JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Overarching Theme of Jesus' Teaching

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Matthew 5:21-26) Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25-26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26?

LOVE. Love for one another, love for our enemies, love for God.

We must cleanse our soul of the hatred that we may have for one another prior to settling the "things" that created that hatred.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:21-26) Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25- 26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26?

God is continuaally giving Christians 'tests'. A test of our love for God is how we treat the people he puts in front of us daily; both our chruch members and the people on the stree, and next door. Learning to love like Jesus means being awake, aware, loving and prayerful at all times. While this is not easy to always remember, we can hope and pray to develop this attitude

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:21-26) Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25- 26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26?

"Love your neighbour as yourself".

The overarching theme of Jesus' teaching here is that we are to be loving (this is salt) toward everyone who hurts us even though it is the hardest thing to do. We are to forgive them and mean it from the heart. We are not to let their behavior rob us of our joy because actually it is the enemy doing all of the negative things to us. It is the evil spirit they have allowed to enter into them that is attacking us. Therefore, it is so important to be on watch so that the spirit of getting even or holding grudges, or hate doesn't enter into us. After all, we don't battle people, we are at war with the spirit of the air, the enemy. Our job is to love them; Jesus' job is to judge them.

• 2 weeks later...

This theme is a standard for behavior according to the leading of the Spirit and kingdom values rather than being lead by our flesh and the world's values. Kingdom values bring life and blessing and peace while worldly values bring death(murder) curse(darkness, tastlessness) and strife. Living according to Kingdom values testifies to our new life in Christ.

• 1 year later...

Love of God entirely and of neighbor as oneself.

That is really more trite than I can stand - the more accurate answer is Love INSPITE.....

I don't know that I will ever love God unreservedly. I have this small problem of being wrapped in a human suit around the enternal spirit which is me. I recall a conversation I had with a wise old man who had taken me under his wing some 30 plus years ago. Prayer was one of his strong suits and I was expected to use it. I had a real 'fool' problem with a past boss and we'd talked about getting free of that cloud. He told me to pray for him every day. After a few weeks, he asked me how I was doing - I replied: "Well, he ain't dead yet."

We had another very serious 'discussion' immediately following that statement in which he did most of the 'discussing'.

Needless to say, I no longer am burdened with that (the man did NOT die, by the way) but I am burdened with being human. My hearts desire is to follow the first 2 laws - my reality is that I still have problems doing so sometimes. I often thank God for Paul in Romans. I too often seem to be doing things I do not wish and NOT doing things that I wish to. The saving grace is that I more often do the desires of my heart (Love God - Love my neighbor) and much more seldom do the things I would sincerely love to abandon for all time.

As much of Christ's teachings are, I'm confronted with a dilemma that only being Christ would allow me to fulfill on this plane. Thank God Almighty that I don't have to be - Salvation and grace are my constant companions.

• 8 months later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:21-26)

Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25- 26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26?

The overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage is love to one another. Loving others as we love ourselves.

• 1 month later...

I wish my answers were as quick and complete as others. Instead questions like this trouble me.

Are we called to love and forgive the evil people? The Hitlers and Stalins? They may represent the worst of humanity, but the traits they exhibited exist throughout our world. Does God forgive them? Then how can he judge right and wrong?

Similarly, are we to love and forgive the unrepentant? I appreciate others' answers because these are difficult questions for me.

To carry the thought one step further: what does our forgiveness look like. Do we love and forgive the thief/rapist/murderer and give him the key to our house? "Common sence" may say no, but If not then what is our love and forgiveness?

These have always been difficult topics for me.

• 1 year later...

I believe the theme of v. 21 - 26 are the 2 commandments Jesus gave.  "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your strength, and with all you mind," and "Love your neighbor as yourself."  I would also throw in there "Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand."

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25- 26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26? 

The overall theme of Jesus is forgiving and love what reconciliation is all about.

• 3 months later...

I feel that we need to get to know what is in our hearts. We need to go into the "heart" of the words instead of just surface meanings. We need to learn that love is the best way to deal with everyone that we meet. Only in these ways can we really be of the right mind to stand before God and be judged as a righteous person. Only these ways, we can really say that we deserve to be called a child of God.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To Love, repent and forgive

To love always and when you fall short go to God and repent, always give and show forgiveness.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Matthew 5:21-26) Verses 21-22 are about murder, anger, and insult. Verses 23-24 discuss some fault against one's brother. Verses 25- 26 discuss settling a civil suit before going to court. What is the overarching theme of Jesus' teaching in our entire passage, verses 21-26?  The theme would be that we should forgive and reconcile any and all conflicts in our hearts so that we can best serve our Heavenly Father. It all goes back to the idea of love your neighbors, as you love yourself. 

• 3 months later...

In this passage we learn to repent, forgive and be reconciled to our 'brother'. To do this we need to follow what Jesus is teaching, viz. to "love". 

Love the Lord your God ..... Love your neighbour as yourself. ...

Even I myself am not excluded in this love.

To live this we will be living the "heart of the law".