JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Why Pray?

We pray because God asks us to pray when modeling the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:9).  God wants to talk with us and communicate with us.  That should not be a great surprise to the believer.  Jesus is the Lover of our souls! Prayer is simply talking to God and communicating with Him.  Communicating with Him is the main goal of prayer, and it is not just meant to edify us.  Prayer is more than pleasant, positive thoughts.  It is an integral part of our relationship with Him.  It strengthens the relationship, just as communication between spouses strengthens a marriage.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 6:8) If God knows what you need before you ask him, why should you ask him at all? What sense does prayer really make? Are we mainly to talk for our own edification and encouragement? Why or why not? 

We should ask God because He is the one to go to for all our needs.  Although He knows what we need before we pray, it helps us in our faith, we are encouraged and our trust level in Him increases.  Prayer is talking to God, if we allow Him, He does talk back.  

• 3 months later...

I believe that we need to communicate with God on very open basis. I believe that written prayers are great for group or community worship. However, we need a more personal interaction with God. We need to pray to Him to let Him know that we are requesting an audience with Him. And once we speak, we need to take the time and listen to Him. We need to open our hearts to receive His message back to us. God knows what we want and need, but we need to give him the chance to make a responce to us. And I believe that prayer is the way to accomplish all of this.

• 1 month later...

God does know what I need before I ask him but it is for my benefit to talk to Him about the things that are bugging me. I can turn them over to Him. The difference that prayer makes is that we can have a peaceful heart after we have talked to God. We know that He will take care of us but it isn’t always in the way we want it to be.

I don’t think that we talk for our own edification or encouragement because when we pray for others we can see that sometime they change. We have seen people that were on the death bed be healed and live a normal life afterward. I believe that this is all because of prayer.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Matthew 6:8) If God knows what you need before you ask him, why should you ask him at all? What sense does prayer really make? Are we mainly to talk for our own edification and encouragement? Why or why not?

It is teaching us communication with God, how to go to God with our burdens and praise. 

• 2 years later...

Talking to God brings me closer to Him, be it by asking for something, or be it by sharing something. I tend to talk to Him at any and all the time. 1Thess 5:17 does encourage one to be unceasing in prayer.

It is so much easier to share or bring a request to Him as soon as it (the need/pain/joy ....) is there.