JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

In order to be justified, you must have faith. It is the consequence of faith. If you show faith in God, then he will find you favorable (justified). To me, if you are justified, you believe that God is in control. It's a hard thing because you have to give it all to him. I deal with this in my own life, having faith in the little things. I battle with doubts, but deep down I truly believe that God is in control. I guess it's human nature to question things. But if you truly can find faith and believe, then God will reward you with not only your request, but also bigger things. Which to me is justification.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Abraham and us the relationship between faith and justification is we can be justified only when we have faith, belief, trust in God and His promises to us. Jusified means to be declared righteous because of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the Cross, that He died for us while we were still sinners and we are righteous only because He dwells in our hearts and minds.

• 2 weeks later...

Through the grace and mercy of Christ we forgiven. As long as we are living fully persuaded, living in the faith of God our sins are forgiven, we have justification. All he asks for is our blind faith. As a learn to walk in faith I am experiencing the Christ effects on my life. I now know that I am righteous in the eyes of God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?

Because of Abraham's faith in God, he was declared righteous and therefore in right standing with God i.e justified. Abraham was declared in right standing with God even before the law, this means that it wasn't because he obeyed the law or even did all the right things. We know from the Bible that he was very mortal and made mistakes so his actions were not the reason for God declaring him righteous or justified. Rather Abraham did something remarkable, he believed God even in the face of what looked impossible to man that a 100 year old man could father a child or that a 75 year old woman could become pregnant, carry and deliver a child. He believed the promises God made to him that he would be the father of nations and he eagerly expected the promises to come to pass as God had said they would. In short words, Abraham had faith in God, he completely and utterly relied and had confidence in God and for that God pronounced him righteous.

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification?

It is through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ that we are made righteous. When we believe, repent and put our faith in Jesus Christ we become incorporated into His body. As Jesus aptly put it He is the vine and we are the branches so when we believe what He said and put all our reliance in Him to lead us in the right path, we become attached to Him. God then sees Jesus when He looks at us and we become righteous in His eyes as Jesus is righteous. We become fully reconciled to God and restored to full fellowship because we are in Jesus and Jesus is in right standing with God.

So it is only through faith- a confidence in the promises of Jesus, reliance on His finished work on the cross and trust that He will eventually return to take us to the Father where we will enjoy eternal life that we can be saved by Jesus and have His righteousness.

In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

To be justified in my words means to be acquited and declared clean as if I had never committed any offence or sin. To be justified means to me to be restored to the state that God intended man to be in the beginning before sin entered the world. Then He could have fellowship with man and often did in the garden of eden. To be justified is to be without blame in the eyes of God.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?

The Bible says Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness. Abraham's faith brought about God's justification. Mind though, God had specifically chosen Abraham. He was just an ordinary person through whom God decided to work out His purpose. From the moment God called Abraham he became dependent on God because God told him to leave his home and country and live somewhere he'd never even seen before. It was Abraham's faith that God would take care of him that God credited to him as righteousness.

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

We hear or read about or in some way discover God's love and forgiveness and His desire for us to come back into a relationship with Him and we accept by faith the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for our sins. God credits that to us as being put right with Him. It's only after that initial "conversion" from being God's enemy to God's friend that the Christian life can begin. There is nothing I can do to make myself acceptable to God. It's up to God's Grace to accept me and to declare me righteous in His sight. I have to believe that has indeed happened.

• 5 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

A. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3) what was the relationship between faith and justification?

Abraham was justified by faith. Paul is saying that if we want to be justified by faith we simply have t have faith in God. We have to BELIEVE that God is our Father and that His Son, Jesus, was sent not to condemn the world but to save it.

B. For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification?

If we believe that Jesus is God

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

To me being justified means being made clean, right with God so I can enter into a relationship with him. I have often wondered about this statement that Abraham was justified because of his faith, because at the time they were under the law and didn't have Jesus sacrifice to cleanse them. I think faith is actively trusting God in a way that is shown through our obedience to him. This is clearly seen in Abraham's life when he is willing to sacrifice Isaac. We see Abraham growing in his faith throughout his life. I think in Abraham's day following the law was neccessary, but people could just follow the law out of habit or legalism. What set Abraham apart was his faith, his active obedience to God even when it didn't make sense. This is what made him right with God. Similarly, many people today can do kind and wonderful things. They may observe a "christian" lifestyle, but if they don't have the belief and faith in God they aren't right with God, justified.

