JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prayer for Daily Bread vs. Independence

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help, including God because of self-pride and egotism.

We should ask God for our daily bread, even though we can earn a living for ourselves because God is ultimately in control of all things. Consider the following passage of scripture: "You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." Deu. 8:17-18 This verse says it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Now a day's asking for help is being weak and prideful. We think we have to do everything ourselves. We seek to be independent of God because we don't really realize who our Father is. That He is a loving and caring Father who wants to provied for us. All we have to do is ask. We should ask Gof for our daily bread because we learnevery day more about the Lord and His kingdom and the things we need to live for Him on a daily basis. His word, his love, his power, if we will seek first the kingdom of God, all things will be added.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help is because we want to give credit to ourselves. We want it to go down that our achievements are due to us and not anybody else and therefore Glory must go to ourselves.

We seek to be indepent of God because of the selfcentredness that is in all of us. We need to be liberated from this thinking. We are rebelious and want to think that we are responsible for our own existence. We think that following God's plan is restrictive because it does not allow us to do what we want. When we are separated from God we can do what we want. But what we do not realise is that going our own way lead to destruction. God's way is the one that leads to life.

• 2 weeks later...

We may not seek another's help because we may feel humiliated and proud to ask for assistance; it makes us feel dependable on the other person and we feel that they may think we can't make it on our own.

We seek to be independent of God because pride and a sense of self efficiency may block our blessing we receive when He answers our prayers. Sometimes we only call out to God when we can sink no further than the gutter.

We should ask God to provide our daily needs because it is scriptural first of all; ".....ye have not because ye ask not." God knows what we have need of but just like an earthly father He waits for His children to come to Him with needs. When we ask Him on a daily basis, we are reaffirming our trust and dependence on Him as well.

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because of the need to keep private the family's shortcomings. We do not want others to know that we do not have it all together.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

We seek to be independent of God because we are healthy and in a position to earn a living and the family's needs are met.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We should ask God to "give" us daily bread, as Jesus' instructed us to rely of the Father for everything. Even if we are earning a living for ourselves, still we must remember that it is God who gives us this ability.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are taught from day one that we are to be able to make it on our own. That was one of the reasons I admired my Dad so much-he never saked for help. When he got sick, just before he died, we all prayed for him and with him, and that was the only time I ever heard him ask for help. Gloray! I'm so glad he did!

God wants us to consult with Him about everything! No matter how small or large, He wants us to come to Him for everything. He wants to take care of us. This has been most difficult for me. I wonder why should a Big God like Him care about me? But, He cares! The Love Letter confirmed that to me! Well-you know what comes next-bye!

We may seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because that is the way we are raised. We attend school and/or special training in order to prepare us for a world in which we will need to "survive". Our desire to be independent of God may be based on this same concept.

We should ask God to give us daily bread because he is the ultimate provider. When we are able to pay for our food, clothes, housing, it is because he has provided us with the means to earn the money needed.

• 1 month later...
god said it is not good that man be alone, so inside us we dont want to be by ourselves. but on the contrary, we cry out" why can't you just leave me alone" because we don't want to be bothered by anyone. so their is a struggle on the inside to which voice is shouting loudest. we must choose who we will serve. if it is for us, then we will probably slam some doors and stomp our feet to let others know they better back off. now if it is unto the lord, then we will submit to the word of god and let the spirit of god come teach us and refresh us.

• 5 months later...

We don't want to ask help from anyone and even God because we want to do for ourselves. We think it is a weakness. We are greedy, self-centered. We think we can do things ourselves. We should ask God for our daily bread because He is our Provider. He wants us to learn to depend on God tatally, for every need in our life. Not our way of thinking or the world's way. God has given us the health to work so we can give back to Him and let Him use us on our jobs for His glory. We are to ask for our daily bread because it teaches us sobriety and temperance. It teaches us honesty and industry. It teaches us to depend upon divine Providence. We have to depend on the mercy of God for our daily bread. It teaches us charity and a compassionate concern for the poor and needy. It teaches us to renew the desire of our souls toward God.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes pride, we want to be viewed as people who can do everything. As human beings we don't want to appear weak. So we try to go it alone. Only after we have made such a mess do we seek our Fathers help. We should ask daily because it gives glory to God. Everything comes from God, even our ability to get and keep a job. God brought us into this world and gave us what we need to do whatever ii is we do. Everyone has a different gift from the Father and we are to use it as God intended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We like to think we can run our own lives and be independent. Rugged individualism, a can-do attitude, personal responsibility and indepedence are all seen as admirabile qualities by the world. Admitting your own inadequacy to any task is often seen as weakness.

Admitting that we need anyone, even God, often makes us feel weak and as if we have abdicated personal responsibility for our own lives and actions.

We need to submit to God's rule and admit to ourselves that we would have nothing, could do nothing, and would be nothing without Him.

• 2 months later...

Today, at least in the U.S., the value of independence is see as being very positive. This may or not be true within various subcultures in the U.S. as well. The independence can be a barrior as it might lead to pride. We also are a very blessed nation and often don't see the need for God in providing for us daily. However we should ask God to provide for us daily. People can get layed off, huricanes can wipe out businesses. Often the closer we are to proverty, the closer we are to God. This is not a good thing. Let me remember to ask and thank God daily for providing all that we have.

• 2 months later...

It is not nice to be dependent because you lose control.

