JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disciples' Reaction to Jesus' Teaching

I believe the disciples reacted so negatively to Jesus' teachings on marriage and divorce because they understood exactly what He was conveying. They got the point loud and clear.

They didn't misunderstand because they thought it was better not to marry at all than to be trapped in a marriage they couldn't get out of.

According to the latest statistics, about 50% of marriages today end in divorce or one out of every two. This includes Christian marriages as well. How sad is that?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

I think Jesus' disciples reacted negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce because they understood it. They understood that Jesus' teaching was pretty tight and didn't allow for a casual approach to marriage and divorce.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

because there was no way out. they had to decide can i live with this woman for all my life and a day?and you know there will always be a prettier one, or nicer one or so on. and the seriousness behind our vows, man all us men don't like to be serious, we enjoy casual and kicking back. we don't like to think about these things. so they for sure understood these words.

I think that originally the Disciples did not fully understand the implication of marriage, until Jesus came with the teaching. They thought thatthey could simply divorse and easily marry. Jesus's teaching opened their eyes just how strict God was with the issue.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce?

Because they would not be able to control what happened if they got married and had problems.

Did they misunderstand it?

I think they understood it, they just didn

• 4 weeks later...

Because they probably liked the idea of having their own freedom of choice and not be limited by laws.

I don't think they misunderstood any of these teachings. They were probably also trying to find an easy way out in the event of something going wrong in their marriages.

• 3 weeks later...

I think our carnal side doesn't want to admit the possibility that we may have been wrong on this issue. How many of us have been married only once? Never divorced? You are in a minority! My parents had been married 54 years when My Dad went to be with The Lord. His parents had been married over 60 years when Dad's dad went home to be with The Lord! Those marriages are very rare, anymore!

Maybe the disciples were taught to believe one way, and then when Jesus came into the area and started teaching something they had never heard before, they became confused. Like when our parents told us about Easter eggs, and The Tooth Fairy when we were little, and then when we grew older we learned that these things don't really exist. Family traditions kinda get smashed when you find Jesus and let Him enter your abode.

The disciples reacted negatively to Jesus' teaching because it left no room for a misunderstanding of God's intention for marriage and His explanation that the Mosaic law was only given because of the hardness of men's heart.

• 6 months later...

I think they acted so negatively on his teaching because they had not heard the truth before and they thought there should be an escape route. Before they heard the truth, yes, but after they heard,no. Jesus made it clear, there was no escape.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they understood what Jesus was saying about marriage and divorce. They were human and may have wanted Jesus to include Mose's law for divorce. If they did not understand they had the perfect time to have Jesus explain it to them. Unlike us they could have asked him to explain it.

• 5 months later...

They reacted the way they did because of sinful human nature. They had a hard time (as almost everyone does) thinking in such absolute terms with no escape clause or exceptions allowed. To accept this, we have to completely trust that God does what's best for us and submit ourselves to His will.

I believe they did, in just the way mentioned above.

• 2 months later...

1.Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? I believe they reacted so negatively is because they probably have seen divorces happening all the time, almost like a natural way of living. Then they hear the truth of Jesus being explained to them that divorce is wrong. This new idea when you make a vow to your mate, that marriage is for life, would have been to hard for one to bare. As I read the disciples say, "that it would be better not to marry", revealed to me that they knew the importance of God's law and that disobeying Him, was a serious offense to God. People are so accustomed to having their own way, doing their own thing, they make vows without even realizing they are making them to God too, disregarding God completely in their descisons.

2. Did they misunderstand it? No, I don't think they misunderstood it, this truth was a hard saying, and perhaps their very own hearts were being convicted. Jesus went on to say that "not everyone can accept this truth, but only those to whom it has been given." Here Jesus gives his followers another another opportunity to hear God's Truth, to follow Him is not easy, it's all by choice, we have a choice, a responsibility to God on how we live. When we choose not to follow the Truth, we will no doubt keep falling in the ditch.

God's blessings, Love, Lory

• 10 months later...

