JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Our suffering and tribulation are not permanent. They are there to enable us to develop more Christlike characters. They help us to learn to hold on inspite of; to cling to no matter the odds, and by doing so we draw closer to God and our hope of eternal salvation. 

Thus better to endure with rejoicing and peace for the final product will be worth it all. 

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s incredibly difficult to rejoice in suffering. My first reaction to suffering is to beg for deliverance and for an end to the pain; it is not to rejoice. This suggests my character needs  improvement, that I need to be more Christ-like.  But there have been times, rare though recent, when I have spontaneously rejoiced through the pain. As I rejoiced, I thought immediately of Paul in prison, singing in front of the guards to whom he was chained. I cannot say I was overwhelmed with peace or even the presence of God. Others have experienced His presence in a closer way.

I rejoice because this is what God via Paul tells me to do and I obey Him. Rejoicing starts with half-hearted obedience and then, God willing, becomes more genuine. I think God honours my efforts, small as they may be. I have rejoiced through tears. Through sobs. Through begging to be delivered. Even these pathetic attempts at rejoicing cause me to look at Him, for a moment at least, and not at the circumstances which right now, are dire.

Perseverance is the stick-to-it-no-matter-what attitude that doesn’t pretend that suffering is desirable or wanted, and isn’t even sure if the suffering is of God or Satan, and has no idea why it is happening or if there is something for which I need to repent, but continues to get up, do devotions, pray for anything … for His help! Perseverance is continuing when His help does NOT come, when His timing doesn't seem fast enough and when the trauma is so deep that I cannot sleep and vomit incessantly.

A tried character is one strong enough to be dependable. To me, that’s what His trying is about – producing Christians who are constant, true, dependable and like rocks.

Hope is, by definition, is future oriented. It’s the part of me that clings to the slim reed that this trial will end with vindication, joy and peace, as well as a stronger character and a deeper knowledge of Him. I hope because He can bring good out of evil, bring redemption out of spiritual poverty, bring freedom to those captive and bring glory to His name.