We don't want to depent on somebody, not even on God - but we are.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? We think that we have strength enough on our own.

Why do we seek to be independent of God? Similar reasons to the above. We think we have strength enough on our own ... until we don't. At that point God is always there. He never breaks His promise to us. I know because I have been there and God has brought me through.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves? Everything we have comes from God including our ability to work and earn money. So in that sense God is giving us our daily bread by providing us with the ability to work. When the ability to work falls away for whatever reason, then God provides in some other way. In any event, He always provides.

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? We like to think we can handle anything that comes our way ourselves. To ask for help seems to many a sign of weakness. Also, some people think that others will see us as stupid because we should already know how to do whatever it is we're trying to do. This, of course is common when a student asks someone for help with their studies, or whenever someone asks for directions while driving to an unknown area. (Before the GPS!)

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves? First, we should realize that everything we have comes from God. We can't do or receive anything that He hasn't allowed us to have. Second, we must realize that it is our acknowledgement that God is in control of all we have; therefore, we are to ask Him to continue to supply all of our needs because this asking strengthens our knowledge that we are dependent upon God for all things. It is the dependence upon Him that is so important to comprehend and get into our spirit. Yes, the sinners have what they need too because God loves them also. However, until they repent of their sins, accept Jesus as the Lord and Savior and as God's son, and live their lives for Him, they won't see heaven when they die. The sinners do not recognize their need to recognize the dependence we must have on God for All things: salvation and daily living.

• 2 weeks later...

I think our seeking to be independent of other people and God is our pride of wanting to be in control. It requires some humility to see how we are so incapable of true control in our lives when we look at the character of God and who He is. In our humaness and pride we want to be autonomous. But when we ask Him daily for our needs we are forced to realize how little control we have. But what a blessing and a joy to ask and see the source of all our needs! Our father God! He gives his children good things and desires to bless us and really knows what is truely good for us. I can go out and get a job and work but it is always by God's grace I do whatever it is I set out to do. When I stop and ask Him though, the "work" is so much more a blessing; to me, my family, my employer. Why wouldn't I want to ask Him?

• 1 year later...

I can't speak for others, but I know everything here on earth is God's.He is the creator of EVERYTHING. I thank Him for every provision, and I don't take anything for granted. That may sound very pious, but I have been through a lot in my life and I realize that only by His GRACE am I here today. He provides everything!!! I thank Him several times a day for all he has given me. And especially for His heart,His love, and the redemption given to us, through His beloved Son.. What a sacrifice God made to provide for us. We must take nothing for granted.

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26 (NIV)

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:11)

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because of our belief that we have everything and we don't need anybody.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

We seek to be independent of God because of our wrong thinking that, what we have is a result of our own efforts, power and strength forgetting that, such power and strength we get from God.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves because such earning capacity we get it from God and He is the Provider of everything.

• 1 year later...

When I was young I was taught to take care of myself, because there will come a time when parents are not there.  That is true, but Our Father is always there.  It is hard for one to comprehend that if a job is lost and there is no income that food will appear on the table and the bills will be paid. God will take care of you maybe not in the style into which you have become accustomed but He will take care of you.  Does He not dress the lilies of the field and feed the animals?  We try and not very successfully to become independent of God by doing things ourselves.  We usually mess it up pretty good.  We are and can do nothing without God, at least not right!  When we ask God to give us our daily bread even if we go out and earn the money, shop for the food, take it home, and cook it, we cannot do it without the gifts God gives to us to earn and work.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

It is comforting and freedom to be self-sufficient, not needing anyone for help.  When you know you have, it is a great relief.  We seek to be independent of God to be free from worry and uncertainty.  Not knowing when or where something will occur.  We should ask God to "give" us daily bread so that things will go well with us and we would trust in Him more knowing He has it in His hands.  Our confidence in God would grow.

• 2 months later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? The secular society in which we live, not only advocates but promotes self-sustaining behavior. Asking for help is considered by many as a sign of weakness. We are also no longer a people who are quick to show gratitude. We have spoken so long about entitlements that it rarely occurs to people to express gratitude. When one stops to think about it, the ever increasing reach of satanic influence is permeating society exponentially.

Why do we seek to be independent of God? To me this is incomprehensible, how can the creation be, or desire to be, independent of the Creator ??? The only motivation I can think of is pure unadulterated pride and/or an unrealistic obsession for power. To desire independence from or defy the authority and magnitude of Almighty God is derisive.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves? Our health, our abilities, our intellect, our employment, our very next breath and heart beat are TOTALLY dependent upon God our Father. These are gifts of His grace and mercy that He freely gives to us that we, of ourselves, have neither earned nor deserve. James 1:17 says, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of People feel tto vulnerable to ask for help. They feel that they are going to be indebted to the person or persons. They feel that they are a failure if they have to turn to others for help at all. a lot of us were brought up to think that God gave you this life and that you need to succeed or you are a failure to God. We were taught that we are not worthy of God's love and that we are in this situation because of all of our sins. We feel that God has turned His back on us. A lot of people are afraid to face their needs. They do not want to recognize the help that they need. They put blinders on and just go along their own way. But, we need to go to God. We need to daily praise Him, and ask for His blessings in our lives. We need to tell Him about our concerns and fears and dreams. He wants to know us. He wants us to get to know Him. If we do not approach Him now, how will we be able to approach Him at the time of our judgement?