JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

The relationship between faith and justification for Abraham was that he had believed God's promise and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

For us,the relationship between faith and justification is that we have been justified thru faith in Christ's blood and declared righteousness.

I have often heard justification referred to as ' just if I had never sinned.' When we accept by faith that Christ died for our sins on the cross, God removes our sin from us and gives us the righteousness of Christ.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Faith is like jumping on a very late night bus supposingly destined to "HOME" although one has never had the actual experience of taking that bus and ending up HOME before. The bus is open to everybody because God loves us all and His Grace is given to us all. However, only those who willingly choose to get on will be taken HOME. In the mean time there will be lots who either don't trust the bus or believe they have other ways to get HOME. Well those who don't get on will never get HOME ,which to me, our HEAVENLY HOME. JUSTIFICATION on the other hand is like GOD'S ACCEPTANCE OF US TO GET ON THE BUS![/size]

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

1. For Abram ham:

You have to look at the word accounted: In this text of the word God accredited his salvation to him by the precursor of the coming shed blood of the Lamb. The lamb that was provided for Isaac and the shedding of his blood was a precursor to the future shedding of the blood of The Lamb of God, Jesus Christ. Sense there had to be a shedding of the blood for sin, God arranged for this blood to be accredited to Abraham and his son so that from now on generations to be borne would be cover with this shedding until the Lamb of God would be borne and His blood was shed permanently for all sin. This would justify all for eternity.

Now that Christ has come to shed His blood on Calvary, God has taken what was once just considered laying in what would be like an account and turned it into a credit. Now Abraham and the ones coming after him are justified by record and are written in the Lamb's Book Of Life. This is part of the covenant made that night with Abraham.

2. For us the believers of Jesus Christ:

We don't have to wait to be justified like Abraham did. The moment we confess Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we become justified. We do not have to wait as Abraham did.

God used Abraham's faith to start the road to setting up the Church of Jesus Christ and the blessings flow today because of his faith and he also understood how he would lose his soul if he chose not to believe and start to change his heart to living a holy life. He knew that one day, God would send His Son and justified him and the ones to come after him.

So, we can say now that not only are we justified by faith, but now the saints of old are to such as Abraham. He is not waiting a abode somewhere now he is sitting at the right of Jesus, just as we all will be one day. Glory to God!

for Abraham, faith brought justification

for us it is the same

first a longing for goodness

then, reaching out with faith

what does it mean to be justified

it means to be at peace in my heart

the disquiet quietened

the uneasiness eased

the world may still trouble me at times

but everything is easier standing on high ground

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

I love The Message translation of these verses. It talks about what God ALWAYS wanted to do - set us in right relationship with Him, and about when we turn in faith to God, He is ALREADY there waiting for us.

God never wanted sin to be the burden it is, He never wanted us to be separated from Him, and having done all He could - sending Jesus - HE NOW WAITS EXPECTANTLY FOR US TO TURN TO HIM

If we believe that we have received salvation through Christ, then we are justified. We just need to believe that we receive!

Q1. FAITH AND JUSTIFICATION.

Abraham was justified by faith because he believed God. He believed everything that God said to him and he never doubted for one moment that God could, and would do everything that He said He would do. For a while it seemed that God WOULD change His mind (at Abraham's request) and spare the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah if He found 5 righteous people there, but there was so much wickedness in those cities that God demolished them completely. Abraham's justification enabled him to be God's friend and they could converse together like two human friends.

B) It is similar with us, for we must have faith to become justified. But first we must come to the cross, repentant, and confessing our sins to God. We must confess that we need a Saviour and recognise that Jesus Christ died for us so that we could be reconciled with God. We must accept Jesus' forgiveness and when we are washed clean with the Blood of the Lamb, we are then Justified by Faith. Hallelujah!

Greta

For Abraham, the relationship between faith and justification was that Abraham believed God and responded to God in faith. Thus, the scripture says that God found Abraham to be righteous.

For Christians today, we believe that Jesus Christ, the Messiah, went to the cross and died for the atonement of human/personal sin and that in doing so, we are made right with God or justified. Justified - condemnation has been removed from the believer because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. Our relationship with God has been made right through Jesus Christ.

Like Abraham, we believe and trust God and respond to Him in faith. We claim Jesus Christ as the way, the truth, and the life in faith and are justified with God in doing so.

Q1- For Abraham, his justification was when God accepted him as righteous which came as a result of his faith and believing in God.

Q2 - For us, our justification or being put right with God comes as a result of our faith in Jesus Christ. This means that we gain our righteousness through Jesus Christ.

Q3 - For me, justified means to be vindicated in your beliefs or actions. In this context, I think it means too be put right with God or to be considered in the righteous by God.

I got this from our Bible study recently. Thought it would be useful for others as well.

What is justification by faith?

Justification is the legal act where God declares the sinner to be innocent of his or her sins. It is not that the sinner is now sinless, but that he is "declared" sinless. This declaration of righteousness is being justified before God. This justification is based on the shed blood of Jesus, "...having now been justified by His blood..." (Rom. 5:9) where Jesus was crucified, died, was buried, and rose again (1 Cor. 15:1-4). God imputes (reckons to our account) the righteousness of Christ. At the same time our sins were imputed to Christ when he was on the cross. That is why it says in 1 Pet. 2:24, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed." Also, 2 Cor. 5:21 says, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." Additionally, we are justified by faith (Rom. 5:1) apart from works of the Law (Rom. 3:28).

