a consequence of the fall is declaring His praises in minor key. But when the sons of God are manifested the creation will declare its praise to the One worthy of all praise in its pinnacle. How glorious that would be!!

I want to be a worshiper who will worship in spirit and in truth. When I worship Him, He will seek me out for that’s what Jesus said. And it will so much easier for Him to seek me rather than me seeking Him. Also I want my children and my near and dear ones to praise Him. We praise Him based on our revelation of Him. So my desire is to know Him more and make Him known and I do whatever is in my ability to do just that.

• 4 years later...

To me, what stands out is God's nearness. He hears me when I call to Him. I'm not screaming into the void but into His open ear. When I call "in truth" -- which I take to mean what I truly think and feel -- He hears my broken words through the sobs. I am very comforted by the thought that God hears my prayers.

Furthermore, when I call out to Him for help, He hears my cry and saves me. He answers my prayers. I am clinging to this truth right now. Save me, Lord. Hear my cry and save me!!

--

It is quite difficult to sincerely praise God when we're devastated and deeply suffering, yet Pastor Ralph says, in so many words, that we must do it anyway. The idea is as we praise, or attempt to praise, we are able to get past ourselves and think of God. 

I am doing this now.  I am reading these psalms aloud with my hands up, begging Him to be true to this psalm, not in objective reality, but in my wee life, right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalm 145)
Which aspects of God's character mentioned in Psalm 145 stand out to you in particular?

• Yaweh's LOVE, COMPASSION, RIGHTEOUSNESS

Why is it important for "every creature," every human being, to praise him?

• We were created to return all praise and glory to God. Further, scripture tells us in Psalm 145 that the wicked God will destroy. Here the wicked refers to those who do not fear God reflective in lack of reverence and due praise to Him.

What are you doing to help that happen?

• Declaring God's praise in my lifestyle, through my talents and commission to constantly tell of His works and awesome deeds wherever I go.