• 1 month later...

Abraham;s faith truly assured him that he was made righteous in God's sight. He believed and trusted that in whatever God told him. This was because of his relationship with God. As our faith grows and our knowledge of God and what he has done for us. We have confidence in seeing God as loving and generous. We cannot belive that he just allowed his son to die for no reason or in vain. We also have to belive and trust in what he did for us as sinners that we have truly been made righteous in God's eyes. Being free from the bondages of sin, being able to come into the presence of God freely and without condemnation, being forgiven for our sins and made righteous means that we are truly Justified.

• 3 weeks later...

To have faith is learned by our experience in being led by the Holy Spirit. The apostles were with Jesus 3 ys and didn't have faith till after he was re-born/resurrected and showed himself to them. We are among the blessed {John 17] to believe though we have not seen HIM. He lives in us and grows deeper and deeper. We have no logical basis to be justified. We are justified by His blood and His grace.

• 2 weeks later...

The relationship for abraham was to be faithful to God and Commit himself to Our Father, and be obedient in all he asks. As for myself it is about the same as Abraham, to be committed to Our Father in heaven and be obedient to all his laws and him and Jesus as well. To be justified to me is to be obedient, to know that you have a permant home for eternity in heaven with Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and Our Father God.

• 4 weeks later...

The relationship between faith and justification comes when Abraham allows God to do for him instead of trying to do for himself. With unwavering faith he trusts in the Lord. This is the faith by which he will be justified, meaning that he is at peace with God; deemed righteous and pardoned of all sins.

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham trusted God and by doing this he was made righteous in God's sight.

We are also made righteous in God's sight when we trust in Jesus and believe that He has died to atone for our sins. We understand we cannot work for our justification and learn to humbly rely on Jesus' finished work on the cross. We trust God and are made righteous in His sight.

For me, to be justified, means that I can rest assured in God's love for me; that I can quit trying to earn my salvation and learn to humbly rely on God in my life. My "default mode is religion" (work for righteousness) and Satan tries to convince me that more needs to be done for me to be justified but it is a lie. Jesus Christ did it all on the cross. The trust I have in Him cleanses me from my past, present and future sins and the undeserved love that God has shown me enables me to love my fellow humans and bring forth fruits.

• 1 month later...

I believe that we are justified by God by believing that Jesus took our sins to the cross. It is by the grace of God that we are saved and have a right standing with God. Only by believing in Christ can we stand before God with no condemntation. I believe the Lord will look on believers as pure becuase of what Christ did for us.

For Abraham the relationship between faith and justification was that Abraham BELIEVED God's word. By Abraham believing God and not doubting Him his faith in God's word was accounted towards him for righteousness.

For us the relationship between faith and justification is that we had to BELIEVE that Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again on the third with all power. At that point we received salvation and was in right standing (declared righteous) before God. Because of our faith and belief that Jesus is God's begotten Son that died for our sins. Belief is the only way to salvation to being justified.

To be justified means to be acquitted of all my sins transgressions and iniquites that I have done.

Just-if-ied never done it.

• 1 month later...

Abraham believed God.

We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He died for our sins.

Abraham believed what God said-that caused him (Abraham) to be justified.

For us, it is of faith, that it might be by grace. In other words, our faith in what God says justifies us. Therefore, we have access to God through Jesus' death on the cross.

Just like I said, I have faith that Jesus died for my sins. Therefore, because Jesus died for my sins, I have access to God, and I have an Advocate in Jesus! I have gained so much because I believe in Jesus' redeeming death and resurrection! Justification is one of the things that I have because of Jesus' death on the cross!

• 3 weeks later...

Justification means being made righteous - right and acceptable to God, we obtain this by faith, believing and trusting in the work of Jesus at the cross. Abraham had such faith in God that he even prophetically offered his only son as a sacrifice on mount Mariah.

Faith means trusting in, clinging to and cleaving ourselves to God, through this act we receive justification from our awesome God!

• 3 months later...