To be saved means that God has delivered us (saved us) from His righteous wrathful judgment due us because of our sins against Him. It means that we will not be judged for our sins and be sentenced to eternal damnation. To be saved means that we are justified before God.

Abraham was deemed righteous because he had faith that God would deliver his promises. He was made right (justified) beause of his belief that God would fulfill every promise. We are justified because of our faith in Jesus Christ. His blood was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. Justification is our right standing before a Holy and Pure God. There was nothing we could do for ourselves, it was his dying on the cross for mankinds sins.

• 2 weeks later...

Faith & Justification

My understanding is that God the Father has given us His Word so that we may believe. Our justification has been made possible through Jesus Christ - His coming - living among us - his suffering - his death and resurrection have paid for the required settlement needed to set us free and to open up a relationship with God. Once we accept that truth we are then justified - able to claim all the provisions God has for us in Christ Jesus. Faith allows us to get access to God and to take all that He can offer.

I pray for all of us to grasp the meaning of justification and to live it out in our daily life. Jesus said to the disciples in Acts 1 " 7He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." As we obey God by witnessing for Jesus, may the Holy Spirit reminds us and give us the right words to convey this truth of justification to those who are yet to take hold of salvation.

For Abraham it was obedience; submitting to the will of God, his confidence in the Lord.

For us, it is obedience unto God. When one puts their faith and beleive on what God has done for them even when one was a depraved, God hating criminal, Christ stepped into our place to take the punishment of sin.

When one accepts that truly and lives accordingly our Lord sees us justified, redeemed.

the relationship for abraham was faithful without question belived with his heart gods word.

2. faith and justification means tbat christ died on the cross for us which gives us away into gods kingdom and if the beliver has faith thats justifaction.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quot

To have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. We now rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

Adam had chosen to believe satan rather than God and acted accordingly. This destroyed his wonderful relationship with God and it could not be won back. Abraham chose to believe God and act accordingly. This made the relationship possible and a whole new thing began on the face of the earth which Jesus later sanctified by His blood. He believed God, and God had the joy of treating him just as if original sin had never been perpetrated (justification). If you don't believe someone then it is impossible to have an intimate relationship with that person. Intimacy depends on trust.

For us, intimacy with God depends entirely on whether we trust God, or whether we trust other opinions. If we trust other opinions then we cannot share the wonder of God's revelation within our spirit. If we trust and do all that God commands us we put ourselves, by choice, in a position of intimacy with God. He does not force this intimacy. We have to choose it. If we do choose to believe (trust, be directed by) Him, then we enter the Heavenly family by adoption, and all that Heaven offers is ours and we have access to it, through the blood of Jesus which covered the price of sin and all forms of violence in God's exquisite kingdom. Faith is simply the action that is consequent upon what a person believes. Faith in Jesus means action in consequence of believing Jesus. It brings connection, adoption, relationship, what ever way you like to describe it, because God responds immdiately to it with His love. It is the invitation He needs to become involved in a man's life. It is the opening of the door on which He knocks, that He might come in and sup.

To be justified means the adoption papers have been drawn up, agreed to, and signed, giving all the rights of a son to the adopted person. It means I am in, I belong, I'm family. It means God is my Father (just as He was to Jesus) and no human being can take that away from me. It means that, as I grow, all the family traditions will be implanted in me, I get to put things on Father's cheque book, use His insignia and Name, I have a huge family of brothers and sisters with the same privileges and responsibilities. It means the family will back me if I have need for it, and there is nothing that can stand against that kind of strength. What miraculous blessing that is!

Abraham's faith, simply believing God, brought him righteousness.

For us, we have peace with God because of our faith that brings justification for us. Without faith, there is no justification. Faith is the substance that allows us to receive God's forgiveness or justification.

To be justified means to be forgiven and counted as righteous.

Faith and justification go hand in hand. In other words, one without the other cannot work. We need faith, first of all, to believe that through Christ's death and resurrection, that justification has been granted to us, if we indeed believe this. In Romans 4, Abraham "believed," and through this was righteousness imputed on him. In Romans 5, we are granted justification because of our belief in Christ, therefore gaining access to the hope that only He can give.

• 4 weeks later...

Justification to me means...

I am a sinner, I continue to sin, I will always sin; yet, the Creator of the Universe loves me so much that He forgives me each and every time I run ahead of Him, lag behind Him, wander over to the fence that separates the sheep from the wolves, or just flat out defy Him and decide I'm going to do my own thing.

The King of Kings calls me His own...which makes me a Princess of the Most High. No matter how dirty I look, I am still His Princess. :wub:

Because we were in the world and not in line with the salvation of the cross were were not justified by faith. When we accepted Jesus as our Savior and

came into alignment with him and the cross we were then justified. To justify something is to show to be right or reasonable. :rolleyes:

Because righteousness was imputed to Abram as a result of his faith - or his trust in the one who was reliable to carry out His Word, we also receive the same declaration when we place our faith in Christ. God declares us to be justified, and our lives are written in the book of life. When we are justified, the penalties due for our sin is wiped completely clean. Our relationship with the father is then repaired and we can approach Him boldly and without fear.

Because I believe in the work of the cross, and Jesus' sacrificial death, Iam fit for the Kingdom. Iam justified. Justified, to me, means acceptible to worship, to receive blessings, have prayers answered-not always the way I want, but answered, nonetheless.