Many people/men were divorcing in those times [this surprised me to learn this]. For Jesus to say that even looking too long at a woman was adultery, and that the disciples felt they couldn't live up to what he was saying.

Seeing marriage for life is critical, and accepting Christ to lead us through life is more critical than all else. Giving it to Him makes the rest doable. Perhaps they weren't thinking of giving it all to Him at the moment he told them this?

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus' disciples reacted negatively to His teaching because they were Jews who had been taught it was all right to divorce. Jesus's words shocked them. They didn't misunderstand His teaching at all.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10)

Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

I think the disciples saw the seriousness of the vow as Jesus taught and from experience of the state of marriage that they experienced. They saw the truth of the difficulty of achieving that oneness. As humans we want the easy way out. Remaining single is simpler in many ways if one is not tempted to "burn with passion". Paul taught that husbands were to love their wives as Christ loved the church. That's love through servanthood. This was totally in conflict with tht culture and even ours today. The women were valued even less than today. They were expected to serve their husbands and expect little in return. Oneness requires submission. In a culture where women are devalued to having no rights what reason would they have to submit from their heart in desire to please their husband except when he truly serves her. Then she can trust him and not worry about her needs. No, I think they understood pretty well.

• 1 year later...

Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? I believed they acted so negatively because it was their cultural belief at the time that divorce was acceptable to God for any reason. Moses Law, his divorce greed, did not make it absolutely clear why a man and a woman could divorce, so over the years the original divorce law was expounded on by The Mosaic lawmakers, to include practically any reason. If a wife messed up her husbands dinner he could divorce her. So, thus, divorce was widely used, and accepted in their culture. So, I think because of their own cultural mores toward divorce they reacted negatively to Jesus teaching. They did not understand. They had to be reminded and taught God's original intention for marriage.

Ephesians 5:31-33 (KJV)

31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Matthew 19:10)

Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce?

I think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on mariage and divorce because they also believed and may be practiced Mosaic Law. The people at that time, I think, they saw Mosaic Law as an escape from marriage, for any little justification. With Jesus' teaching, this is not the case.

Did they misunderstand it?

I don't think they misunderstood it. They just saw things changing and then think: if they is no way to divorce, there is no need to marry.

• 1 year later...

I believe the disciples acted negatively because they were so used to the Mosaic teachings.  In marriage there is a mutual give and take, a compromising and the man is the head of the house and the woman is his helpmate.  Love can grow to where there really is just one person.  To look or **** after another is to commit adultery.  Do not be tempted.  I do not think the disciple misunderstood the explanation.  I do not think they could yet except that love is what marriage is all about.  Not just being fruitful and multiplying.  Love.

• 1 year later...

Jesus' disciples reacted negatively to His teaching on marriage and divorce because in God's sight, their was no way to escape or get out of a marriage. Jesus definitely placed a higher value on how men and women treated each other than what the current culture of the time practiced.  The same is today.  Marriage is more than an avenue for personal fulfillment.  It is finding joy in making someone else happy.   I think the disciples understood what He said perfectly.  They just didn't like what He said!  ;)

• 1 month later...

Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce because they were under the Mosaic law teachings.  They did not misunderstand it.  You should marry with the intent to stay married.

• 2 months later...

Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? As with any departure from a commonly accepted practice there is confusion, apprehension, fear, and resistance. Even after believing Jesus was the Messiah, the disciples still had a lifetime of secular exposure and nurturing to vanquish.

Did they misunderstand it? I believe they understood as evidenced by their question “is it better not to marry”. The implications were clear, I’m sure there were areas that needed clarification, but for the most part the practice of divorce (without cause), and marrying another woman results in adultery, although atypical, this is God's intention of lifelong marriage.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel that the disciples realize how hard it would be to try and marry a person and live with them their whole life. They might have seen many people give up on each other and realize that this love could never exist in humans. I don't think that they misunderstood it. I think that they wanted to just give up without really trying. They were taking the easy way out on things.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I don't think they misunderstood, for so long they did what they wanted where marriage and divorce where concerned, that they came to the realization that marriage would be more difficult, so they decided to stay single.