For Abraham he trusted God and Obeyed there for by his trust in the Lord he was justified. God forgave his sins because Abraham had faith in God. For us because we accepted Jesus as our savior and we trust Jesus then by his blood we have been justified. The difference between faith and being justified in my mind is. Faith is a trust and a belief in Jesus even though we have not seen Him or tuched Him in a physical since. Justifed is because of our faith in Jesus our sins are forgiven and we are right with God. We are sinless in His eyes.

For Abraham he trusted God and Obeyed there for by his trust in the Lord he was justified. God forgave his sins because Abraham had faith in God. For us because we accepted Jesus as our savior and we trust Jesus then by his blood we have been justified. The difference between faith and being justified in my mind is. Faith is a trust and a belief in Jesus even though we have not seen Him or tuched Him in a physical since. Justifed is because of our faith in Jesus our sins are forgiven and we are right with God. We are sinless in His eyes.

Abraham believed God and never waivered. In spite of all that was against him (his age and the deadness of Sarah's womb), he believed and trusted God's word.

To me, to be justfied means trusting in the saving grace of Jesus Christ by faith. His response is the promise of righteousness, not because of my works, but because of the work of the cross. In other words, I have faith in HIS work, and I'm therefore justified (made righteous) because of faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham's faith was based purely on the promises of GOD- not the law. His faith was so profound that God gave him circumcision as a seal, and promised that his offspring would be heirs to the world- through the righteousness that comes through faith, not the law- as stated in chapter 4:13. Verse 22 states (chapter 4) This is why "it was credtied to him as righteousness"- which was due to his unwaivering faith. GOD gives all who believe " in HIM who raised JESUS our LORD from the dead"- the credit of righteousness, and through our faith and credited righteousness, we are justified ( or acquitted from our sins ), because JESUS was "Delivered over to death for our sins, and was raised to life for our justification.

So what is the relationship? Righteousness is given to us as a result of our faith. Our righteousness gives us our justification from our sins through JESUS.

My understanding is that by believing in God, Abraham was made right with HIM. Since FAITH was the key to salvation, his belief justified him.

For me, this means that my belief in Jesus as the Son of God is my salvation and therefore, makes me "right" with God and this is a gift....it is nothing that I did or elected to do whatsoever. Justification is the result of faith.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Pastor Ralph @ Aug 16 2008, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Abraham had faith in God's promise that he will be a father of nations even though he (and Sarah) was too old to have children. Because of that faith in believing the impossible God considered him righteous, not for what his works but for his belief that God will make him a father of nations.

As for us I believe that our faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour and as the One who was sent down to earth to be the Sacrificial Lamb as an atonement for sins will justify our entry into His Kingdom of righteousness. Our faith in Him gives us the right to call Him Abba father and inherit his character that is his righteousness.

Justified means that Jesus our Lord has done everything needed to redeem us and we just have to believe in Him to access all his promises.

• 3 months later...

For me, faith being the outstanding "requirement" for salvation is awe inspiring. It's not works, not how much money I tithe on Sundays, it's not even the amount and depth of my past sins that hinder me from entering His kingdom! As long as I believe in God and trust His promises I can be assured of salvation. To me, true faith brings about a series of events: because I have faith I want to learn more about my Savior, because I have faith I believe in his word where it says "If I repent my sins will be forgiven," -- all I have to do is believe. Some days my belief is stronger than others and other days I feel like I'll never make it into the kingdom but, as always, I am justified -- made right, reunited with, in relationship again with God solely because I believe. WOW.

For Abaham what has always stood out to me is that he was willing to place his son on an alter for sacrifice. As a Mother, I can't imagine the amount of faith that it took! Would I be able to do that? Abraham's faith brought about repeated justification when he sinned and his sins went deep. If God forgave and justified Abraham then, there's a chance for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham trusted and believed in God for everything. Therefore, Abraham followed God in all ways and did everything God wanted him to do. He glorified God in all his works. God, in turn, justified Abraham of all his sin. God knew Abraham was not perfect but loved him and justified him anyways. Today is a hard world to live in. So many bad things happen everyday. If we have faith in God, our lives will be justified even though we are not perfect. Faith is the first step to living a Godly life. It brings many things to your life not just justification. Justification is just one bonus but an important bonus. When you're justified, you not only are forgiven but are able to live a life close to God. You are reborn and start a journey that you must have faith to be able to fulfill. Trust in God for all things!!!!!!